Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Seeing the press images of Valakari embracing Douglas at today's game gives vibes of a manager that will sell the club and vision to signing targets. This reminds me of TW's excellent ability to sell Saints to potential signings. 

The lack of this, in recent years, has been damaging to a successful and cohesive signing strategy but this may be the beginning of a positive re-set.

Clearly early days with Valakari but good vibes...

42 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Is Korsah in the country also? 

As the guy i heard saying he's on trail absolutely wasn't Douglas. The fact I ask about Korsah probably gives away why I'm sure it wasn't Douglas 🤣

Are we being linked with Dennis Korsah? Bizarrely, I was sent a random email about 3 years ago, supposedly from a Turkish based football agent, offering me several players, one of which was Dennis Korsah 😂 f**k knows who he thought I was! 

2 minutes ago, Nelly78 said:

Are we being linked with Dennis Korsah? Bizarrely, I was sent a random email about 3 years ago, supposedly from a Turkish based football agent, offering me several players, one of which was Dennis Korsah 😂 f**k knows who he thought I was! 

Believe he was the other African player Levein was after prior to his punting. 

22 minutes ago, Nelly78 said:

Was all set to come over, was just waiting on a visa, then Levein was sacked 

3 hours ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Raymond has never been fully fit since arriving. Has been playing through niggles all season. It makes sense to bring in another option down that side 

You can see that which speaks volumes about him tbh. I think there's a real player there. Him and Kimpioka - I know there is no chance with the latter - are the two I'd love to have tied down long long term..

Neilson screams the type of loan that will come good just as we send him back. Hope he adds the missing parts to his game though. 

10 hours ago, Nat King Goals said:

Seeing the press images of Valakari embracing Douglas at today's game gives vibes of a manager that will sell the club and vision to signing targets. This reminds me of TW's excellent ability to sell Saints to potential signings. 

Liked this one.

editorial-use-no-use-unauthorised-942038148_6a830c.thumb.webp.782b31e8efa14d65c5c47bf3b599125c.webp

A quick note to say that Adama Sidibehs reaction to being substituted was completely unacceptable.

Whilst you’d hardly expect or want  him to be delighted, there’s no need to be a c**t either.

It sadly appears as though his agent is very much in side his head and that he very much believes the hype.

Yeah Sidibehs reaction was poor, refusing to go off next to Kirk and then refused to shake anyone's hand, before going up the tunnel (before coming back out). It's not a great look if clubs are looking at him as a signing and Kimpiokas there working like f**k and scoring.

Was a bit disappointed with Kirk too FWIW, two chances to play in Kimpioka for a chance and twice he went alone instead. Know he'll have been desperate to make an impression but scoring goals isn't the only way a striker can do that.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah Sidibehs reaction was poor, refusing to go off next to Kirk and then refused to shake anyone's hand, before going up the tunnel (before coming back out). It's not a great look if clubs are looking at him as a signing and Kimpiokas there working like f**k and scoring.

Was a bit disappointed with Kirk too FWIW, two chances to play in Kimpioka for a chance and twice he went alone instead. Know he'll have been desperate to make an impression but scoring goals isn't the only way a striker can do that.

Goes back to that conversation a few weeks ago we had about Kirks decision making.

As we discussed he'll learn hopefully etc but it it's consistently really quite poor and yesterday was a continuation of it ☹️

Just now, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Goes back to that conversation a few weeks ago we had about Kirks decision making.

As we discussed he'll learn hopefully etc but it it's consistently really quite poor and yesterday was a continuation of it ☹️

It's where coaching comes in, and where players like Clark should come into things too.

If he listens and he's coached well then it's quickly a non-issue.

FWIW for a 15 minute period between 46th minute and the 60th, at 2-0 and against 10 men, we averaged 80% possession.

Just ended any County fightback attempt and put us in control when it mattered. County then got their tails up eventually but it wasn't catching our players cold after the break and it was handled comfortably. 

Screenshot_20241020_094738_Drive.jpg.bf8e99b725430c18c8c0deab8738ccc2.jpg

36 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I’ve got to say, whilst Benji holds onto the ball too long at times, he was better yesterday and I think someone’s had a word. There was also a point with about 10 minutes to go where he tracked a midfielder all the way to our box, won the ball and drove up the pitch. That attitude in him was excellent to see and Adama could take a look at it. I agree with Tam, I’d be more annoyed if he was happy to be taken off in a game where there were goals. I suspect he was more annoyed with the fact he’d been pretty poor in a game where he could have done so much more damage. I guess by playing 3 strikers you’ve got the slight luxury that if one isn’t firing, chances are at least one of the others will be. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

FWIW for a 15 minute period between 46th minute and the 60th, at 2-0 and against 10 men, we averaged 80% possession.

Just ended any County fightback attempt and put us in control when it mattered. County then got their tails up eventually but it wasn't catching our players cold after the break and it was handled comfortably. 

As frustrating as not really going for it yesterday was, this is quite a mature way to see out games. Tommy Wright did that too. When the game is more or less won, kill the game off and conserve energy while dragging the opposition all over the place. County will be pretty demoralised after that defeat.

Counter is though, goal difference might come into it and likely if we are in a relegation battle, it will be worth County, so double benefit of goals against them. 6 goal swing yesterday could be significant come May and could have been more. 

Edited by Theyellowbox

26 minutes ago, Widge said:

I’ve got to say, whilst Benji holds onto the ball too long at times, he was better yesterday and I think someone’s had a word. There was also a point with about 10 minutes to go where he tracked a midfielder all the way to our box, won the ball and drove up the pitch. That attitude in him was excellent to see and Adama could take a look at it. I agree with Tam, I’d be more annoyed if he was happy to be taken off in a game where there were goals. I suspect he was more annoyed with the fact he’d been pretty poor in a game where he could have done so much more damage. I guess by playing 3 strikers you’ve got the slight luxury that if one isn’t firing, chances are at least one of the others will be. 

Was going to find that clip of him chasing back tbh, was brilliant to see and he done it few times covering for Sidibeh down the right too.

I still really rate Sidibeh but if folk are coming to our games to look for a new striker its a no brainer who you leave talking about.

1 minute ago, Theyellowbox said:

As frustrating as not really going for it yesterday was, this is quite a mature way to see out games. Tommy Wright did that too. When the game is more or less won, kill the game off and conserve energy while dragging to opposition all over the place. County will be pretty demoralised after that defeat.

Counter is though, goal difference might come into it and likely if we are in a relegation battle, it will be worth County, so double benefit of goals against them. 6 goal swing yesterday could be significant come May and could have been more. 

I think they did go for it tbh, just in a smart way. Full backs still going high, 3 strikers on the park, midfielders making runs. 

Could play the 2nd half the exact same way and win by 4 or 5 quite easily IMO.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

It’s a bit shite to watch, but some of the frustration in the stands in that period was annoying me. We managed the game really well in the second half and it’s probably as mature a performances as I’ve seen from this team. There was no need to force things, especially as County weren’t really pressing. 

Edited by PSJ.84