Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

16 hours ago, Kyle said:

Ballantyne not getting  any game time until last weekend is utterly baffling when you see him playing, he’s a perfectly passable top flight player and something different to what we already have. Think he’ll only get better with minutes too. 

It's not baffling if you remember who was manager for most of the season. 

4 minutes ago, The Marly said:

It's not baffling if you remember who was manager for most of the season. 

The current manager was sitting on the bench beside him. Davidson was a control freak but that fact about Maclean still makes me feel a bit uneasy about the next 3 years. He surely had some kind of sway in the decision making

Need more players who can chip in with goals from midfield and the wide positions if this 4-3-3 is Maclean's thing imo. Overly reliant on May and Wright for goals all season and that will be even more acute if we stick with the system from last five games.

Spoiler

League goal scorers:
Stevie May: 9
Drey Wright: 7
Nicky Clark: 4
Jamie Murphy: 3
Graham Carey: 3
Melker Hallberg: 2
Ali Crawford: 2
Liam Gordon: 2
Andy Considine: 1
Theo Bair: 1
Alex Mitchell: 1
Own goal: 1
James Brown: 1
Connor McLennan: 1
Zak Rudden: 1
Ryan McGowan: 1
Chris Kane: 1

If we keep Kane, Wotherspoon and Brown from the OOC players, I'd then be looking for a LB, a CB, one more midfielder in the MacPherson/Phillips mould, a winger and then if there's space in the budget a forward, probably on loan (presuming both Crawford and Bair will be shipped far away from Perth). Would give Gallacher a shot at competing for the LB spot with An Other if he's happy to stay. 

Leaves us with something like this, with the option to go 4-4-2. The two defensive positions are the ones Maclean really needs to get right. 

Sinclair

Brown/McGowan  Gordon/McGowan  New CB/Considine   New LB/Gallacher

Phillips/McGowan

MacPherson/New midfielder  Max K/Ballantyne

Wright/New winger                                                                              Carey/Wotherspoon      

May/Kane/Clark/New fwd

Edited by Zamora Fan
Random bold

33 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I think Booth still being with us may kybosh another left back unfortunately, unless we can get Montgomery back or someone who can cover more than one position 

Deas just makes so much sense in a variety of ways, but guess a lot of teams will be after him so we're maybe a hard sell.

21 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Deas just makes so much sense in a variety of ways, but guess a lot of teams will be after him so we're maybe a hard sell.

That was my initial thoughts too. I wonder if there will maybe be a little conversation with Considine over the summer and maybe an acknowledgement that his days at the top level are done (a bit like we did with Ando). Especially now Cove have gone full time, that seems to be the move that makes sense for him. If Sean Dillon can still play that level, so can Considine, but I just see the wheels starting to come off and another season is going to see him badly exposed! 

If the management do deem that Considine is likely to be more of a bit part player I can see him ending up like the likes of MOH and Anderson before him.

Not featuring much before seeing out his contract elsewhere on loan. 

Can't see any moment at all on that kind of situation until we've signed probably 2 in that area to replace which is the difficult bit. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

19 hours ago, Paris Hilltoon said:

If indeed. 

We can't compete with those wages, but I can't see him being on that, I could be wrong, but I don't belive it would be that much. If he was earning that much, Celtic would be looking to have him loaned out at a higher level than us, where they'd likely be able to get a much bigger percentage of the wage covered. 

It's all speculation though, nobody knows. We do have a bit of a war chest in reserve still tho, even after Davidson tried to plunder it. 

He was on loan at us last season, the problem was he was utter dogshit. Zero chance a team at a ‘higher level’ would have taken him on based on that so I wouldn’t base his likely wages off where he ended up this season.

In fairness, he seems to have had an alright season this year.

Pitch is already started on, for those not on Twitter.

Just need some good signings now and we can feel properly excited for the new season.

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Pitch is already started on, for those not on Twitter.

Just need some good signings now and we can feel properly excited for the new season.

The ease at which the top layer of pitch was coming off, tells you how unstable it must have been underfoot. I suspect the grass and roots had started to rot, which meant it was nigh on impossible to fix without totally starting again.

Right so until we confirm who's all leaving and being offered new contracts I've taken a stab at it below, based on first team players only -

Leaving (No new deal offered) - O'Halloran, Hallberg, Vertainan, Gilmour, Murphy, Davidson (retiring)

Leaving (would offer new deal) - Wotherspoon, Kane, Brown

Loans ended - Matthews, Mitchell, Montgomery, McLennan, Rudden

Would ideally return - Mitchell, Montgomery

Try and release - Crawford, Bair, Booth, Considine

Try and loan out - Ferguson, Wills, Gallacher

That's just my initial thoughts on things, no doubt I'll have missed someone or something. I swithered about the likes of Booth and McPherson, but realistically they're not going anywhere so no real point in speculating about them. As I say this is what I'd hope would happen, but I very much doubt I'll get even 50% of it right!