Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

5 minutes ago, Center half said:

James McArthur got credited for being dumped by Saints when he was younger, I do not know if he was actually ever on the Youth system though.

I think there is, or was, a point where you can move around clubs without actually being classed as one of their players. There seem to be a few cases of kids turning out for a few different sides without being classed as theirs. A very young Spoony played for us before joining Celtic youths and there's a picture of John Rankin playing for us in a tournament abroad but neither are classed as ex-Saints kids. I think McArthur fits in with this.

Tommy Wright and Steve Brown in Dublin this afternoon watching David McMillan and Robbie Benson playing for Dundalk in the FAI Cup final.

Do you think Brown would be there if we weren't discussing contracts with them?

As in, this is more likely to be us signing them than scouting them.

1 hour ago, 7-2 said:

To be honest, I don't actually care where a first team player comes from.  I kind of think that the romance of having a home grown team is as out of date as dreaming about only 3pm kick offs. It hasn't spolied the most successful spell in our history because, with one notable exception, the squad was a collection of brought in journeymen!

Agree to an extent.  The big hope with a home grown player for a club is you can sell him on and make money obviously. That's not necessarily that big a thing for supporters though..

Take Stevie May for example. One great season but as soon as he's going well, his agent whisks him away to the best deal he can get for himself at the earliest opportunity.  The club get £800,000 which is brilliant for the bank balance  and to go towards running costs, but as Saints fans what have we really got out of that deal?  We haven't seen a great deal of that money re-invested in replacements.

You could argue that experienced professionals such as Anderson, Millar, Maclean, Easton, Mackay, Davidson, Wright who have probably given us nearly 50 seasons between them have been far more important in terms of continuity and building a successful team.  As a supporter, I think that's where you build a connection to your team's players, guys who are with you for a few years, with a bit of loyalty, which seems to be less common these days.

6 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Agree to an extent.  The big hope with a home grown player for a club is you can sell him on and make money obviously. That's not necessarily that big a thing for supporters though..

Take Stevie May for example. One great season but as soon as he's going well, his agent whisks him away to the best deal he can get for himself at the earliest opportunity.  The club get £800,000 which is brilliant for the bank balance  and to go towards running costs, but as Saints fans what have we really got out of that deal?  We haven't seen a great deal of that money re-invested in replacements.

You could argue that experienced professionals such as Anderson, Millar, Maclean, Easton, Mackay, Davidson, Wright who have probably given us nearly 50 seasons between them have been far more important in terms of continuity and building a successful team.  As a supporter, I think that's where you build a connection to your team's players, guys who are with you for a few years, with a bit of loyalty, which seems to be less common these days.

Totally agree with you. Loyalty's another outdated concept though and I actually think it's understandably had it's day. Clubs put money first now so I don't blame the player for doing the same. 'Our' club is just another employer to most players after all.

21 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Do you think Brown would be there if we weren't discussing contracts with them?

As in, this is more likely to be us signing them than scouting them.

You'd think Steve wouldn't waste the cost of an airfare unless there's money being talked.

Geoff wanted a production factory to boost the first team and a big sale every couple of seasons. This didn't happen so he lost faith and cut back but it would still have been an expensive business. 
Macanespie was about the same time as Griffin but I'll give you him.  Parker you are spot on with but that's about it during the 00s. At least they made a name with Saints and decided to move onwards and upwards. I think the closest we've come to having ones that got away were Manny Panther and Jonny Lindsay, both apparently destined for big things, eyebrows raised when they were released, both picked up by Partick to compound that feeling but after a bright start faded out and headed south to lower and non league clubs. Panther at least made a career out of the game.
To be honest, I don't actually care where a first team player comes from.  I kind of think that the romance of having a home grown team is as out of date as dreaming about only 3pm kick offs. It hasn't spolied the most successful spell in our history because, with one notable exception, the squad was a collection of brought in journeymen!

Johnny Lindsay :lol: Nice guy but never a footballer in a million years.

A quick ferret around (yep, Wiki) sees that Deas was early to mid 90s, Whiteford 94 -00 but didn't play much and turned out more for Stirling than us but Cuthbert is spot on.  01 - 08, 110 appearances. An obvious name from this period is Andy Jackson. Damn shame he was never the same after the illness.

Stuart McCluskey was of course at the same time as Griffin and often partnered him.  I thought Stuart Malcolm played more than he did.  I'd forgotten all about Bobby Mann. Like Bingham earlier he had a decent career after getting the boot. Digging back can be infectious!

18 hours ago, 7-2 said:

You'd think Steve wouldn't waste the cost of an airfare unless there's money being talked.

Either that or he's spotted an opportunity for a piss up in Dublin using the club's expense account.

I suspect we're quite far down the line with one or both of them if the manager and chairman are over in Ireland watching them play. Hopefully something will be announced this week as I think we're all pretty scunnered with the shite on display just now.

19 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

In one sense supporters didn't see the May money, but it balanced the books, allowed an increased wage budget and so indirectly funded contracts for other the players you mentioned.

Saints have benefited from stability over the last few years, and it's why - along with a manager who values continuity - we've kept so many players for a long time. I don't think it's an emotional attachment; but we've simply been one of the few clubs in Scotland which has consistently been both financially stable and successful over the past 10 years.

Apparently the McMillan deal looks likely from Dundalk, meanwhile the other one has demanded too high a wage to be considered further.

Happy enough with that, as McMillan is actually a striker and you'd say we need that more. Wouldn't be overly shocked if Benson struggles to get what he wants/ends up available in the Summer as he's not made it, and we see him here at some point anyway

Happy enough with that, as McMillan is actually a striker and you'd say we need that more. Wouldn't be overly shocked if Benson struggles to get what he wants/ends up available in the Summer as he's not made it, and we see him here at some point anyway

He’s 25, I’d argue he’s already not made it if he’s still playing over there at that age.

He’s 25, I’d argue he’s already not made it if he’s still playing over there at that age.

Tbf was Mannus not about 30 before he moved from Irish football?

Tbf was Mannus not about 30 before he moved from Irish football?

Think Mannus is in season 6 with saints and he's 33 if I remember correctly so he was 27/28 when he joined saints. Respectfully though a goalkeeper is a totally different example given the nature of an outfield player by comparison.