Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

7 hours ago, Kyle said:

Nicholson trying to help his pal out again, saying bid is 5 figures and that White is not our only option. 

Also says striker is our main priority which seems a bit wild considering how shite our midfield is and our central defence is currently in ribbons, but there you go. 

Is it interesting that Steve Brown is being pushed as the person making the bid? Seems weird to make that a prominent part of the article.

10 hours ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

What I said and what you thought it said were two different things. I didn't express any opinion on whether he's good or bad. What I am saying though is 100k for him is utter madness. 

Davidson has signed a whole squad of 32-35 year old players, many of them journeyman. Many of them have been a disaster. He's used 35+ players since he became the manager. The point stands. Why did he bother going to watch the younger players. He won't sign them.  

We have games recently where there's only been 3 players starting the game under 30. The club invested and worked very hard to bring the age of the squad down. Davidson completely undoing it and spending money not seen by a Saints manager since the 90's. Yet going backwards rapidly. 

I'm afraid you'll need to forgive the many Saints fans who have zero faith in Davidson and his recruitment as since he's joined the club it's been 90% disaster. 

Jordan White himself should think twice of joining any team managed by Davidson anyway His treatment of players. Occasionally publicly berating them directly has left a lot to be desired. 

Since he has joined the club it has been 90% disaster? What happened when you won the cup double then?

51 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Since he has joined the club it has been 90% disaster? What happened when you won the cup double then?

Tommy Wright already had us playing a back 3 with the squad built to flip between 3-5-2 and back 4 set ups.

He'd already put the Kerr/Gordon/McCart back 3 in place and had them playing alongside each other. He'd had Wotherspoon/McCann playing in central midfield together. He signed Shaun Rooney as RWB. May/Hendry hit some great form beside each other.

All Callum Davidson had to do was get the squad working and that was comfortably a top 6 squad. Bryson/Conway were good signings and he struck gold with Melamed, but we had months of stuff like him refusing to play May/Hendry together or Melamed, him playing Shaun Rooney at CB and Ali McCann at RWB rather than play a back 4.

League Cup we scraped past Motherwell and Dunfermline in the cup, scudded Hibs after Jack Ross went 4-4-2 after theyd missed a couple of sitters, then beat Livi after theyd bizarrely starting Marvin Bartley as on the wing.

Scottish Cup was better but by then hed, finally, reverted to TWs plan of 3-5-2 and Rooney at RWB.

Callum Davidson deserves credit for the double, but he was helped massively by the squad being built to how he wanted to use it with some genuinely exceptional players. Im not convinced we'll have youth players like Kerr and McCann in our side at the same time again.

That Summer he refused to improve the squad and since then its just been a disaster. Cant identify long term tactical issues, cant plan long term in the squad, and seems overly reliant on experienced players digging him out a hole. Hes comfortably our biggest spending manager is about 20 years, if not more, and has spent more on strikers (if we sign White) than Coyle/McInnes/Lomas/Wright spent in total combined.

Tl;dr - Good coach/bad tactican. Does well with good squad but cant build a balanced one. John Hughes Mk2

Edited by RandomGuy.

I still say the best thing he could’ve done for his career is leave after the cup double. He was never going too but at that stage people were viewing him as a potential successor to Steve Clarke.

1 minute ago, mizfit said:

I still say the best thing he could’ve done for his career is leave after the cup double. He was never going too but at that stage people were viewing him as a potential successor to Steve Clarke.

If he had any capacity for learning from mistakes then staying with us will be great for his development. Hes literally got freedom to make as many mistakes as he wants with us without fear of the sack, so should grow as a manager and be better than one who just has success until a certain point. One dreadful season in England and hes written off down there.

If he cant learn from mistakes then aye, his stock is unlikely to ever be higher than that Summer.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

If he had any capacity for learning from mistakes then staying with us will be great for his development. Hes literally got freedom to make as many mistakes as he wants with us without fear of the sack, so should grow as a manager and be better than one who just has success until a certain point. One dreadful season in England and hes written off down there.

If he cant learn from mistakes then aye, his stock is unlikely to ever be higher than that Summer.

Last 3 losses were great examples. If every fan in the stands is in agreement with what’s not going right then surely the manager has to be. 

41 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Tommy Wright already had us playing a back 3 with the squad built to flip between 3-5-2 and back 4 set ups.

He'd already put the Kerr/Gordon/McCart back 3 in place and had them playing alongside each other. He'd had Wotherspoon/McCann playing in central midfield together. He signed Shaun Rooney as RWB. May/Hendry hit some great form beside each other.

All Callum Davidson had to do was get the squad working and that was comfortably a top 6 squad. Bryson/Conway were good signings and he struck gold with Melamed, but we had months of stuff like him refusing to play May/Hendry together or Melamed, him playing Shaun Rooney at CB and Ali McCann at RWB rather than play a back 4.

League Cup we scraped past Motherwell and Dunfermline in the cup, scudded Hibs after Jack Ross went 4-4-2 after theyd missed a couple of sitters, then beat Livi after theyd bizarrely starting Marvin Bartley as on the wing.

Scottish Cup was better but by then hed, finally, reverted to TWs plan of 3-5-2 and Rooney at RWB.

Callum Davidson deserves credit for the double, but he was helped massively by the squad being built to how he wanted to use it with some genuinely exceptional players. Im not convinced we'll have youth players like Kerr and McCann in our side at the same time again.

That Summer he refused to improve the squad and since then its just been a disaster. Cant identify long term tactical issues, cant plan long term in the squad, and seems overly reliant on experienced players digging him out a hole. Hes comfortably our biggest spending manager is about 20 years, if not more, and has spent more on strikers (if we sign White) than Coyle/McInnes/Lomas/Wright spent in total combined.

Tl;dr - Good coach/bad tactican. Does well with good squad but cant build a balanced one. John Hughes Mk2

Yeah I’m not saying he hasn’t been shit since then. However, he still won the cup double which is a great achievement. I agree with the messages that he should have left whilst his stock was high

We were right down the bottom of the league after Davidson’s first six months. He then had the greatest six months any diddy club manager has ever had. Since then it has been a disaster.

The first six months I think it’s fair to say we looked well drilled and had some exceptional players in the team (Kerr, McCann, Clark). Things very much clicked the second half of that season and we are brilliant. The good players then left, we’ve replaced them with a far lower standard  - and far older - group and the subsequent 18 months have been dreadful.

9 hours ago, Kyle said:

Would be a shame to see this idiot of a manager’s plan go up in smoke. (might be worth telling him that too @Binos , don’t want him ruining his career by coming to play for this moron.) 

You saintees are seriously deluded about your football club

Without Tommy Wright,  Calum and of course Brown cash

You'd be down Falkirk level 

And possibly will be 

21 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Yeah I’m not saying he hasn’t been shit since then. However, he still won the cup double which is a great achievement. I agree with the messages that he should have left whilst his stock was high

He won the double, which i doubt will ever be matched by a Saints manager, yet almost no Saints fan would say hes our best ever manager.

I genuinely think he'll be like John Hughes if he doesnt start accepting he makes mistakes and changes. Odd bits of success throughout his career but his trajectory will always be downwards.

13 minutes ago, Binos said:

And possibly will be 

How much money have the Browns spent on us?

Edited by RandomGuy.

The Browns who’ve famously spent millions on us. Yeah those Browns. 

End of the day, I’m grateful for what Callum’s done, but for me he’s too stubborn to accept his own faults and shortcomings, he relies too heavily on others bailing him out and doesn’t seem capable of learning from mistakes. 

As fans, we’ve wanted him to succeed and be the best he can, but it’s reached a stage where the fans feel it’s run it’s course and it needs to end. 

The Browns whilst deciding it’s time to sell is fair have made more than a few mistakes recently, and it feels like an air of apathy surrounds the club. A lack of care and understanding is gone. The trust has broken down, not helped by recent actions to piss off our own fanbase. 

Edited by mizfit

25 minutes ago, Binos said:

And possibly will be 

And if your auntie had balls she be your uncle.  

1 hour ago, mizfit said:

Not for the want of trying. 

33 minutes ago, Binos said:

And possibly will be 

Well, yes. That’s kind of how football works.