Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 minute ago, Nold said:

I'm very much in the camp for Davidson to g, but what we have to consider however is the situation we're in and the effect it will have. Firstly we have a bloated and aging first team squad, secondly the club is for sale and, at best, we have a greatly maligned interim board. If we were to get rid of the manager, can we trust said board to appoint a decent replacement, especially given our recent transfer history? Further, what calibre of manager could we attract given our current issues at both board and team level? Cleland and Craig would be cheap, require no thought and would therefore be the first option. We're in a bad situation, but that would be a downgrade. Alternatively we could end up with the likes of Jim McIntyre, or some other well Kent face of Scottish football's managerial graveyard. A long and rambling way of saying we're in trouble, but the it runs deeper than the manager.I'm very much in the camp for Davidson to g, but what we have to consider however is the situation we're in and the effect it will have. Firstly we have a bloated and aging first team squad, secondly the club is for sale and, at best, we have a greatly maligned interim board. If we were to get rid of the manager, can we trust said board to appoint a decent replacement, especially given our recent transfer history? Further, what calibre of manager could we attract given our current issues at both board and team level? Cleland and Craig would be cheap, require no thought and would therefore be the first option. We're in a bad situation, but that would be a downgrade. Alternatively we could end up with the likes of Jim McIntyre, or some other well Kent face of Scottish football's managerial graveyard. A long and rambling way of saying we're in trouble, but the it runs deeper than the manager.

You can say that again!

5 minutes ago, Nold said:

I'm very much in the camp for Davidson to g, but what we have to consider however is the situation we're in and the effect it will have. Firstly we have a bloated and aging first team squad, secondly the club is for sale and, at best, we have a greatly maligned interim board. If we were to get rid of the manager, can we trust said board to appoint a decent replacement, especially given our recent transfer history? Further, what calibre of manager could we attract given our current issues at both board and team level? Cleland and Craig would be cheap, require no thought and would therefore be the first option. We're in a bad situation, but that would be a downgrade. Alternatively we could end up with the likes of Jim McIntyre, or some other well Kent face of Scottish football's managerial graveyard. A long and rambling way of saying we're in trouble, but the it runs deeper than the manager.I'm very much in the camp for Davidson to g, but what we have to consider however is the situation we're in and the effect it will have. Firstly we have a bloated and aging first team squad, secondly the club is for sale and, at best, we have a greatly maligned interim board. If we were to get rid of the manager, can we trust said board to appoint a decent replacement, especially given our recent transfer history? Further, what calibre of manager could we attract given our current issues at both board and team level? Cleland and Craig would be cheap, require no thought and would therefore be the first option. We're in a bad situation, but that would be a downgrade. Alternatively we could end up with the likes of Jim McIntyre, or some other well Kent face of Scottish football's managerial graveyard. A long and rambling way of saying we're in trouble, but the it runs deeper than the manager.

Jim lives pretty local and is desperate for another job. He’s your man. Please make it happen. 

10 minutes ago, Nold said:

image.gif.36d3e113dce31518de53d12b37a8a097.gif

19 minutes ago, double deluxe said:

Are we at ‘Stark must go’ levels yet?

I was only young then. 

Not quite due to league position do due to that said league position some of the support will be patient.

But off the field attitude towards fans I'm disgusted and more willing to protest/show my anger for that reason. 

I want the manager out tbh but willing to be a bit more patient about that than I am about the shite coming out the boardroom. I just feel like they're taking the piss.

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

2 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

At least the manager will get off lightly next weekend. Less than 200 tickets sold for saints fans!!

Disappointed it's under 200 tbh. Hope there's a few happy clappers out there wanting a refund that they won't get after todays performance.

11 hours ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

I've been saying it to friends and other fans in person for ages. Maybe even to you in person!!!

Possibly, I know 2 people since last season that were okay about Davidson staying. One has now changed his opinion and the other I've not seen since Christmas. 

I've rarely posted recently because I've nothing original, insightful or constructive to add to what folk are (now pretty much universally) saying, and it's abolutely gutting what's happened to our club. I don't miss many games but after yeserday, I can't see me being back for a while.

I was always in a minority in thinking that the second generation of the Brown family should not have taken on the club, but that's a differnt conversation. What matters is the here and now and the fact is that every significant decision taken by the club will be in the context of how it impacts the viability and value of the sale. CD will only go when the cost of his removal, which will be considerable, is thought to be less than the cost of the damage done to the selling price and/or the speed and quality of sale. My personal view is that in the last month we are now getting quite close to that point but, for it to tip over, relgation has to become a real possibility.

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

17 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

I've rarely posted recently because I've nothing original, insightful or constructive to add to what folk are (now pretty much universally) saying, and it's abolutely gutting what's happened to our club. I don't miss many games but after yeserday, I can't see me being back for a while.

I was always in a minority in thinking that the second generation of the Brown family should not have taken on the club, but that's a differnt conversation. What matters is the here and now and the fact is that every significant decision taken by the club will be in the context of how it impacts the viability and value of the sale. CD will only go when the cost of his removal, which will be considerable, is thought to be less than the cost of the damage done to the selling price and/or the speed and quality of sale. My personal view is that in the last month we are now getting quite close to that point but, for it to tip over, relgation has to become a real possibility.

I think it is a real possibility now. We’re 4 points above the play off spot and all 3 teams currently on 20 points have a game in hand on us. We’ve got the old firm in 2 of our next 3 league games (and we’ll likely be out of the cup this time next week too). 

We’ve chucked more resources at Davidson than probably anyone since Sturrock, he’s spent a fortune on old players, shite players and evidently players he doesn’t and has never trusted and all of them on long contracts that we won’t be in a position to empty. So we either need to continue on with a huge squad or gamble that they have enough about them to keep us up (or get us up) next year again. 

The level of incompetence and neglect on display at the club right now is shameful. Just about every aspect of the club is a complete shambles, from onfield, football managing, operations management to ticketing to the state of the pitch to the kiosks generally. I don’t think I’ve ever seen us in such disarray, and it’s pretty clear the fans have turned now too. 

Bad bit is, Davidson has a squad of 33 players and most of them will be on a fortune. The club shouldn’t have to bail him out with a massive spending spree again but it’s clearly what he and his journalist pals will start blaming. There’s a hint of that already with the Wotherspoon contract. 

Edited by Kyle

14 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I think it is a real possibility now. We’re 4 points above the play off spot and all 3 teams currently on 20 points have a game in hand on us. We’ve got the old firm in 2 of our next 3 league games (and we’ll likely be out of the cup this time next week too).

Oh I agree it's more than possible and on current form you'd have to say 'likely'. The board have put themselves between a rock and hard place, once again in the same position (how many times now?) of whether to stick or twist with Davidson. I suspect the answer will be to do neither - not sack him or back him, just run more time out of his and other contracts and hope we'll do just enough to sell the club as a premiership side come the end of the season, although they will surely want it to be sooner. Davidson becomes someone else's problem and no doubt the compensation will be priced into the deal.

Fundamentally you are right though - incompetence and neglect are exactly the words I'd use.

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

13 hours ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

I was only young then. 

Not quite due to league position do due to that said league position some of the support will be patient.

But off the field attitude towards fans I'm disgusted and more willing to protest/show my anger for that reason. 

I want the manager out tbh but willing to be a bit more patient about that than I am about the shite coming out the boardroom. I just feel like they're taking the piss.

I’d say that Davidson has been just as disrespectful to the club and fans over the past year. He has turned a source of pride into a club where footballers live in fear of expressing themselves on the pitch in case they’re frozen out or punted on loan immediately, he chooses the exact same unsuccessful set-up every week, and he has tried to sugarcoat his consistent failures by claiming that St Johnstone ‘have no right to be in this league’.