Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

3 minutes ago, DavidReid01 said:

Have to laugh, young player with a very good strike rate in the lowland league and came through both Hearts and the Rangers academy.

Fans are in meltdown because it’s the Assistant Managers son. Jeezo.

Welcome Makenzie - sounds like a promising enough project signing.

We have 5 strikers already, have just been told we have to get some out before more can come in and have 1 player who might call themselves a full back in the whole squad. 

Prolific striker 4 divisions below, it's good he knows where the net is but it's hardly what we need right now. 

If the signing of Kirk, stops us from getting a starting centre midfielder or a starting winger then fair enough.

I can’t see it being the case though. Would suspect it’s a nominal fee, and to be honest a low wage.

Although I was happy with the Ikpeazu signing, my first thought was ‘’This is the last position we need to strengthen or prioritise at this point.’’

No strikers have left the club since then, and this most recent signing comes shortly after our manager has said that we’re getting to the point where players will need to leave before we can bring others in.

Obviously a fair amount of Saints fans would be dissatisfied with another striker right now, particularly one who flopped in League One last season. 

Edited by The Real Saints

5th choice striker replacement for May potentially?

Probably on 1/8 of the wage May is on. Could be useful longer term in freeing up wage budget for elsewhere in the team. Young project striker. Hearts fans also pretty disappointed he’s been let go.

He turns 21 this season, has never played above League One, and couldn't get into Hamiltons side last season.

I can half understand the signing but paying a fee for him when the squads the state it's and you're moaning you can't improve it without getting players out just seems mental.

Is he really going to be such an improvement on Mylchreest (9 goals in Lowland League at 17yo) that it's worth spending money on?

This whole Summer is starting to stink of Levein trying to show how clever he is with how he can spot a "hidden gem" and turn them into a top flight player.

My tuppence worth - from having watched a few B Team games Kirk played - is his first thought is always to shoot. Thus he will hit a 30 yarder even if a pass is on. He'll also miss plenty chances along with scoring several.

I'd have said a move to a Championship or League 1 side would have been more likely BUT with his links at McDiarmid Park I can see why he went there. It'll be a "nominal fee" (possibly with a "sell-on" clause 😀). I wish him well though as he was not boring to watch!

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

This whole Summer is starting to stink of Levein trying to show how clever he is with how he can spot a "hidden gem" and turn them into a top flight player.

I mean .. he’s been pretty good at that? 

1 minute ago, DavidReid01 said:

5th choice striker replacement for May potentially?

Probably on 1/8 of the wage May is on. Could be useful longer term in freeing up wage budget for elsewhere in the team. Young project striker. Hearts fans also pretty disappointed he’s been let go.

He's a monumental downgrade on May though.

Saving money is fine but only if the drop in quality makes it worthwhile. There's zero point in us slashing the wage bill to save on losses only to finish on 18pts and lose £2m+ in income by being relegated.

Just now, Zamora Fan said:

I mean .. he’s been pretty good at that? 

He's been okay aye but he done this at Hearts where he created virtually an entire squad of them and totally fucked it.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He's a monumental downgrade on May though.

Saving money is fine but only if the drop in quality makes it worthwhile. There's zero point in us slashing the wage bill to save on losses only to finish on 18pts and lose £2m+ in income by being relegated.

He is a downgrade I’d agree, but do we really need a 5th choice striker of May’s stature when the rest of the squad is in need of first team quality (if that’s the thinking behind the deal).

10 minutes ago, DavidReid01 said:

He is a downgrade I’d agree, but do we really need a 5th choice striker of May’s stature when the rest of the squad is in need of first team quality (if that’s the thinking behind the deal).

When Clark is a crock, Sidibeh seems to struggle with fitness, and that leaves you with Kimpioka and Ikpeazu (whos out for at least another month), I'd rather May as 5th choice than Kirk, aye.

It is what it is now though, whatevers been decided is done and we'll just have to hope it works out. My optimism is rapidly draining though and I feel like the whole mood of the support shifts that way if tomorrow is a dredge and uninspiring, which I think it will be simply because Morton are a good side and we're a brand new inexperienced side.

By all accounts, May has been looking quite promising as a slightly deeper option and I was thinking that could prove a valuable asset for us this season. Excluding Ikpeazu, our other strikers are all fairly similar in the sense that they enjoy playing off the shoulder.

Don’t particularly want to lose any of them, but I’d prefer it to be Nicky Clark if I had to choose one.

26 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

I honestly don't know how some folk can cope with being so raging all the time. 

Just think of the blood pressure 😬

My head pops off my shoulders when Levein tells us that two League One duds are in our first team while Taylor Steven "needs to develop more" on loan.

Is this Levein attempting to bamboozle agents, media, players and fans with what he has said re squad size and what he is actually doing with signings.

Willing to put some level of faith in what Levein is doing but if players such as May etc leave as a result of Kirk coming in, then I will be concerned as to the strategy towards improving performance and league position on last season.

Is Levein juggling the numbers for ins and outs by immediately loaning out Kirk and Cocks and then bring in two starting players.

Maybe Levein thinks the new owners struggle with maths.