Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

If Wright holds on a couple of weeks, he might get the Dundee job instead.

Seriously though, I'm surprised you lot aren't extremely concerned. Admittedly we look like a safety net at the moment for you, but there doesn't seem to be *much* disgruntlement over not winning in 6 and not even scoring in 6.

29 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Seriously though, I'm surprised you lot aren't extremely concerned. Admittedly we look like a safety net at the moment for you, but there doesn't seem to be *much* disgruntlement over not winning in 6 and not even scoring in 6.

Makes for a refreshing change.  A wee bit of variety away from the top 6 will do us the world of good.

It also gives our big rivals Partick Thistle something to get excited about

35 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Not maybe made it on here yet Ludo, but it is everything from sack the board to get TW to f**k on other media sites, it will filter through to here eventually,  but like our team at present we are a bit slow! 

I know Tommy said he doesn’t buy into the ‘good or bad time for an international break’. Personally I think this is a great time for it to come. Hopefully come Hibs away we’ve something very close to a full strength squad to choose from. We need to break this not scoring duck next game as up until the last 20 mins or so I thought we looked fairly resolute in defence. I still think we will be ok but we need goals and points this month because December’s run is tricky.

Our "Banter page" on FB has about thirty, twelve paragraph long, rants about how shite TW is and how he should be punted, and how shite Steve Brown is, and how he should be punted, and how shite the support is, and how it should be punted...

Leagues always been filled with teams of similar ability. This year there's clearly four far better than the rest. We can't keep up as their budget shits on ours and we need to rebuild in a few positions. This season is all about giving youngsters like Comrie a chance and seeing how they stack up, if that means we go three months without a win and finish tenth then so be it, as it needs done at some point

Our "Banter page" on FB has about thirty, twelve paragraph long, rants about how shite TW is and how he should be punted, and how shite Steve Brown is, and how he should be punted, and how shite the support is, and how it should be punted...

Leagues always been filled with teams of similar ability. This year there's clearly four far better than the rest. We can't keep up as their budget shits on ours and we need to rebuild in a few positions. This season is all about giving youngsters like Comrie a chance and seeing how they stack up, if that means we go three months without a win and finish tenth then so be it, as it needs done at some point

So which other youngsters have been given a chance? And not dropped immediately when the senior player is available? I would be much happier with this season if this was actually happening.

So which other youngsters have been given a chance? And not dropped immediately when the senior player is available? I would be much happier with this season if this was actually happening.

Comrie, Gilchrist, Gordon all played this season. It's a case of seeing if they can actually cope and then moving into whether they can compete and cement a place when given a chance. Integrating them into the squad is just as important as getting them on the pitch.

Comries come in due to Fosters unavailability, played well, and will keep his place. Gilchrist had a chance early in the season but failed to perform, so that allowed Ando back in. Gordon done well at Tynecastle, then got injured, which allowed Ando back in.

Suspect we'll see Kane back in January and he'll get a chance.

Comrie, Gilchrist, Gordon all played this season. It's a case of seeing if they can actually cope and then moving into whether they can compete and cement a place when given a chance. Integrating them into the squad is just as important as getting them on the pitch.

Comries come in due to Fosters unavailability, played well, and will keep his place. Gilchrist had a chance early in the season but failed to perform, so that allowed Ando back in. Gordon done well at Tynecastle, then got injured, which allowed Ando back in.

Suspect we'll see Kane back in January and he'll get a chance.

We are probably the slowest team in the league at integrating young players. Central defenders have been below par with Anderson poor but they keep their place whereas Gilchrist was dumped straight away. I’ve no doubt Gordon would have been too even without the injury.

Now I’m not saying they are going to be superstars or even that they’ll make it but with the form of the senior players the fringe players deserve a little more time to see if they can cut it. Comrie has proven that.

I think Comrie is an excellent young player and I think Gordon had the potential to be as well, but who else are people genuinely wanting to see play from the youth side of things? Recently I'd say the likes of Clark and Shaughnessey have come through as youngsters into the first team. The likes of Kane and Thompson aren't good enough and have had plenty of chances to prove that.

We are probably the slowest team in the league at integrating young players.

I don't think that's true at all. We took Shaughnessy, who was rotting at Aberdeen, and he's played virtually every game since. Comries come from nowhere and is now first choice. Even those who aren't good enough, like Thomson, have been given runs to try and settle in.

It's a common myth that was true about five years ago and has been thrown about every time we've had a bad run since.

I don't think that's true at all. We took Shaughnessy, who was rotting at Aberdeen, and he's played virtually every game since. Comries come from nowhere and is now first choice. Even those who aren't good enough, like Thomson, have been given runs to try and settle in.

It's a common myth that was true about five years ago and has been thrown about every time we've had a bad run since.

I realise that this year’s under 20s look to have a bit more about them but going on what you’ve just said the youth coaches are lucky to be in a job. Shaughnessy is 25 so was hardly a youngster when we signed him. So really Comrie, and May are the recent successes of our youth system?

I realise that this year’s under 20s look to have a bit more about them but going on what you’ve just said the youth coaches are lucky to be in a job. Shaughnessy is 25 so was hardly a youngster when we signed him. So really Comrie, and May are the recent successes of our youth system?

Depending what your defining as a "success" I'd add Clark and Kane to that. We developed O'Hallaron too.

Hendry seems to be the main one the frothing-mouth lunatics are screaming for with a few still clinging to Thomson.

Shaughnessy was signed from Aberdeen and has sod all to do with our youth system. That has been a waste of money for years and must have cost us millions. You've to go from Callum Davidson to Stevie May between genuine successes and even then both were almost punted before they got their chance.  Proof of how poor it's been is not only the lack of players getting into Saints team but also the lack of 'ones that got away' and made it at a level similar to or above Saints is decidedly short if not completely blank. I'd have happily seen it shut down and the money better used on the first team.

Depending what your defining as a "success" I'd add Clark and Kane to that. We developed O'Hallaron too.

Hendry seems to be the main one the frothing-mouth lunatics are screaming for with a few still clinging to Thomson.

Clark I acknowledge and O’Hallaron although it could be argued he developed in the first team squad rather than through the Under 20s.

I’m not screaming for anyone to jump into the first eleven. I just don’t get some underperforming players staying in the team week in week out. Guess I’m grasping for any solution.

Clark I acknowledge and O’Hallaron although it could be argued he developed in the first team squad rather than through the Under 20s.

I’m not screaming for anyone to jump into the first eleven. I just don’t get some underperforming players staying in the team week in week out. Guess I’m grasping for any solution.

I wasn't having a dig at you. Think your last sentence sums up the issue up front at the moment. There was a guy behind me screaming at Wright to get MacLean off against County only to give a big FFS when Cummins was coming on. There is just no options on the horizon to solve our biggest issue until January. Only hope is that Wotherspoon, Scougall and O'Hallaron click and chip in between now and then.

That all said think Gordon deserves to, and probably will, start the next game in Anderson's place.