Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Can’t believe some of the stuff I’m reading today. You’d think we won 3-0 yesterday. Yes it was better than it has been for the last few weeks but the bar was so low! We barely troubled the Rangers goal until the last couple of minutes when Rangers really tired and probably could still be playing now and not scored. Standards set so low by the manager that people are now delighted with a 1-0 defeat to make it 6 lost in a row. Nicholson right on cue, waxing lyrical about the new “ Davidson 4-4-1-1” embarrassing stuff

24 minutes ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

Can’t believe some of the stuff I’m reading today. You’d think we won 3-0 yesterday. Yes it was better than it has been for the last few weeks but the bar was so low! We barely troubled the Rangers goal until the last couple of minutes when Rangers really tired and probably could still be playing now and not scored. Standards set so low by the manager that people are now delighted with a 1-0 defeat to make it 6 lost in a row. Nicholson right on cue, waxing lyrical about the new “ Davidson 4-4-1-1” embarrassing stuff

We're on a 5 game losing run, against a Rangers side about 12 unbeaten, and were unfortunate to lose while playing well. Things on show that showed hope for the future too. 

Im as miserable as anyone but fucking hell.

Edited by RandomGuy.

45 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

We're on a 5 game losing run, against a Rangers side about 12 unbeaten, and were unfortunate to lose while playing well. Things on show that showed hope for the future too. 

Im as miserable as anyone but fucking hell.

Unlucky to lose? If it wasn’t for Mathews it would’ve been a far bigger margin. Most of those Rangers players played 120 minutes last Sunday and midweek and we managed 1 shot that was right into  McGregors hands, yes Rangers unbeaten under Beale but it’s not as though they are pumping teams every week. People are getting carried away because we didn’t get hammered that’s how low things have gotten under this manager. It’s hard to judge the new system at 0-3 down and against Rangers who are expected to have most of the ball. Will it work against fellow diddies though? Knowing Callum it will be back to 5-3-2 and Carey abs Hallberg in the middle 

Edited by Dick Van Dyke

20 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Tommy Wright tried in the past. 

He's nearing or is getting a Testimonial I think so we should be safe. 

Out of contract end of season and this is his testimonial season…..

55 minutes ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

Unlucky to lose? If it wasn’t for Mathews it would’ve been a far bigger margin. Most of those Rangers players played 120 minutes last Sunday and midweek and we managed 1 shot that was right into  McGregors hands, yes Rangers unbeaten under Beale but it’s not as though they are pumping teams every week. People are getting carried away because we didn’t get hammered that’s how low things have gotten under this manager. It’s hard to judge the new system at 0-3 down and against Rangers who are expected to have most of the ball. Will it work against fellow diddies though? Knowing Callum it will be back to 5-3-2 and Carey abs Hallberg in the middle 

We literally had a shot cleared off the line at the end of the match. 

Its the performance that has me positive. Everyone looked more comfortable and i still think this squad can make the top half if its used correctly.

He'll undoubtedly revert back to the back 3 as soon as he can, but theres a glimmer of hope he might not so thats what im grabbing at. The past 18 months have been pretty fucking bleak if you dont enjoy positives when you can.

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

We literally had a shot cleared off the line at the end of the match. 

Its the performance that has me positive. Everyone looked more comfortable and i still think this squad can make the top half if its used correctly.

He'll undoubtedly revert back to the back 3 as soon as he can, but theres a glimmer of hope he might not so thats what im grabbing at. The past 18 months have been pretty fucking bleak if you dont enjoy positives when you can.

That shot was going wide? If Tavernier hadn’t been there it would’ve went out for a goal kick. 

that’s how far Davidson has brought you and others  down that you’re happy with that 

Said it on WAP and ill say it on here, id rather James Brown than Cammy Kerr.

Ideally we sign a RB better than either. 

Edited by RandomGuy.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Said it on WAP and ill say it on here, id rather James Brown than Cammy Kerr.

Ideally we sign a RB better than Kerr. 

I think Brown gets an unfair bad rap. He’s been played in about 3 different positions that are not his natural role, and as a defensive minded right back in a 4 he could do pretty well with a run of games there.  He’s maybe played that role 2/3 times for us? 

5 minutes ago, John Bonham said:

I think Brown gets an unfair bad rap. He’s been played in about 3 different positions that are not his natural role, and as a defensive minded right back in a 4 he could do pretty well with a run of games there.  He’s maybe played that role 2/3 times for us? 

I reckon he would do much better in a 4. Solid enough full back but he's not a wing back. He's not got the ability to to be the main attacking threat in the wide area.

If he could combine with a winger in front of him he might be able to produce now and again offensively as well. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

8 minutes ago, John Bonham said:

Not sure hes ever played RB in a back 4 for us?

Hes one of many made to look worse than they are by the manager setting him up to show his weaknesses. Considering it was Davidson whos built the squad thats yet another major red flag.

Edited by RandomGuy.

We started a midfield 3 of Butterfield, Gilmour and Crawford behind Kane and Ciftci on this day last year. Efe Ambrose was on the bench. Our squad is still stuffed full of shite but we've come a long way since then IMO, even if the squad building has been very haphazard at best.

The aftermath of that Kelty game was the first time I wanted us to sack Davidson. Since then I've never wavered from thinking our interests would be best served by getting rid, but I've also not felt as strongly about sacking him as I did on that day. Basically; that day was the Nadir under Davidson, everything since then has been varying degrees of marginally better, but without ever really being what I would deem acceptable. If he can continue to make progress this season, get us out of this weird slump, score a few goals and not end up in a relegation fight then I think that would satisfy my and most people's standards for now. If we stay in the slump and drop near the bottom in March-ish the calls for him to go will be louder than they were after Kelty, when he benefited from having won the cup double less than 12 months earlier. Yesterday's performance was much more suggestive of the first scenario than the five games before it were - that's why people on here are feeling better about things @Dick Van Dyke

10 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

We started a midfield 3 of Butterfield, Gilmour and Crawford behind Kane and Ciftci on this day last year. Efe Ambrose was on the bench. 

886191062_200w(1)(2).gif.8a7eeeb437064e13f45b0988d4068f71.gif

I was also happier with the performance yesterday. Not happy, but happier!

I was concerned that since the break, we were going backwards at an alarming rate and it reminded me of last year.

So no, we're not even close to where we should be, but at least yesterday and the second half against Livi was progress.

Quite interesting look at Michael O’Halloran’s playtime since the Scottish Cup last year. According to Transfermarkt in he played 1,568 minutes between Galatasaray away and Kelty, managed 13 minutes before going back off injured in Kelty and has played 313 minutes in the year since, with 193 of those in the League Cup group stage. 

Not really sure what my point is and I doubt anybody else actually cares, but yeah. Waste of a wage and the final years of his career. 

Edited by PSJ.84