Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Don't expect anyone in but interested to see if anyone's heading out.

Only one would likely be Millar and it doesn't sound like there's any interest in him.

Another boring fucking deadline day awaits.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Only one would likely be Millar and it doesn't sound like there's any interest in him.

That's who I was thinking about. I see he played in the U20 game last night which may just be coincidence. I was actually wondering if Saints would just release him to make him a free agent as he hasn't got a club yet.

Wouldn't be too surprised if Craig Thomson ends up out on loan as well. He's never getting ahead of Wotherspoon, Scougall, O'Halloran and Alston who have all played on the right this season so far. He got a few minutes in one of the game, but it was replacing Scougall (I think), Wotherspoon and MOH were already on the pitch and Alston was injured.

That's who I was thinking about. I see he played in the U20 game last night which may just be coincidence. I was actually wondering if Saints would just release him to make him a free agent as he hasn't got a club yet.

I don't know how these things work but would we not need to pay him his wages he'd get by staying if we release him? Whereas if he's transferred it's just a case of him moving to a new club and we can cease paying him?

My hope is he doesn't move and Tommy is "stuck" with him so just gets him playing again, I firmly believe he's still our best option in that position assuming fit. That said, heed might be gone a bit after what he's gone through the last couple of weeks, I doubt he'll feel overly committed to the club now if he does stay.

And I'll conclude by saying I'm very surprised that we aren't hearing of plenty of teams considering taking him on. That's not to say there isn't however.

I'm rambling.

14 minutes ago, Super_J said:

I don't know how these things work but would we not need to pay him his wages he'd get by staying if we release him? Whereas if he's transferred it's just a case of him moving to a new club and we can cease paying him?

My hope is he doesn't move and Tommy is "stuck" with him so just gets him playing again, I firmly believe he's still our best option in that position assuming fit. That said, heed might be gone a bit after what he's gone through the last couple of weeks, I doubt he'll feel overly committed to the club now if he does stay.

And I'll conclude by saying I'm very surprised that we aren't hearing of plenty of teams considering taking him on. That's not to say there isn't however.

I'm rambling.

I'm not sure either but we've paid folk off early before. If no club want's to sign him by the deadline and there's say 10 months left on his contract we could give a player 5 months in his hand to bugger off saving us 5 months wages. Player gambles a bit but hopefully gets fixed up elsewhere within the 5 months meaning he could profit from it too. Think that's the theory anyway. I hope he stays too but looks like there's no chance so wouldn't be surprised at Saints cutting their loses so to speak.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Douglas Rae wanted to bring him back to Morton and was willing to pay higher wages for him than any other player at the club but Duffy wasn't keen which I'm surprised about given we could do with a defensive midfielder.

28 minutes ago, Scosha said:

Douglas Rae wanted to bring him back to Morton and was willing to pay higher wages for him than any other player at the club but Duffy wasn't keen which I'm surprised about given we could do with a defensive midfielder.

I can understand Duffy's skepticism, especially if that move eats into other signings as well. Millar has been a fantastic player for us and still is when he's on the pitch, but the number of times he's come off with niggles, or pulls up with a hamstring/groin complaint over the last couple of seasons is just crazy. Saints haven't come out of this affair particularly well, but I can understand why we want that guy, who I I imagine is still a high earner, off the books.

Edited by Kyle