Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

We're being linked to 2 Dundalk players in this morning's Sun (Robert Thomson as well which also adds to its credibility).

Robbie Benson -  25 year midfielder who has 9 goals this season - and David McMillan - 28 year striker who has scored 47 goals in 100 games. Seems we'll have United for competition for McMillan. Something a bit different though. Happy to give them both a shot at full time football.

Any idea if Benson is a central player or a wide player?

Attacking midfielder by all accounts and from what I can find. Likes to break into the box behind the striker. Would certainly allow us to play the only formation this season which has actually worked!

Always wary about signing guys from Ireland, either league to be honest. For every Liam Boyce out there, you end up with a Joe Gormley. The other issue you've got is, the striker is a qualified architect i think, either that or it's a nickname. The wage you need to offer is going to be significant to make them go full time you'd imagine.

Attacking midfielder by all accounts and from what I can find. Likes to break into the box behind the striker. Would certainly allow us to play the only formation this season which has actually worked!

Always wary about signing guys from Ireland, either league to be honest. For every Liam Boyce out there, you end up with a Joe Gormley. The other issue you've got is, the striker is a qualified architect i think, either that or it's a nickname. The wage you need to offer is going to be significant to make them go full time you'd imagine.

That's good, we've lacked a central goalscoring midfielder for a while, something I think every team requires tbh

10 minutes ago, Widge said:

Or enough to let him chase the dream for a few years with a solid career to fall back on.

Attacking midfielder who bursts into the box. Isn't that Scougall's preseason description?

It seems quite clear, for whatever reason, TW won't play him central.

3 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

At the start of the season it was understandable as Wotherspoon was outstanding centrally. However, since Spoony went off the boil, I'd have thought ScougZ centrally would be ideal. He played there second half v Accies and did well.  

Indeed. Might be worth trying MOH right (where I think he's most effective), Scougall in the centre and Spoony on the left. I think that would suit our team much better. MOH bombing up the right with support from Comrie sounds pretty decent to me. Spoony and Easton have played together on the left quite a bit in the past too. Certainly worth a try.

Edited by Kyle

17 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

At the start of the season it was understandable as Wotherspoon was outstanding centrally. However, since Spoony went off the boil, I'd have thought ScougZ centrally would be ideal. He played there second half v Accies and did well.  

It's his normal position I believe. Same as Alston. Actually same as Midge. Looks like Tommy has them serving their time out wide before moving  them centrally into their best position. 

This week's Manager's email:

Saturday was again a disappointing result but the performance was better than it has been in recent weeks.

We controlled most of the game but unfortunately weren’t able to make the most of that control by creating more chances or taking the chances that we did create.  We gave away a poor goal and Partick really got a lift from that and were able to hold onto that slender lead to get all three points.

We were unfortunate to lose two players to injury – Brian Easton looks like he could be out for a few weeks but Stefan should be okay for weekend.  In addition, Murray Davidson is a concern with an ankle injury.

There is no doubting the players’ effort and we did play some good football up to a point but ultimately we lost the game.  It’s important that the players remain positive because we can very quickly get our season back on track.

I will remind people that we’re still in the top six but clearly we are on a poor run of results.  This has happened in almost every season I’ve been here and it’s the nature of the league so we know how to deal with it and we are working hard to turn things around.

This is a time for everyone – staff, players and supporters - to stay together and the main focus is on to get St Johnstone back to winning ways.

Finally, well done to the U20s who beat Dundee United yesterday in the Scottish FA Youth Cup. It was a really good performance and they fully deserved to get through to the next round.

s.gif
Thank you for your support
s.gif
Tommy Wright
Manager St Johnstone FC
s.gif
3666050_keepbelieving.png