Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

57 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

About 0:40. Enjoy!

Tremendous stuff!

I was there! Haven't seen it since. Shocking that it's thirty years ago.

That, and memories of the Sturrock team a few years later, remind me that Saints have not always been a so called "well organised" team.

There was a time when we steamrollered opponents and kicked their ass.

Some great football played in the early days of McDiarmid.

Edited by Gekko

38 minutes ago, Gekko said:

Tremendous stuff!

That, and memories of the Sturrock team a few years later, remind me that Saints have not always been a so called "well organised" team.

Nice!   
I had just moved to Australia that year and there is a whole block of Saints football that I missed. All I could get then was the international Daily Record once a week with mostly old firm articles but I could at least get the scores. 
Good to watch 

2 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Did anyone else see the oddball protesting vaccines outside the east stand? 

Police looked like they were fed up with him.

Did indeed. 

Regardless of your views on these things. You're not taking your views from some shambles outside the East Stand are you? 🤷‍♂️😂

1 hour ago, Gekko said:

Tremendous stuff!

Still think Paul Wright is the most technically gifted striker and finisher I’ve seen for us in my time watching.

When I was trying to find that overhead kick, I stumbled across this one. Some tremendous goals, kind of backs what you say about us streamrollering opponents..

Met one of posters from twitter who was having the meltdown about Davidson being sacked. Think they were mentioned on here "you boo boys got him sacked" type stuff. 

Completely unwilling to talk positively about today. 

Did being against 10 men mask some of the poorer parts of the performance? Yeah probably?

Did we show significantly more positively today than we have for months at home? Absolutely. 

That's basically all I ask. A bit of intent. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

9 hours ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Did indeed. 

Regardless of your views on these things. You're not taking your views from some shambles outside the East Stand are you? 🤷‍♂️😂

Don't underestimate that there are some real dim and impressionable folk in the Saintees support. Stand up the top of the carpark after a game and watch and listen as they funnel out. Oaft.

Felt a bit more confident yesterday once I twigged it was a back 4. Happy to see we’re not forcing people into an uncomfortable back 3. 

id have rather had 2 up front that May with support from Maclennan and Wright & Wright, but unlike other times May has been on his own it seemed to work. 

No heads dropping after conceding. That for me was very noticeable. 

Slipped into bad habits of sitting back too long in second half, but when we started pressing Hibs we’re struggling and saved by Marshall. 

We should have enough to pull clear, but need to pick up a win on the first day of the split.

5 minutes ago, mizfit said:

We should have enough to pull clear, but need to pick up a win on the first day of the split.

As stupid as it sounds, it could hinge on the sequence of fixtures we get.

Like Livi or Motherwell at home in the first game, you might catch them cold as they struggle for motivation. Killie or United ones to avoid while they have momentum/confidence. You want to play them after a loss.

Not sure about County. Play them first and win and thats huge, play them first and lose and its a major blow.

Positives from yesterday but a couple of concerns - 1) playing Stevie May up front by himself which we all know doesn't work, 2) constantly putting in cross balls when against 10 men instead of keeping the ball and passing it round to tire them out - we belatedly started this with ten minutes to go.

Overall can't really judge MacLean on one outing. I would imagine he will get the job till the end of the season - if you bring someone else in for five games who isn't really invested in the club / the future, how would that work? Davidson should have gone a long time ago and we are now left in this position.

I'd like to see Murphy and Rudden start in the next game. Spoony looks well off the pace and McLennan offers very little. 

31 minutes ago, monkfish said:

Davidson should have gone a long time ago and we are now left in this position.

Aye. I think we'll finish 11th but feel like itll be more because we waited too long to remove Davidson, rather than giving the job to MacLean.

The capitulation to Livingston in January was probably the best breaking point, looking back, but once they committed to him after that game, we kind of half done enough where you held out hope it could turn around (didnt lost 2 games in a row until April).

Judging by yesterday we'll cause the likes of Killie, County, and Livi, more problems than we did under Davidson recently, but i just worry we wont be able to actually score enough to win the games as we still seem fairly open defensively. Back 4 being played regularly should help, which is why i hope we play Livi/Well first, help everyone settle into the new shape before we play the vital games.

I think that's fair. But without sticking the boot into MacLean after one game, the fact he put May up front by himself despite seeing the fruits of that last season and having played alongside him himself, is a concern. 

It's a case of hoping we have enough to either avoid the playoff, or win it. In terms of winning a playoff we are in a worse position than last year though, so really hope it doesn't come to that - but it's looking more likely than not we finish 11th.

Also, well done to the FCU for the banner thanking Callum. As much as I've wanted a change for a long time, that's not to forget what he's done for the club. 

2 minutes ago, monkfish said:

I think that's fair. But without sticking the boot into MacLean after one game, the fact he put May up front by himself despite seeing the fruits of that last season and having played alongside him himself, is a concern. 

Aye i didnt like it, nor the fact he stuck with it, but maybe he thought it was worth it if the rest of the line up worked well. I think the back 4 worked well, and the wingers worked fairly well (McLennan disappointing but you can see why we wanted to play him).

CM not so much but Phillips/Wotherspoon were kind of poor and both struggled with the pitch kicking the ball up at random points.

Think Rudden shouldve been on simply to lessen the load on May, but he is shite so you can half see why he decided against it i guess. 

I totally get why MacLean didn’t put on any other striker, they’re simply not good enough. However, Rudden should have come on purely because he at least attacks balls in the box, May won’t do that and he’s usually the one putting it in. The moment we went a man up, Rudden should have been the next move, going 2 vs 2 in the middle wouldn’t have affect the game too much I don’t think. 

Not helped by 2/3 of our midfield yesterday having a shocker, I will give the pitch a fair amount of the blame for that. 

For all that folk say Marshall was really good yesterday, goal apart, I feel that he just made the saves I'd expect an alright keeper to make. Us on the other hand look pretty powderpuff in front of goal. That's where our downfall looks to be.

Oh aye, get McPherson as far tae f**k from set plays as possible. The boy thinks he can take free kicks and corners but by f**k he's absolutely shite at them. The amount of set plays we waste compared to other sides is criminal.