Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Its Neilsons man at both corners.

Second one hes so intent on wrestling Casey he doesn't even seem to bother looking at where the ball is.

9 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Also the Sanders red today. 

Referee didn't witness the alleged foul or decided it wasn't a foul. 

Forth official tells ref to give it and the ref runs over and sends him off. For something he didn't think was a foul 5 secs prior 🤦‍♂️

What's the complaint? That the ref missed it initially, or that the officiating team are working collaboratively? 

Neilson is another stereotypical St Johnstone 2021-24 signing.

He obviously has a bit of ability and has occasional decent moments but he’s a nothing player. A jersey filler. He’s soft, like our other two centre backs, and it’s bringing in players of that standard into our first team that is the reason we are a struggling side and will continue to be. Not terrible, but doesn’t lift the overall standard of the team and wouldn’t get a start for any other team in the league.

There were occasional spells of football today but we have no hope in any match if we flog goals. 

I’ve heard a few times how good MacPherson is in training, and I think that’s what clouds the judgement of our recent managers. But I think Levein not starting him last week and subbing him today is beginning to realise.. he just isn’t good enough to play the way he tries to at this level. He should go to a championship club and would probably be a stand out. 

I think Essel will learn and improve playing alongside Holt so still have hope he’ll come good. We badly need a defensive midfielder sitting in front protecting our defence, and I think Essel could play that role.

Give the captaincy to Holt, boot Cameron up the backside. Carey is our most creative player, find a way to get him in the team in forward areas. 

Benji is a joy to watch and I think Kirk looks promising.

The main person that could do that defensive midfield job is sitting on the bench in Spangler. He at least now deserves a chance.

Carey                            Smith

Holt Spangler 

May get us to Christmas in touch of 9th

Lots of doom and gloom after that game.

Positives:

Ross recovered very well after his early mistake.  Couple of real quality saves.

Smith played well. Starting to look like an important player for us.

Holt looks like he'll make a difference. Massive upgrade on Macpherson. 

Kirk made a difference when he came on.

Benji was very good.

Negatives:

For such big lads our CBs are nowhere near aggressive enough. (the non-penalty came about because Neilson was so weak in a tackle against a guy much smaller than him).

Our passing was ponderous and too negative.  (This would improve by getting Holt and Carey in the starting line-up.

If Nicky Clark was fully fit yesterday, then he's done. Contributed nothing. 

A quick word on Essel. He didn't play well yesterday, but let's not forget he's a very young player.  You're gonna get inconsistency with him.

The pie was great. Weather lovely. Pitch looked good and I had a chat with a couple of old pals. So not the best day, but not the worst. 

8 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

wouldn’t get a start for any other team in the league.

Was thinking about this during the game.

Like take the last 6 months performances, and how many of our starting line up yesterday start for anyone other than us or maybe County?

Could only think of Kimpioka really. Raymond possibly? Others feel like ones who get occasional starts but are guaranteed first choice.

Then halfway through that thought process Liam Gordon dominated someone in the air and I began wondering if we're now just a club that gets the worst out of players and never improves them.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Can do all you want to improve matchday experience, but that is now our longest top flight run without a win. That’s happened on Leveins watch. That’s what’s keeping paying customers away now. 

I refuse to accept he didnt think Mitov was away back in April, was quite clear once the release clause talk came up he was away. Why did he spend money on a crock up top and then sign someone clearly brought in to be number 2, and continue telling us it’s between Ross and Rae? 

Also, how in the f**k can you not have a goalkeeping coach 2 weeks after they depart? It’s embarrassing. f**king embarrassing. Can Levein not find someone willing to work for him? 

Nicky Clark is done. And quite frankly if that’s his best performance up top, he should’ve been away on loan and not May. 

Twitterboy is just so so so f**king poor. It’s pathetic and embarrassing watching him struggle in midfield. Holt pissed all over him in his cameo. If he starts away to Hibs I’ll be livid. 

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Like take the last 6 months performances, and how many of our starting line up yesterday start for anyone other than us or maybe County?

Could only think of Kimpioka really. Raymond possibly? Others feel like ones who get occasional starts but are guaranteed first choice.

Then halfway through that thought process Liam Gordon dominated someone in the air and I began wondering if we're now just a club that gets the worst out of players and never improves them.

I think Gordon was always like that in the air, even with us he won the majority it was the rest of his play that deteriorated. He was also up against Clark and Benji in the air and that makes it easy. I think Cameron could be that player, he just needs to take a step forward and really attack the ball. Neilson just doesn’t have it in him, I’ve never seen a defender lose so many 50/50 challenges. 

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Liam Gordon has always been a good top flight defender. The problem when you are run poorly for years is the good people and players get dragged down by all the negativity, incompetence and lack of quality around them. He’s now part of a defence that has good senior players like McGinn, Casey and SOD which will be organised and allow him to perform at his best - good luck to him - he certainly looks to have made the right decision personally in the summer. 

Levein has recruited some good players and players with decent potential but that won’t mean much if he doesn’t get a balanced team on the park capable of getting positive results in this league. Any good work he’s done will count for little if he doesn’t sign a first choice goalkeeper and centre half, get the defence organised and start picking the right combinations in midfield with players in their best positions. Holt, Sprangler, Matt Smith, Carey and Wright are our best midfield options - get them on the pitch together in positions they are most effective. Stop playing players out of position and over complicating things tactically. Realise which players are liabilities and will let us down consistently and stop picking them. 

40 minutes ago, Widge said:

I think Gordon was always like that in the air, even with us he won the majority it was the rest of his play that deteriorated. He was also up against Clark and Benji in the air and that makes it easy. I think Cameron could be that player, he just needs to take a step forward and really attack the ball. Neilson just doesn’t have it in him, I’ve never seen a defender lose so many 50/50 challenges. 

Notts County fans moaned about Cameron saying he was soft, would let the ball bounce a lot, then tried to get out of it by just flopping over and hoping he gets a free kick. Yesterday give a glimpse of that and I'm hoping it was just a bad day as I've liked him in the other games.

Agreed on Neilson. Assume he was bigger/quicker than everyone at youth level so never had to actually fight for the ball and could cruise through games, as there's just an urgency missing from everything he does. A total waste.

Loads of criticism and negativity on here today and yesterday but nothing that is untrue or over the top. The next 2 games are already must win games for us. After them we have 5 of last season’s top 6 so the need for points in the next two is all too obvious. If we get nothing then a change of manager must be on the cards but whether our new owner has the bollocks or the knowledge to make the necessary changes is not known. 

If we don’t get players in before the Hibs game we are going to have a real struggle with set pieces. We will only have Cameron and Neilson of a decent height. If we play our best midfield in the correct positions then we’d have Wright, Holt Smith and Carey. Add in Raymond and possibly Kjeltens (remember him?) and we would be like a team constructed in Lilliput. 

I'm not sure height is a problem with us defending set plays. Frazer Wright is probably shorter than all our current CBs but he actually wanted to win the ball so he was better.

This three spent every set play more interested in the opponent than the ball.