Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/1539533/st-johnstone-murray-davidson-tommy-wright-hibs-ill-fit/

Tommy taking a pop at Davidson not being fit enough to compete the 90. Interesting quote there as well.. . "If you declare yourself fit you should be able to play for ninety minutes.

“The responsibility lies with the player.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/1539533/st-johnstone-murray-davidson-tommy-wright-hibs-ill-fit/

Tommy taking a pop at Davidson not being fit enough to compete the 90. Interesting quote there as well.. . "If you declare yourself fit you should be able to play for ninety minutes.

“The responsibility lies with the player.”

Some effort from Davidson coming off at half time and still setting up the goal though.

Probably mentioned already but st.j have linked up with local bus company for season ticket holders to get free busses to home games. Or something along them lines.

That's awesome

Good to hear. Club doing everything in their power to increase crowds, just hope they don't get disheartened, as so far the progress (and there is progress) isn't overly noticeable.

The number of young fans seems to well up on 5/10 years ago.

4 minutes ago, Costanza said:

So what's the verdict on Denny Johnstone? He looks a bit pish to me. Was actually glad to see Cummins replace him yesterday. Think that says it all really.........

Millar on the bench and Muzz not involved at all. Not sure what's happening there.

On 18/08/2017 at 12:10, RandomGuy. said:

Johnstone is a massive huddy who'll run about barging into folk and not actually contributing much. Probably be useful for a team in the bottom half.

The Chris Kane loan looks even more questionable having watched Deny play. So far, I think he doesn't add much more than Cummins, and both are target men.

Kane was limited, but he was a different option and far more mobile. He also could make an impact from the bench.  Before anyone goes on about revisionism here, I'm not saying Kane has been good enough so far to be a starting striker at this level, just that him and Cummins in the squad looked to offer a bit more variety than Cummins and Johnstone.

As well as MOH's form in the first 4 games, a major positive was Wotherspoon's form, where he was like a new signing as well. Sadly the last 2 games have seen him return to last season's form.  He looked so casual and careless in possession yesterday, keeping the ball far too long at times. He's a far better footballer than anyone in that Dundee midfield, but brought a fraction of the intensity that any of them did.

We really need to freshen things up a bit for next week.  I don't know how things stand regarding injuries, but I'd be tempted with

Mannus

Foster Anderson  Shaughnessy  Easton

Millar   Paton*

Alston      Scougall       O'Halloran

Cummins

(* or Craig)

Controversial leaving out Macca, but I think he's offered little (admittedly on limited service) the past couple of games, and if players think they can't be dropped then we might see even more half arsed performances like yesterday.

Also seems strange leaving defence unchanged after conceding 3 yesterday, but other than the goalkeeper, I don't see a lot of options for changes at the back.

In rational moments (i.e. when he isn't managing to miss from about two yards), I've always liked Cummins. He has poor games but in general has done fine for us. In saying that, in the summer, I wanted to see a striker brought in who would be above Cummins and Kane in the pecking order, someone that could compliment or even challenge MacLean. Cummins' biggest failing is he misses absolute sitters, he's scored 14 goals for us but is it an exaggeration to say he could have double that? So when it became apparent that we weren't going to get an upgrade on our second and third choice strikers, the priority surely had to be somebody different but already, Johnstone looks very/too similar to Cummins.

If we don't replace MacLean before he leaves then we are creating a big potential issue.

Wotherspoon won't be dropped, nor will MacLean.

The full backs are my biggest gripe, Foster doesn't hold onto the ball long enough, while Eastons the exact opposite. Comrie has to be banging on the door if Foster continues the way he has this season, Eastons just lucky we've no alternative to him.

MacLean (and Millar) should've had replacements lined up this time last year.

Last season wasn't a great one for Wotherspoon but I feel that was down to him not getting a pre-season at all. I was worried for Easton on the same basis this campaign and he's not found consistent form yet at all really. With Foster, I thought folk were on his case very early this season and it was premature but it's now becoming a little bit of a concern for me as well. In saying that, I'd stick with both.

Wotherspoon deserves to keep his place, we won't get anywhere by chopping and changing if players have a couple of quieter games. He's been very good up until the last few weeks.

Is Alston not out for another week or two anyway? If it's a choice between an out of sorts Wotherspoon or Thomson I'd be hoping we stay with Spoony, tbh.

Taking O'Hallaron out the equation, I'd suggest Wotherspoon has been our best performer this season. Similar to O'Hallaron, he was less effective on Saturday because he was asked to play a different role. Hopefully get him back more central next week.

As Radford says Cummins is a decent enough option - you just don't want to be relying on him for 10+ a season. He he certainly contributed more than Johnstone on Saturday. I'm not usually one for early judgement but it's really difficult to see what Johnstone is going to add.