Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 hour ago, Widge said:

Right so until we confirm who's all leaving and being offered new contracts I've taken a stab at it below, based on first team players only -

Leaving (No new deal offered) - O'Halloran, Hallberg, Vertainan, Gilmour, Murphy, Davidson (retiring)

Leaving (would offer new deal) - Wotherspoon, Kane, Brown

Loans ended - Matthews, Mitchell, Montgomery, McLennan, Rudden

Would ideally return - Mitchell, Montgomery

Try and release - Crawford, Bair, Booth, Considine

Try and loan out - Ferguson, Wills, Gallacher

That's just my initial thoughts on things, no doubt I'll have missed someone or something. I swithered about the likes of Booth and McPherson, but realistically they're not going anywhere so no real point in speculating about them. As I say this is what I'd hope would happen, but I very much doubt I'll get even 50% of it right!

Fully behind this. 

But I'd definitely be taking the hit and binning MacPherson.

Just now, Honest Saints Fan said:

I'm gutted Spoony is away but is it also time to move on? Who knows. Just feel a bit sad and it's a shite way to announce it. 

The rest of the names aren't surprising. 

Shame MOH just fell apart. On his day he was unplayable. 

I think the fact he’s getting a testimonial means that he’ll get a proper send off and a goodbye from the fans that he deserves. Wonder where he’ll end up, I do think he may just head to one of the Dundee clubs though. 

As sad as it is, if it gives Max a platform into the team then it’s the right move. Spoony isn’t a sellable asset, Max definitely is on a year or two. 

6 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Pretty rank way to announce David Wotherspoon is leaving. Also barely a mention for O’Halloran. 

I presume it was done as a quick announcement to get it announced before the gossip spread it anyway. 

I imagine he was only told this morning as well?! Would have been nice for us and his family to be able to give him a send off in his last game on the pitch last time knowing it was coming to an end though. Unless of course he did know... 

Genuinely gutted.

Not in a "demand to see the deeds" way, but do think MacLean will need to explain the decision publicly.

If hes wanting a big wage on a 2yr deal then fair enough tbh, he probably doesnt justify that considering we're already committed to so many.

Young players need a pathway too which this creates, for Max in particular.

Hallberg not mentioned so maybe one or the other situation and manager picked Hallberg?

Players not mentioned are Kane, Brown, Hallberg and Parish?

Latter is obviously in a slightly different situation but interesting with Hallberg when assumption had been he'd go. For me, Hallberg staying blocks off pathway for Cammy Ballantyne. I wouldn't be too upset if he moves on.

James Brown would never have been near 30 appearances in a good Saints side, the sort of team we should be striving to be again. If he signs on again, he can't be playing that many games next season.

Obviously sad to see Wotherspoon go and Davidson and O'Halloran in different circumstances but with decisions made, eyes look forward. What brilliant memories the three of them have created for us though, some of the best.

How many heads explode if its explained Wotherspoon is a casualty of cost cutting due to having folk like Booth, Considine, Crawford, Carey contracted for another year, and spunking £100k+ on Mahon and Bair...

When you take the emotion out of the Spoony release you can see why its been done. With Cammy and Max coming through (and Ferguson behind them) there are only limited spaces for attacking midfield positions. The age of the squad needs to come down and we want to see young players coming through so whilst its a gutter it kind of makes sense. 

We’ll be putting a lot on Cammy and Max shoulders next year I imagine…