Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Yesterday was a good day but I’m absolutely baffled by those saying MacPherson played well. Maybe I am blinded by the fact his very presence sets me off in a rage but the fact Motherwell seemed to continually pass the ball through our midfield yesterday is no coincidence. He’s not good enough and has a questionable attitude. That the current manager wants to keep him says plenty about him as well. 

6 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

It just feels like a Joe Biden* situation to me. The hard work is done by others while the senile auld codger waffles to the press.

* I'm not accusing Craig of being a sleazy old hair sniffing creep. Unlike that Clyde fan with Saintsam, he was a creep. Does Craig support Clyde?

Raith. 

Championship might be his level now but he certainly improved us. Cheers. 

I'm a big fan of Kane so he goes with best wishes. Maybe wonder what could have been but for that rogue injury. His transformation from hopeless finisher > hold-up play icon (who can't finish) was very enjoyable to witness. He was incredible in the cup run and in the brief resultant euro games.

Everything CL has said over recent weeks suggest Macpherson is staying.

I think that fan animosity ought to factor in to the Club's decisions, although maybe CL hasn't been here long enough to pick up on it all?

It's probably right that many Saints fans over-hate Macpherson, and that he's probably better than he's been able to show in his long and pointless Saints career. Doesn't change the fact that pretty much everyone wants rid of him though, and so, rightly or wrongly, the club would be best placed getting rid.

Yeah best wishes to Kane, right time for him to go though.

For me both Levein and Kirk should be thanked for doing the job they were employed to do then shown the door. Some of their decisions during games were bordering on madness. Yesterday we were comfortably coping with Motherwell and they bring on Considine, take off Clark, get us defending deeper and invite Motherwell on to us. Sidibe , then Kimpioka, were both isolated up front and Carey and Wright are asked to do 50 yard sprints to try and support. 

We absolutely need a reset , especially in the middle of the park. Jason Holt is a nightly wee shite but can play and is the type of player we should target. I still think we need a big, dirty b*****d in there with him though. Wright and Carey as wide players wouldn’t be the worst position to end up with either. MacPherson, Phillips, Smith(both of them) and Max can either leave or be squad players

Defensively I think we need 4 or 5 additions. Gordon appears to be on his way and Considine should go too. Kjeltens at right back is ok and MCGowan is worth another year. That leaves McLelland and Olofumwa who are probably only back up standard. A new left sided centre half and left back are essential. 

Only part of the team that doesn’t need major reconstruction is up front. Adama and Benji will be fine and add in Nicky Clark (if he’s played up top) . Taylor Steven as an attacking wide player will be good to see too.

This is a massive rebuild and I certainly don’t trust Levein or Kirk to do it

Kane was a huge part of the double season and was unbelievably effective in " the system". 

Best of luck with his move but it's probably the best thing all round.

51 minutes ago, FrankChickens1 said:

Everything CL has said over recent weeks suggest Macpherson is staying.

I think that fan animosity ought to factor in to the Club's decisions, although maybe CL hasn't been here long enough to pick up on it all?

It's probably right that many Saints fans over-hate Macpherson, and that he's probably better than he's been able to show in his long and pointless Saints career. Doesn't change the fact that pretty much everyone wants rid of him though, and so, rightly or wrongly, the club would be best placed getting rid.

But Saints fans have always got to have an ultimate hate figure - and with (presumably) Crawford away, we might as well keep MacPherson for that role.

8 minutes ago, Dooj said:

But Saints fans have always got to have an ultimate hate figure - and with (presumably) Crawford away, we might as well keep MacPherson for that role.

Matt Smith is already contracted M8.

1 minute ago, tree house tam said:

Matt Smith is already contracted M8.

Matt the passenger Smith is his full name! 

Kane is a good player who gives you a shift but he's never scoring 5 goals in 8 games at this level.

We probably need a different type to Clark, Sidibeh and Kimpioka and unfortunately Kane isn't that.

Thanks for the memories, a place in the history of the club secured but good luck with Dunfermline.

1 hour ago, Radford said:

Kane is a good player who gives you a shift but he's never scoring 5 goals in 8 games at this level.

We probably need a different type to Clark, Sidibeh and Kimpioka and unfortunately Kane isn't that.

Thanks for the memories, a place in the history of the club secured but good luck with Dunfermline.

Kane will always be forgotten as the guy who actually put the ball in the net against Rangers in the cup from Zander's knock down.

Scored some other important goals though - I particularly remember the goal against Aberdeen which sealed 4th place and Europe - but never prolific enough. Really wish him well.

9 minutes ago, Dooj said:

Kane will always be forgotten as the guy who actually put the ball in the net against Rangers in the cup from Zander's knock down.

Scored some other important goals though - I particularly remember the goal against Aberdeen which sealed 4th place and Europe - but never prolific enough. Really wish him well.

Kane has been pretty cooked for a while but he, rightfully in my view, was given a lot of time to try and get his mojo back and it just never really worked out because the system he flourished in during the double season stopped working- which is a shame. 

Matt Smith going from forward thinking playmaker to passenger is more mystifying though. I still think he could come good though.

Being brutally honest I'd take Cammy over Max, and I hope we keep Gowzer for one more year because his play style means even without much pace he still has something to offer the team.

Considine? Thank you for your service, you made a baffling number of errors for your age, but you did put in a decent shift now and again. Best of luck getting the coaching badges for your inevitable attempt at getting the Aberdeen job.

Keltjens I don't want to keep and I'd be surprised if he stayed in Scotland anyway.

Crawford will go down in ignominy as a player who existed, scored 2 very important goals against Ross County, then fell off the face of the Earth, and was just not very good for the money we were likely paying him.

I would argue now up front is a strength of ours and we have a very good core. Midfield and defense is what needs a serious rebuild. Mitov will likely be off for big bucks so we'll have cash to play with and hopefully Sinclair can at least be a serviceable stop-gap.

Keltjens has got another year as well. He seems like an Alan Maybury/Tam Scobbie type who is a perfectly serviceable player at the back. Think we need to remember he's played most of his career in midfield so he might be even better in there if given the opportunity. I hope he does stay as there's not many who are competent as he's shown he is in a few different positions. 

It's probably been said already but yet again, Mitov. 

When it really mattered yet again saving the penalty!!

I notice he's on everyone's list as being here next season when discussing the team. I wouldn't be so sure he will be, unfortunately. 

If it's a decent fee though they could reinvest that into the squad. 

Posted (edited)

Mitov has been outstanding and would definitely deserve a move. Now that the shitebag sparky is away we might actually get decent money as well.

Edited by The Saintee

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, steviemay17 said:

What would we actually get for Mitov this summer? Have the fear we're set for another round of Peterborough offering £200k over 4 years with 10% sell on type bids

Could potentially have European sides showing an interest.

Depends what kind of move he'd be open to but as an random example I imagine some of the bigger Czech sides wouldn't think twice about spending 500k+. 

I can't see it being silly money we'd get though.

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe