Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

3 minutes ago, shibbydoo said:

Let's get a woman in to manage us.

Imagine the press coverage!!

A good female coach would be miles better than the utter guff in the lists I've seen.

I'm not sure if the professional game in Scotland is ready for this. Lots of males can't accept female managers for various reasons.

14 minutes ago, shibbydoo said:

A good female coach would be miles better than the utter guff in the lists I've seen.

Shelley Kerr is an excellent coach and would certainly be better than some of the names mentioned. Whether the players would be accommodating or not would be the biggest hurdle I’d think 

9 minutes ago, johnoswald2712 said:

Shelley Kerr is an excellent coach and would certainly be better than some of the names mentioned. Whether the players would be accommodating or not would be the biggest hurdle I’d think 

The female Stephen Pressley? Get that straight in the f**king bin.

28 minutes ago, johnoswald2712 said:

They are professionals and know that the more successful they are with a club like ours, the better the chance of advancing their career. Owen Coyle, Derek McInnes and Steve Lomas moved on to England after various degrees of success with us

The last manager to move onto something better was over 10 years ago. That reputation is fading fast and we're becoming a side who sacks managers every season.

To me we're only likely to attract Scottish ones who are on their way down and think we're easy plucking because we're a wee diddy side punching above their weight. Ones who think there's no real expectation/pressure, as if we're relegated that's us just as our expected level.

Id rather we took a punt on a foreign based one who doesn't really know, or fear, other clubs because he doesn't regard us the way Scottish ones will. To him we're a top flight side, as we've been here so long, going through a bad spell who can be making Europe again.

We've not chance of getting folk like it but a Morten Eskesen type would do me. Been a manager for ~20 years, managed on a budget, managed to get teams promoted and "punching above their weight", managed attacking football, current manager of Denmarks youth sides, previously been a dedicated set piece coach. Has no preconceived ideas about us so would be taking it based off the vision Webb sells him.

As I say, not realistic, but that's the profile I think we need more than some Largs trained Scot who comes in thinking we're a diddy side.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

The last manager to move onto something better was over 10 years ago. That reputation is fading fast and we're becoming a side who sacks managers every season.

To me we're only likely to attract Scottish ones who are on their way down and think we're easy plucking because we're a wee diddy side punching above their weight. Ones who think there's no real expectation/pressure, as if we're relegated that's us just as our expected level.

Id rather we took a punt on a foreign based one who doesn't really know, or fear, other clubs because he doesn't regard us the way Scottish ones will. To him we're a top flight side, as we've been here so long, going through a bad spell who can be making Europe again.

We've not chance of getting folk like it but a Morten Eskesen type would do me. Been a manager for ~20 years, managed on a budget, managed to get teams promoted and "punching above their weight", managed attacking football, current manager of Denmarks youth sides, previously been a dedicated set piece coach. Has no preconceived ideas about us so would be taking it based off the vision Webb sells him.

As I say, not realistic, but that's the profile I think we need more than some Largs trained Scot who comes in thinking we're a diddy side.

Tommy Wright turned down at least 2 opportunities to go elsewhere so while the first point is factual it doesn’t tell the whole story.

As for only attracting Scottish managers on their way down, I don’t accept this. Sure Murray wouldn’t be my choice (and we don’t know he’s being considered)but who do you think is being considered that is on his way down? Maybe Lennon but Scott Brown and McCabe are young managers at the start of their careers while Peter Leven hasn’t even really started a managerial career. I wouldn’t be opposed to a foreign coach or manager but to simply dismiss Scottish ones is the football equivalent of being too wee, too poor and too stupid to be an independent country.

Finally Largs was good enough for Jose Mourinho and Nuno Espírito Santo. Sir Alex Ferguson routinely sent his coaches up here to get their qualifications. Most coaches I know only go to the Orium (SFA stopped using Largs a few years ago) to get their badges. They develop their coaching style and football philosophy once they get back to their clubs 

2 hours ago, shibbydoo said:

The Scottish game wasn't even prepared to give Ian Cathro a chance.