Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

13 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Disagree with this. Up until about his injury in February he was decent. However, since then he’s been done. He’s not the only one who’s been shite though. 

We've got a lad wearing the armband beside him who looks like he's the one that's in his mind 30's playing alongside him. 

I can't see us getting a Considine & Gordon replacement, Gordon for me is the bigger worry. That first goal yesterday sums him up. 

He ended up on the deck yesterday and got up in a hurry to get back in position which is good but for some reason he just pays zero attention to the completely unmarked individual who scores. He's standing next to James Brown 🤷‍♂️ I honestly cant make sense of what he must have been thinking.

Then there's in possession. Considine usually just takes a touch and moves it to Gordon or Gallagher. Gordon for some reason tries too hard to be done kind of ball playing central defender which he's evidently incapable of but keeps trying.

I'm just ranting now 😂 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

12 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Disagree with this. Up until about his injury in February he was decent. However, since then he’s been done. He’s not the only one who’s been shite though. 

He looked absolutely done on his debut, and plenty of matches thereafter. He did occasionally put in the odd decent performance, but the fact the deal was a disaster was evident within about 10 mins of match time.

11 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

We've got a lad wearing the armband beside him who looks like he's the one that's in his mind 30's playing alongside him. 

I can't see us getting a Considine & Gordon replacement, Gordon for me is the bigger worry. That first goal yesterday sums him up. 

He ended up on the deck yesterday and got up in a hurry to get back in position which is good but for some reason he just pays zero attention to the completely unmarked individual who scores. He's standing next to James Brown 🤷‍♂️ I honestly cant make sense of what he must have been thinking.

Then there's in possession. Considine usually just takes a touch and moves it to Gordon or Gallagher. Gordon for some reason tries too hard to be done kind of ball playing central defender which he's evidently incapable of but keeps trying.

I'm just ranting now 😂 

Trial by stills.

Parker in no man's land a bit as well. Presume he's about defending the front post area.

Gordon's just has go with the run as there's no one else in the box to worry about and he just doesn't. He just day dreams... I just don't get what he's waiting for?

We've lost so many simple goals like this in the last 18 months. 

Screenshot_2023-07-30-14-21-24-84_f9ee0578fe1cc94de7482bd41accb329.jpg

Screenshot_2023-07-30-14-21-57-95_f9ee0578fe1cc94de7482bd41accb329.jpg

Screenshot_2023-07-30-14-22-18-13_f9ee0578fe1cc94de7482bd41accb329.jpg

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

1 hour ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Trial by stills.

Parker in no man's land a bit as well. Presume he's about defending the front post area.

Gordon's just has go with the run as there's no one else in the box to worry about and he just doesn't. He just day dreams... I just don't get what he's waiting for?

We've lost so many simple goals like this in the last 18 months. 

Screenshot_2023-07-30-14-21-24-84_f9ee0578fe1cc94de7482bd41accb329.jpg

Screenshot_2023-07-30-14-21-57-95_f9ee0578fe1cc94de7482bd41accb329.jpg

Screenshot_2023-07-30-14-22-18-13_f9ee0578fe1cc94de7482bd41accb329.jpg

Hes just riddled with indecision. Its most obvious when hes on the ball as he just panics as soon as he receives it, but this another good example. Hes probably still trying to work out if he should follow the runner or call to Parker to drop in when the goals scored.

Low confidence kills decision making which leads to mistakes.

A lot of our squad seem in the same position which is why so much of our play is "safe" stuff. Its why Carey is so important too as hes ballsy enough to get things wrong more than right because he knows it just takes it going right once to get a goal.

I honestly wouldnt be surprised if McClelland replaces Gordon instead of Considine.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Thought yesterday it was a bit harsh substituting Parker at half time - he was not the worst centre back on display in yesterday's match.

I would persevere with him and drop Captain Gordon and replace Considine with McLelland.  This parnership cannot be any worse than the one they are replacing.

It also give us the weapon of the long throw into the box and with VAR the potential to get penalties.

43 minutes ago, Templar Saint said:

Thought yesterday it was a bit harsh substituting Parker at half time - he was not the worst centre back on display in yesterday's match.

I would persevere with him and drop Captain Gordon and replace Considine with McLelland.  This parnership cannot be any worse than the one they are replacing.

It also give us the weapon of the long throw into the box and with VAR the potential to get penalties.

I was quite impressed with Parker’s long throw, he got the ball into the box at least once. Thought it may give us an option to do something with a set piece for once. 

5 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

Hope Callum Davidson enjoyed his golf at Blairgowrie yesterday. The fruits of his reign laid bare for all to see - 4 fucking nil to Stirling Albion.  Due to context Kelty will always be worse, but in terms of a singular game, the worst result in my lifetime. MacLean might not be the right man, but I sure as hell don’t envy the job he’s got on his hands. 

Sorry, but it's utter pish to continue to blame Davidson everytime we lose a game. Aye, he signed a load of has beens on big wages, but bar maybe 2-3 players, how many are still stinking out the place? Clubs have as big turnovers each season and manage it far far better than we have. Each of 3 LC games we have lost, the saints 11 are better on paper. Fault here for these games lies with MacLean. General situation, Aye, Davidson has a big part to play, but c'mon, he left months ago and we have had plenty of time to recruit more than we have. 

31 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

he left months ago and we have had plenty of time to recruit more than we have. 

MacLean can only sign 3 or 4 outfield players, that came from Stan Harris at the open meeting. A squad 25 the limit and even after the 17 players leaving it left us on 21.

The wages we can offer new signings are now low as we've still got multiple high earners on the books due to a record breaking loss close to £2m.

MacLean says we've lost out on multiple targets because we cant compete financially for new signings.

Deas, Shaughnessy and Kennedy are all ones he'd have happily signed last month but we couldnt afford them.

It genuinely baffles me the amount of folk who think any manager on the planet wants to be 1 week from the league starting with a squadful of kids, hes the first manager since Coyle to inherit a shit Saints team, but hes got no money or breathing room to make wholesale changes. The idea its easy to just go out and sign 3/4 cheap players who instantly improve the squad while being less attractive financially and competitively than most of the division we're in, who will be looking at the same targets, is wrong.

Edited by RandomGuy.

40 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

MacLean can only sign 3 or 4 outfield players, that came from Stan Harris at the open meeting. A squad 25 the limit and even after the 17 players leaving it left us on 21.

The wages we can offer new signings are now low as we've still got multiple high earners on the books due to a record breaking loss close to £2m.

MacLean says we've lost out on multiple targets because we cant compete financially for new signings.

Deas, Shaughnessy and Kennedy are all ones he'd have happily signed last month but we couldnt afford them.

It genuinely baffles me the amount of folk who think any manager on the planet wants to be 1 week from the league starting with a squadful of kids, hes the first manager since Coyle to inherit a shit Saints team, but hes got no money or breathing room to make wholesale changes. The idea its easy to just go out and sign 3/4 cheap players who instantly improve the squad while being less attractive financially and competitively than most of the division we're in, who will be looking at the same targets, is wrong.

All throughout the last 10-15 years we will have lost out on loads of players who picked up more money elsewhere. Not saying we didn't overspend or sign poorly under Davidson, we deffinately did. But regardless of where the squad is, the starting 11 in each game should have been more than capable to beat each side we lost to. That cannot be Davidsons fault surely? Aye, upsets will happen and we lose a game to lower league sides, but 3 in a 4 game group is not acceptable and not down to the smaller squad size.

Not disagreeing that the squad was a mess that needed sorting, but, it was still a squad capable of finishing 9th in the top flight.

Davidson should have been gone lomg before he was to avoid exactly the situation we are in and yes, he is massively at fault for sub standard players still being here, but in all seriousness we cannot blame things like yesterday's defeat on him. 

3 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

All throughout the last 10-15 years we will have lost out on loads of players who picked up more money elsewhere. Not saying we didn't overspend or sign poorly under Davidson, we deffinately did. But regardless of where the squad is, the starting 11 in each game should have been more than capable to beat each side we lost to. That cannot be Davidsons fault surely? Aye, upsets will happen and we lose a game to lower league sides, but 3 in a 4 game group is not acceptable and not down to the smaller squad size.

Not disagreeing that the squad was a mess that needed sorting, but, it was still a squad capable of finishing 9th in the top flight.

Davidson should have been gone lomg before he was to avoid exactly the situation we are in and yes, he is massively at fault for sub standard players still being here, but in all seriousness we cannot blame things like yesterday's defeat on him. 

We played 5 players who've never played regularly above League One yesterday, and the only players who missed out with more experience than that were a goalkeeper, and 2 players who came on at half time and helped match the first half result. Its been similar the whole group, Drey Wright has played RB more than RW, while the CM area is just kids + 1 senior every time. This is when he needed Max, Ballantyne, or Ferguson to step up but none have.

Is a midfield of Phillips, Ballantyne, Ferguson and Kucheriavyi one you'd expect in a League One winning side? Hard to say yes considering the level 3 of them are proven at, yet the only alternative yesterday was adding Ryan McGowan in there. 

MacLean isnt blameless for yesterday, but his hands are tied so far behind his back its hard to point the finger at him. Hes trying to make the 3/4 signings he can make ones who help us in the short term and long term, while competing for these signings against clubs with better squads, more money, managers with more pedigree + most of these clubs have also been speaking to players since at least January trying to get them to sign. This + having to cut as many players as he has done has led to a weak, thin, imbalanced squad that cant deal with any team with experience and confidence.