Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I guess that line up from last year shows you how different it is now and there’s no doubt we are better equipped than we were at that stage last season.

Id put CM as by far #1 importance. Someone solid in there who can break up play and move the ball will make an enormous difference going forwards and backwards. GK is obviously number two.

Id probably sacrifice the rest of everyone’s lists further down if we could get good quality in those two positions. It could be the difference between scrapping around in 10th/11th/12th to actually having an OK season.

I think we’ve looked better so far than anticipated, even less than a month ago, where it didn’t seem impossible that we’d be the weakest team in the league. We’ve been competitive in every game with the exception of that half hour spell v Aberdeen.

But it does feel like we’re on that finely balanced tipping point of our season which could go either way… If we get the right 3-4 players in we should be a decent mid-table side, whereas if not or it’s just more squad fillers, then we could yet have a big struggle.

We’ve not been too badly affected by injuries so far, and you only have to look at our bench to see the drop off in quality. And that’s from a starting 11 which already has a few players below the required standard.

I’m still optimistic for this season, but this week is crucial for us.

I’m just putting this out there now; if we fail to improve in key areas this week but rock up next home match with a shiny new scoreboard in place, I will be starting the sack the board chants.

We need better or more options l in about 5 different positions. Across the back 4 (although an Alan Maybury or Tam Scobbie type would lessen the need for that to be more than 1), goalkeeper, centre mid and on the wings (Matt Smith being played on either flank does him nor us any favours).

Any jitters about whether we'd be able to keep Sidibeh will be quelled after yesterday. Anyone watching him not only play as poorly as that but also display that behaviour at the red card will cross him off and move onto the next target. 

CM, goalie and Tam Scobbie for me in that order. A pacey winger on loan from somewhere down south would be a good option to have too. 

Think Levein needs to simplify things a bit, especially next weekend at home to one of the weaker teams. I get starting Neilson in midfield to some extent - means you can switch to the back 3 without making a sub etc etc. But we need to get our most creative players into their best positions, rather than leaving Carey toiling in central midfield alongside a ghost and a kid or a not fully fit Wright basically having to play two positions at once.

New GK

Keltjens Sanders Cameron Raymond

Wright        Smith      New CM          Carey

Clark             Kimpioka

It’s far from the biggest issue but Drey Wright is not a right back. He wasn’t horrendous yesterday and actually had some decent moments of defensive play but you can tell he’s not comfortable there. 

It’s difficult to prioritise exactly what we need as there’s so much but you are talking at least three players that will come in and instantly be established in the team. At this stage in the transfer window can anyone see that happening?  Extremely doubtful and it just makes it all the more frustrating filling the squad with unneeded dross in certain areas. 

Saints fans are dying for Sprangler to get a game... 

The fact he's playing MacPherson then Neilson in there ahead of him for me confirms all you need to know about Levein's view on Sprangler. Not only that but he stuck with Neilson yesterday despite him being being fairly poor. 

He's just not fancied. 

58 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

New GK

Keltjens Sanders Cameron Raymond

Wright        Smith      New CM          Carey

Clark             Kimpioka

Wouldn’t be upset if this happened. Might be harsh on Neilson but other than that no complaints 

The absolute musts for me are a new goalkeeper and a centre midfielder.

Both experienced, confident and leaders on the pitch.

It'd be worth going over budget to get these in my opinion.

Yes, we need all the rest but I think these are the priorities.

In terms of a left sided player, I noticed that Robinson hasn't been getting a game for Wigan.

As we know, he can play left back and left side of a back three. Just putting it out there.

5 hours ago, Gekko said:

The absolute musts for me are a new goalkeeper and a centre midfielder.

Both experienced, confident and leaders on the pitch.

It'd be worth going over budget to get these in my opinion.

Yes, we need all the rest but I think these are the priorities.

Totally agree with this. Rae is not good enough to go through the season as our number one, or, more to the point, we don't have a good enough defence to cover his mistakes in the way we did when Zander Clark has a poor 18 months.

Leadership is key. Cameron seems a loan leader on the pitch. When Raymond had his horrific miss, there way a lack of arms round him from senior players for me. Carey just rants and moans rather than encourages.

I'd be making these moves:

Out:

MacPherson

Sprangler

Sidibeh (cash in)

In:

New GK

New CM (Battling shitebag kind of player

New CM (Creative Spoony kind of player

48 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

I'm honestly not sure there is actually any clubs prepared to sign Sidibeh for this alleged 500k fee. 

Nearly all the press rumour has just been made up. 

Sure it's been said the release clause is closer to £1m than £500k.

Nobody will be signing him anyway.

Only contracted players I can see leaving permanently are Olufunwa and Connor Smith, but both would be pay offs rather than someone buying them.

Notice that Malachi Fagan Walcott the centre half from Cardiff that was on loan at Dunfermline last year is expected to go out on loan, always looked quite impressive for Dunfermline last season - wondered if that might be one we would go for. 

Thst banter page man… we really do have a lot of complete zoomers in our support. Adama Sidibeh came from non-league football and played a major part in keeping us in the division.

He puts everything into matches and puts his body on the line. There’s no doubt he’s raw and needs to improve his awareness, decision making and hold up play.

But ffs he’s played professional football for 8 months and done brilliantly.  He was foolish in his reaction yesterday, with experienced pros goading him into a reaction and he needs to learn from it. I’m sure he will.  He’s hardly the first player to react to a situation on the park.

Him and Benj are great to watch for us, absolutely night and day compared to the dull toothless play we’ve suffered the past 3 years.  Folk turning on Sidibeh and writing shite about how he’s only playing to get a move or he’s a liability, or he’s not as good as Kimpioka as if you have to like one or the other.. f**king f**k me it’s as if some folk are desperate for him to fail.   Nobody was saying anything after his two goals at killie away.

Let's enjoy him whilst he’s here and give the lad a bit of backing rather than turn on him at the first bit of adversity.