Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

2 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Famous last words but I’ve more faith in MacLean making a deliberate move away from that midfield if things aren’t working, whereas injury would force Davidson’s hand and he’d stumble upon something better. 

Don't judge a manager until they're 3ft deep in shit.

Easy for MacLean to be adventurous when hes got 6 games, with an underperforming squad desperate for change, and just needs 3pts to secure safety and get himself the job.

Will he be as willing to chuck in a Ballantyne in the midst of a 8 game winless streak with us 5pts off safety in February?

Just now, The Saintee said:

Time will tell. But I've convinced myself that Davidson and the contemptible Flaherty have blown about 5 years of budget in the last two seasons. 

I dont think theres any doubt the business over the last few windows will hinder us for years yet.

2 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Time will tell. But I've convinced myself that Davidson and the contemptible Flaherty have blown about 5 years of budget in the last two seasons. 

At least 5 years. Half a Mill in fees before we even needed to pay the useless fuckers.

He has liked my tweets, one which was criticising Davidson for not showing any ambition in the home leg against LASK and keeping him on the bench until far too late.

That night still haunts my dreams, in all honesty. They were there for the taking and it ended up being a real ‘sliding doors’ moment because we only seemed to be concerned with holding onto the 1-1 draw from the first leg instead of taking the initiative at a packed McDiarmid. My feelings toward Davidson wavered a bit that night, and they only got worse throughout the league season. In hindsight, it was a sign of things to come.

I accept that Spoony was stupid to get the red card that night. Contextually though, he should have been starting the game, he had to watch our toothless team whilst warming the bench and then was told by Davidson (already at far too late a point in the match) that he was coming on, was instructed to warm up, and was called to the side of the pitch to finally strip off, before Callum changed  his mind and instructed him to warm up again. Spoony was visibly angry. It was no wonder that he came on and almost instantly saw red.

Edited by The Real Saints

25 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Seeing those on social media claiming it's a "massive shock", "incredible shock" etc. 

Whether you agree or disagree with the decision itself, it's not an incredible shock etc, is it?

It was to me, tbh.

As much as ive been split for a while over whether he should stay or go, pretty much dependent on whether he'd accept the wage of a squad player, i did expect him to sign a new deal.

To actually know hes gone is a shock. 

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It was to me, tbh.

As much as ive been split for a while over whether he should stay or go, pretty much dependent on whether he'd accept the wage of a squad player, i did expect him to sign a new deal.

To actually know hes gone is a shock. 

This is exactly where my mind is. I expected to see an announcement at some point over the summer. 

Who knows, maybe the backlash will make them stop chasing Hallberg and come back to Spoony. We can but dream. 

31 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

He has liked my tweets, one which was criticising Davidson for not showing any ambition in the home leg against LASK and keeping him on the bench until far too late.

That night still haunts my dreams, in all honesty. They were there for the taking and it ended up being a real ‘sliding doors’ moment because we only seemed to be concerned with holding onto the 1-1 draw from the first leg instead of taking the initiative at a packed McDiarmid. My feelings toward Davidson wavered a bit that night, and they only got worse throughout the league season. In hindsight, it was a sign of things to come.

I accept that Spoony was stupid to get the red card that night. Contextually though, he should have been starting the game, he had to watch our toothless team whilst warming the bench and then was told by Davidson (already at far too late a point in the match) that he was coming on, was instructed to warm up, and was called to the side of the pitch to finally strip off, before Callum changed  his mind and instructed him to warm up again. Spoony was visibly angry. It was no wonder that he came on and almost instantly saw red.

Not having that. Spoony was a so called experienced head and fucked the game beyond repair by being an idiot.

11 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Not having that. Spoony was a so called experienced head and fucked the game beyond repair by being an idiot.

No, I agree, there was no excuse for it. I'm just making the point that I understood his anger at that moment in time as I believe he should have started that game and I was feeling angry as a fan. Ultimately, however, he's a professional footballer and he should have been able to rein it in or use it in a positive way. Leave the histrionics to people like me.

3 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

No, I agree, there was no excuse for it. I'm just making the point that I understood his anger at that moment in time as I believe he should have started that game and I was feeling angry as a fan. Ultimately, however, he's a professional footballer and he should have been able to rein it in or use it in a positive way. Leave the histrionics to people like me.

There's no excuse but you understand his anger? There was no need for that anger, under no circumstance should an experienced international player be doing that. You can blame Davidson for loads of things but Spoony fucked that game beyond repair, not Callum.

3 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

There's no excuse but you understand his anger? There was no need for that anger, under no circumstance should an experienced international player be doing that. You can blame Davidson for loads of things but Spoony fucked that game beyond repair, not Callum.

But Calum was the manager, with whom the buck ultimately stops. His indecision contributed to Spoony's state of mind. Calums indecision and poor decision making ultimately undetermined his whole career at Saints. We should have won that tie. We would have won that tie if Wright had still been in charge.

Managers make difficult decisions. Seeing Spoony go is heartbreaking, but, and it's a big but, I'm happy we have a manager who's willing to make those decisions. 

Thinking with the head rather than the heart, deep down, I think it was the right one...

Great player and an even better guy. You could not meet a nicer or more genuine person. I am glad to be able to call him a friend and the joy he's given to my disabled daughter over the years has been priceless.  

Will be sadly missed but he's given us one hell of a 10 year period. We will always have the memories.

Shite way it has happened but with Macca only being officially announced on Friday there was never going to be a perfect outcome to the releasing of players etc. 

Bold move from Macca, and I'm sure we will hear in time his thinking behind all the moves in due course. 

Time will tell if it's the right one or not..

Its the right decision if they also let Hallberg go, IMO.

Create a pathway, and give a genuine shot for two of Max/Ballantyne/Ferguson. If you talk about trusting youth then back it up. We cant keep offering over 30s with serious injury problems contracts, so Wotherspoon probably a victim of previous decisions like that more than anything.

I get the feeling MacLean thinks Hallberg can start with a youth at back up, instead of Wotherspoon as back up, but its a lot hes thrown away and its a lot of trust being put in Hallberg who, simply, doesnt contribute enough regularly to deserve it.

7 hours ago, stevensanph said:

But Calum was the manager, with whom the buck ultimately stops. His indecision contributed to Spoony's state of mind. Calums indecision and poor decision making ultimately undetermined his whole career at Saints. We should have won that tie. We would have won that tie if Wright had still been in charge.

Nope. 

What should have happened is we should've bought a proven goalscorer that preseason or even before. That's down to Brown as much as Callum. In game decisions of course affect the game but players coming on and without provocation assaulting the opposition isn't the managers fault, no matter how many times that player has warmed up. Too many willing to excuse Spoony for throwing the game away just because of who he is.

LASK were better than us in a few positions   that's what ultimately won the tie.

LASK get worse in peoples eyes the longer time goes on.

Some of their interplay was just stuff we couldnt match. 

I thought Davidson would see them and think that was a blueprint, as they played the same shape. Young energetic side full of energy, movement, and brains, particularly in midfield.

His next 3 midfield signings were Cammy MacPherson, Ali Crawford, and Jacob Butterfield.

50 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Its the right decision if they also let Hallberg go, IMO.

Create a pathway, and give a genuine shot for two of Max/Ballantyne/Ferguson. If you talk about trusting youth then back it up. We cant keep offering over 30s with serious injury problems contracts, so Wotherspoon probably a victim of previous decisions like that more than anything.

I get the feeling MacLean thinks Hallberg can start with a youth at back up, instead of Wotherspoon as back up, but its a lot hes thrown away and its a lot of trust being put in Hallberg who, simply, doesnt contribute enough regularly to deserve it.

I still think it’s a lot to put on Max/Ballantyne just now in the top flight so I’d still like one older head (not Carey) in that position, although Wotherspoon would’ve been the better option as you’d think there’s more chance he’d take a dwindling squad role. 

Ultimately a pretty shite situation to be in but it’s a decision I understand and I’m glad it’s not one I had to make. Wonder how the testimonial will work if he’s at another club? Different circumstances to Chris Millar. 

1 minute ago, PSJ.84 said:

I still think it’s a lot to put on Max/Ballantyne just now in the top flight so I’d still like one older head (not Carey) in that position, although Wotherspoon would’ve been the better option as you’d think there’s more chance he’d take a dwindling squad role. 

I think thats what MacLean will have in mind for Hallberg. You have Hallberg, MacPherson and McGowan as experienced ones. Max, Ballantyne and Phillips as younger ones pushing them for places and eager to get their chance.

Ferguson likely on loan but you surely give him pre-season first to see.

Id rather have had Wotherspoon than Hallberg tbh, and if not Wotherspoon then get rid of Hallberg too and try something new.

Big pressure on Max/Ballantyne to step up, and massive pressure on Hallberg/MacPherson to actually perform regularly, but thats life.

8 hours ago, stevensanph said:

Managers make difficult decisions. Seeing Spoony go is heartbreaking, but, and it's a big but, I'm happy we have a manager who's willing to make those decisions. 

Time will tell as to whether or not it was the right decision, but I thought this too. 

Shows just how low our standards have dropped that we’re happy at a manager making a difficult decision.