Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

22 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Quite interesting look at Michael O’Halloran’s playtime since the Scottish Cup last year. According to Transfermarkt in he played 1,568 minutes between Galatasaray away and Kelty, managed 13 minutes before going back off injured in Kelty and has played 313 minutes in the year since, with 193 of those in the League Cup group stage. 

Not really sure what my point is and I doubt anybody else actually cares, but yeah. Waste of a wage and the final years of his career. 

Would’ve been an ideal option off the bench last night IMO.

Hmmm...

Not sure the manager agrees either.

As fans we do want him to be a success though. I think his issue is he knows he's got to do something to get a start so can't play with the freedom of someone who knows they won't get left out immediately after a poor performance. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

I actually don't disagree with that post. He's impressed me against Livingston at Rangers with his first touch, his passing and his game intelligence. See for example the little cushioned header to set up Nicky Clark for his volley on Saturday - that was a clever and well weighted touch.

He's just desperately short of a killer instinct in front of goal. Nicky Clark, Stevie May, even Chris Kane all put their foot through that chance Bair had that Tavernier cleared off the line. If Bair can learn that he could prove useful. 

1 hour ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

I actually don't disagree with that post. He's impressed me against Livingston at Rangers with his first touch, his passing and his game intelligence. See for example the little cushioned header to set up Nicky Clark for his volley on Saturday - that was a clever and well weighted touch.

He's just desperately short of a killer instinct in front of goal. Nicky Clark, Stevie May, even Chris Kane all put their foot through that chance Bair had that Tavernier cleared off the line. If Bair can learn that he could prove useful. 

Think this is pretty much spot on. Slow progress but he’s getting better each time he comes off the bench. In terms of learning how to use his frame, he’s getting there. As you say, the cushioned header was intelligent. His movement for his chance was excellent as well, just wish he’d got more on it. 

Goes without saying that he needs to go on loan but at least he’s getting involved in games when he’s on the park now. 

12 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Cammy Kerr fully intends on ending his career at Dundee. Fortunately for you lads.

I wouldn't be disappointed to be proven wrong but this has shite journo talk written all over it.

A group of our fans have gone on some weird mission to pump out as many daft rumours about us as possible in the past few days, since the Jordan White stuff, so its come from there im sure.

i see it’s actually the fans fault, not the boards fault for the Rangers away allocation, according to Rangers fans. 

also heard there’s sadly some seats clearly damaged in the east.

17 minutes ago, mizfit said:

i see it’s actually the fans fault, not the boards fault for the Rangers away allocation, according to Rangers fans. 

It's funny, they're quick to point the finger at other fans. 

It won't be their fault those seats are broken, or their club went under etc etc. 

I can accept that the seats will break occasionally through over excitement (which I've accidentally done myself before) or even leaning on them. If that was the case fine. If they broken through being a moron that's not fine, although we'll never know. 

A sideways question for everyone. I obviously wasn't there on Saturday. Does anyone know if there was a noticably larger police presence than usual against the Old Firm? One that would explain that "reason" being used? 🤔 

It was about the only one on their list that that I thought might have produced a real increase in cost, ie if the police demanded additional 30% police numbers etc!

Well, from watching the television the stewards didn’t walk up and down the stairs, they also didn’t pull them up for hiding advertising boards and looked like they were more interested in watching football. 

so probably not. 

14 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Theyll never understand so its a waste of time trying to explain. Theyve got a sense of superiority/entitlement that denies them logic.

Craven little clubs like ours bending the knee for a quick buck, even though theyre loaded, probably doesnt help.

7 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Well, from watching the television the stewards didn’t walk up and down the stairs, they also didn’t pull them up for hiding advertising boards and looked like they were more interested in watching football. 

so probably not. 

Yeah those in the East stood for 90 minutes, including in the walkways, without a single glance.

So just the usual soft policing of Old Firm fans.

Question:

How much did the boycott by Saints fans cost the club? Although the away support must have been higher ours must have been what 2000 down on the last home game against them.

Was all the bad press and upsetting our fans worth it?

Don’t think so.

Completely off-topic, was looking at past Saints v Celtic clips for the ‘goals VAR would have ruled out/in’ thread and found this clip from Muirton Park.

Always strange seeing matches there as there’s not that much footage about.  Looks like we’ve just borrowed any colour of socks to avoid the clash with Celtic, but surely blue would have been a better choice!!

18 minutes ago, Broughty said:

Question:

How much did the boycott by Saints fans cost the club? Although the away support must have been higher ours must have been what 2000 down on the last home game against them.

Was all the bad press and upsetting our fans worth it?

Don’t think so.

They thought we'd all grumble but still turn up in numbers like the usual Old Firm games. So they thought they could get away with it. They presumed the very regular contingent would show up regardless. 

The financial cost for this one game is negligible I imagine. Still probably have earned more than if it was £25 and no stand moving.

The real cost is those who stop going longer term/decide to go less and obviously the terrible PR won't do them any favours. 

Was it worth it? The fact they seemed completely unwilling to address the reasoning properly and be honest. They even doubled down on it and still won't admit they're wrong suggests they do think it's worth it.

Although I think now based on the tone of most recent statement they're more upset that the fans have managed to control the situation and narrative. It's like they think we're subservient to them. 

1 hour ago, mizfit said:

East is relatively untouched, a few broken in the North Stand however 

On 22/01/2023 at 10:51, capt_oats said:

The SOD situation feels like it's something we could do with resolving.

He was our captain last season but wasn't a particularly good fit. He fell out with Alexander and had the captaincy taken off him in the summer. Coincidentally we then signed Paul McGinn - those dots aren't hard to join.

Since then, despite Alexander being binned, he's really just been used off the bench now and again and only got a run of starts when McGinn was injured or we were down a left back.

That was Max Johnston starting ahead of him at RB against Arbroath yesterday and Johnston's in the press today saying that Hammell's promised him game time having been recalled from Cove (he's OOC in the summer so I'd guess we're trying to make an effort to prove he's valued by the club).

I've mentioned before that I was told we were in for O'Donnell in the summer, after he fell out with Alexander.

The same person told me that O'Donnell had a argument with Hammell after the Rangers game at Ibrox last month. Supposedly, Hammell had told the team to defend as a narrow back 4, allowing crosses into the box and trying to win the subsequent challenges. After the game, Hammell had a go at them for not closing down the Rangers wide players quickly enough, which O'Donnell pointed out wasn't the tactics they were instructed to play by him. Looks like he's not been in your starting line up since.