Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

19 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Any signs of works starting at the stadium, re car park, lifts etc? Sure there was talk that a new scoreboard might be in place before 2nd league home game, which would be a week on Saturday.

Surely no chance the touch the car park until the season is over?

2 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Admittedly not bothered about the screen either. Would be nice but I imagine the cost is going to be well above 100k? 🤷‍♂️

Well worth it if it has the "GOAL!" animation again.

21 minutes ago, The Marly said:

Don't see why not. Resurfacing it in a couple of weeks should be easily doable tbh.

Assumed this too. You can do it in phases too. I flagged it as he said that was the first thing he'd be doing. On the scoreboard, I doubt it would be as much as £100k, but you'd be able to have additional advertising in it etc, so starts to pay itself back a bit. 

I’m sure he said at the forum it’s areas of improvement identified and we’re collecting costs. 

Scoreboard is a priority for them, I think they wanted it in for next weeks match. However if unhappy with costs they wanted a second opinion on it. 

Moving to Preston was one of the worst decisions Ali McCann made, from a footballing perspective. Extending his contract there until 2027 earlier this year was the worst.

A total waste of a career.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Moving to Preston was one of the worst decisions Ali McCann made, from a footballing perspective. Extending his contract there until 2027 earlier this year was the worst.

Couldn't give a flying f**k, he forced the move through if you believe Clum.

49 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Would be a laugh to go back on this forum and see the opinions of McCann, Ferguson and Campbell a few years ago. There was a lot of tribalism at play, but I didn't see Ferguson as the only one who would really kick on.

11 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Would be a laugh to go back on this forum and see the opinions of McCann, Ferguson and Campbell a few years ago. There was a lot of tribalism at play, but I didn't see Ferguson as the only one who would really kick on.

I think this is it, they were all very good young players in Scotland at about the same time, all of whom were slightly different in their own way. It just goes to highlight how important the next move on your career is, 2 have gone down south and been swallowed up in the rigmarole that is the Championship and have never been allowed to develop. The other has gone abroad and flourished with the right coaching and experience and all credit to him for that. It’s what makes the like of Lennon Millar and David Watson think very, very carefully when they inevitably get offers, as the wrong path and team and you’re career will stagnate. Not that the guys will be doing badly for themselves admittedly, but could be so much more. 

20 minutes ago, Widge said:

I think this is it, they were all very good young players in Scotland at about the same time, all of whom were slightly different in their own way. It just goes to highlight how important the next move on your career is, 2 have gone down south and been swallowed up in the rigmarole that is the Championship and have never been allowed to develop. The other has gone abroad and flourished with the right coaching and experience and all credit to him for that. It’s what makes the like of Lennon Millar and David Watson think very, very carefully when they inevitably get offers, as the wrong path and team and you’re career will stagnate. Not that the guys will be doing badly for themselves admittedly, but could be so much more. 

Campbell just maybe hit his level but I don't doubt that McCann would have thrived abroad.

2 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Campbell just maybe hit his level but I don't doubt that McCann would have thrived abroad.

I think Campbell can probably feel pretty sour by what's happened to him at Luton.

He was Players POTY in their 21/22 season and was a regular in their promotion team under Nathan Jones but Rob Edwards (who seems an arsehole tbqh) started to freeze him out and essentially cut him during the close season because he was signing Ross Barkley and the like.

The Millwall loan didn't work for whatever reason but from the look of things Edwards/Luton chose to do f**k all about it. Rather than recall him or find him an alternative loan they seemed just leave him to rot.

It's one of those where you can see how stuff that's entirely out of your control or one bad move can see a career stall/go sideways.

18 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I think Campbell can probably feel pretty sour by what's happened to him at Luton.

He was Players POTY in their 21/22 season and was a regular in their promotion team under Nathan Jones but Rob Edwards (who seems an arsehole tbqh) started to freeze him out and essentially cut him during the close season because he was signing Ross Barkley and the like.

The Millwall loan didn't work for whatever reason but from the look of things Edwards/Luton chose to do f**k all about it. Rather than recall him or find him an alternative loan they seemed just leave him to rot.

It's one of those where you can see how stuff that's entirely out of your control or one bad move can see a career stall/go sideways.

Aesthetics plays a part in what happened to Campbell at Luton, IMO.

A wee baldy Scot who loves a tackle isn't what "philosophy" managers want.

1 hour ago, Widge said:

Always find it strange that a young player (given the options) would choose Preston or Stoke etc over trying Italy or Spain etc. The recent trend of young Scottish players to Italy can only be a good thing and I don't think there is a failure amongst them tbh. Compare that to guys like Nesbit, Campbell, McCann etc who went down to meh sides in England and have gotten lost. I suppose maybe they looked at Ryan Gauld as the example of a player thriving abroad but unrecognised domestically re Scotland national team.

Next saints young player who moves upward from us, I'd love it if they went abroad someplace and we can all buy in more into their journey. 

15 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Always find it strange that a young player (given the options) would choose Preston or Stoke etc over trying Italy or Spain etc. The recent trend of young Scottish players to Italy can only be a good thing and I don't think there is a failure amongst them tbh. Compare that to guys like Nesbit, Campbell, McCann etc who went down to meh sides in England and have gotten lost. I suppose maybe they looked at Ryan Gauld as the example of a player thriving abroad but unrecognised domestically re Scotland national team.

Next saints young player who moves upward from us, I'd love it if they went abroad someplace and we can all buy in more into their journey. 

Moving abroad at 21 is likely harder than it sounds.

36 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aesthetics plays a part in what happened to Campbell at Luton, IMO.

A wee baldy Scot who loves a tackle isn't what "philosophy" managers want.

Strong agree. The fact that Edwards doesn't even seem open to giving him a shot now that they're back in the Championship (a level he was a stand out for Luton previously) suggests it's more a case of him just not liking his face more than anything else.

You've mentioned McCann joining the wrong club, I think the irony with Campbell is that he actually joined the ideal club with the right manager for his skillset. It's actually been the level of success they had that has f**ked things for him a bit.

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Also agree. I've always kind of taken exception to the suggestion(s) that always follow Turnbull that he he should have moved abroad rather than join Celtic.

Not least because it assumes that these teams were actually interested in signing him in the first place but also the idea that just f**king off abroad in the middle of a pandemic would have been straightforward for him.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

To quote Ian Rush "it's like living in a foreign country'...

Probably harder in the past, but with modern technology etc, shouldn't be that hard tbh. Being in Bologna for example is clearly different from being in Preston, but you won't find many young players that regret it. I know McCann probably didn't have the options, but players like him and Ferguson have a style that is well suited to certain leagues. Going back a bit, but guys like Barry Ferguson, Paul McStay etc were almost built for Italian football.