Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

49 minutes ago, Center half said:

He is a old Jakey from the Clep bar! I've spoke with the blubbering mess in the Clep!

he will no doubt pretend its not him on here tae!

Ta Min        

In english please.

Having been at the game at the weekend, I genuinely have no idea what we are going to do against Hearts selection-wise.

Let's start with the obvious ones:

Changes

Mitov for Sinclair

Drey for Max

Parker for Considine

Flat four in the midfield instead of that nonsense diamond

People that should be dropped that wont:

Gordon

May

14 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

MacLean can only sign 3 or 4 outfield players, that came from Stan Harris at the open meeting. A squad 25 the limit and even after the 17 players leaving it left us on 21.

The wages we can offer new signings are now low as we've still got multiple high earners on the books due to a record breaking loss close to £2m.

MacLean says we've lost out on multiple targets because we cant compete financially for new signings.

Deas, Shaughnessy and Kennedy are all ones he'd have happily signed last month but we couldnt afford them.

It genuinely baffles me the amount of folk who think any manager on the planet wants to be 1 week from the league starting with a squadful of kids, hes the first manager since Coyle to inherit a shit Saints team, but hes got no money or breathing room to make wholesale changes. The idea its easy to just go out and sign 3/4 cheap players who instantly improve the squad while being less attractive financially and competitively than most of the division we're in, who will be looking at the same targets, is wrong.

All this makes it abundantly clear that MacLean isn't to blame for the state of the squad on paper due to the mess Davidson left with 30+ shite on lengthy deals (notwithstanding that MacLean was his assistant) and in the event of relegation due to that squad you could argue he wouldn't be primarily to blame for that either, with it really being Davidson's legacy tying his hands behind his back.

There's surely a middle ground though between 'this squad is wholly inadequate for the Premiership which isn't MacLean's fault' and 'this squad is incapable of doing better than a 4-0 defeat at home to a newly promoted League One side who didn't even start their best player, who is Dale Carrick'. One of those things MacLean gets a pass on, the other is surely a terrible reflection on him. I get that plenty of teams have terrible League Cup group stages and it ends up having no bearing on the season ahead, but that has to set alarm bells ringing massively about his own ability as a manager rather than just the state of the squad he's inherited.

I fully see the logic in needing an end to short-termism after Davidson's recruitment and that's why MacLean was given more than a one year deal, but this situation also makes three years for a completely unproven manager even riskier. The whole thing is giving me huge four years for Richie Foran vibes, and the off-field mismanagement and disinterest on top of it could well set St Johnstone up for several years like Inverness have had.

I would pack the midfield as much as possible.

Mitov

Brown    Gordon  Considine  Gallacher

McGowan

Ballantyne  Phillips

Wright                                                    Carey (or Max if not fit)

Jephcott

Formatting a complete mess there but our biggest weaknesses are at CB and CM — so McGowan needs to play in defensive midfield so he can try and protect both as much as possible. 

Wright and Carey are our most (only?) creative players — they need to play in their best positions on the right and left wings if we are to have any chance of creating chances. 

Sadly for both of these things to happen we rely on Brown being fit to play right back. If he doesn't make it our chances of getting something here drop to somewhere near zero. 

A fit Chris Kane would be a massive asset here but since that doesn't seem to be something that will happen, might as well go with Jephcott up top on his own. Means we can bring an actual senior striker in May on from the bench on the 60 min mark. 

I'm a bit concerned Maclean will go 4-4-2 here. With the current state of our midfield/defense Hearts would just breeze right through us — absolutely screams 'decent start ... concede on the break ... respond well and push for an equaliser ... concede again on the break ... then fall apart and concede anywhere between 1/2/3 more.'

Edited by Zamora Fan

20 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

All this makes it abundantly clear that MacLean isn't to blame for the state of the squad on paper due to the mess Davidson left with 30+ shite on lengthy deals (notwithstanding that MacLean was his assistant) and in the event of relegation due to that squad you could argue he wouldn't be primarily to blame for that either, with it really being Davidson's legacy tying his hands behind his back.

There's surely a middle ground though between 'this squad is wholly inadequate for the Premiership which isn't MacLean's fault' and 'this squad is incapable of doing better than a 4-0 defeat at home to a newly promoted League One side who didn't even start their best player, who is Dale Carrick'. One of those things MacLean gets a pass on, the other is surely a terrible reflection on him. I get that plenty of teams have terrible League Cup group stages and it ends up having no bearing on the season ahead, but that has to set alarm bells ringing massively about his own ability as a manager rather than just the state of the squad he's inherited.

I fully see the logic in needing an end to short-termism after Davidson's recruitment and that's why MacLean was given more than a one year deal, but this situation also makes three years for a completely unproven manager even riskier. The whole thing is giving me huge four years for Richie Foran vibes, and the off-field mismanagement and disinterest on top of it could well set St Johnstone up for several years like Inverness have had.

Yeah watching the highlights it was obvious from the beginning the lack of sharpness in the team. Ball from the kick off bobbles slowly back to a midfielder who just hoofs it up to no one in particular. The defensive issues there's a lot of individual mistakes but no organisation in evidence either. Obviously a lot comes back to the quality of players which goes back to Davidson et al but there looks like a lot of issues with what McLean's been up to 

26 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Good post. The state of the squad isn't Maclean's fault and for now I'm happy enough with his approach to recruitment given the circumstances. But at the same time I'm concerned by the way his team have reacted to adversity at such an early stage of his management. The heads going down after conceding a goal is really concerning when you'd hope there was still a new manager bounce around the place. 

Also something that's playing on my mind at the minute: Some of the senior players — and one of the more promising youngsters in particular — don't seem overly bothered about impressing the new boss do they? Some of the players who struggled under the old regime have had a new lease of life in terms of effort levels and output since Maclean came in, e.g Carey in a more natural position, Gallacher. But I'm concerned about the continuity of shiteness from some of the other senior players we will need to rely on. Not just talking about the captain either. 

Edited by Zamora Fan