Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Yes. It's immensely disappointing to see him holding a scarf of a club he's just signed for, as part of an official announcement of his signing. 

Personally feel its destroyed his whole legacy here tbqh.

Usually they show a bit of respect and wait till, you know, they've actually signed rather than just confirmation of a PCA.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Yes. It's immensely disappointing to see him holding a scarf of a club he's just signed for, as part of an official announcement of his signing. 

Personally feel its destroyed his whole legacy here tbqh.

Heard the club have asked him to hand back his Scottish Cup Winners medal. That doesn't go far enough though - they should have him killed.

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Usually they show a bit of respect and wait till, you know, they've actually signed rather than just confirmation of a PCA.

Yup. Hugely disrespectful. He'd have been better taking a huge dump on a Saints top tbh. I intend to verbally abuse him on Saturday. 

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

Have to agree. It's usually just a lowish key announcement of the pre-contract then all the patronising scarf waving crap is saved until the day the player actually joins up.  There's more on here...http://www.heartsfc.co.uk/news/6640.

Looks like Hearts have jumped the gun big time.

Just now, 7-2 said:

Have to agree. It's usually just a lowish key announcement of the pre-contract then all the patronising scarf waving crap is saved until the day the player actually joins up.  There's more on here...http://www.heartsfc.co.uk/news/6640.

Indeed, bit poor not only from MacLean but Hearts as well. Don't usually see this song and dance until the player has fully signed up. I wonder if that means he's not gonna feature for you guys again? With you being relatively safe, wouldn't be the worst idea to try out a few younger strikers anyways.

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

Indeed, bit poor not only from MacLean but Hearts as well. Don't usually see this song and dance until the player has fully signed up. I wonder if that means he's not gonna feature for you guys again? With you being relatively safe, wouldn't be the worst idea to try out a few younger strikers anyways.

Macca could have done all the Hearts media stuff with the understanding it wouldn't be released until later on. He famously likes his summers on a beach so he may well be abroad when the actual day arrives.  It wouldn't be the first time a club's media department have screwed up by going too early with stuff like this.

6 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Chance would be a fine thing. We've got Kane, McMillan, Johnstone, Hendry and Struthers (18 year old youth team striker) all out injured and I don't think the club are expecting any of them back this season. Other than Maclean, we have John Robertson (16 year old striker) and a couple of attacking midfielders. He'll start all the games apart from Hamilton I'd imagine. Robertson might get a run later on in games and against Accies.

Edited by Kyle

MacLean has gone with everyone's best wishes, there is absolutely no issue with him doing stuff for Hearts just now. Brad McKay left Tynecastle with the blessing of everyone there and Saints (when we actually had a media team) had interviews with him before the move became official as well.

In some circumstances you clearly have to wait but this isn't one of those occasions.

1 minute ago, Radford said:

MacLean has gone with everyone's best wishes, there is absolutely no issue with him doing stuff for Hearts just now. Brad McKay left Tynecastle with the blessing of everyone there and Saints (when we actually had a media team) had interviews with him before the move became official as well.

In some circumstances you clearly have to wait but this isn't one of those occasions.

I wonder if that's why we're keeping the signing of Mark O'Hara under wraps? Either that or we're trying to avoid McCann throwing another tantrum.

15 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

Oh yes, St Johnstone certainly wouldn't indulge in those sort of shenanigans would they? :rolleyes:

**cough** David Bagan **cough**

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Oh yes, St Johnstone certainly wouldn't indulge in those sort of shenanigans would they? :rolleyes:

Aye, but he was absolutely garbage. You actually did well out of that whole situation.

16 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Once you've straightened your eyes out you could perhaps explain this one.

2 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

David Bagan signed a pre-contract with us from Queen of the South in the January that John Connolly was the manager. We announced the deal immediately, along with a picture of David Bagan hoisting a Saints scarf in the air. We ended up paying an undisclosed fee at the end of the window to get him in early as it pissed off Queen of the South.

Connolly was so desperate to get one over on Queen of the South (he'd already failed to sign Steve Bowey, Sean O'Connor and I think someone else by this stage) so the relations between the clubs were quite strained. Maclean is a different situation for my money. Hearts were up front about it and there's no underlying animosity between the clubs or between Saints and the player and Maclean is leaving on the best possible terms with the supporters generally. I don't see a problem to be honest.

19 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Aye, but he was absolutely garbage. You actually did well out of that whole situation.

Probably! He did well for us before he went to you though.

3 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

In the immediate aftermath of John Connolly moving from QoS to St Johnstone he tried to unsettle a few of our players and entice them to follow him to Perth, failing with attempts to get Steve Bowey and Eric Paton in particular to move. Eventually a pre-contract offer to David Bagan was accepted and, rather than keep relatively quiet on it as most clubs do, St Johnstone had him pictured in the main stand waving a St Johnstone scarf above his head on their website in January, six months before he was due to sign. It was a pretty obvious deliberate attempt to unsettle the relationship between player and existing club and it worked. Bagan moved a week or so later rather than wait to June. His position with us was fairly untenable by the way it was done.

Still, much better relationship between the clubs since then to be fair. St Johnstone made up for everything and a whole lot more by allowing Stephen Dobbie to join us, never mind the successes of David Weatherston, Derek Holmes, Mark Durnan, Zander Clark, Jason Kerr & Chris Kane (and anyone else I've missed) since. :)

5 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Connolly was so desperate to get one over on Queen of the South (he'd already failed to sign Steve Bowey, Sean O'Connor and I think someone else by this stage) so the relations between the clubs were quite strained.

Eric Paton he certainly tried to get. I don't recall an attempt to get O'Connor but you could be right.

Just now, tree house tam said:

Steven MacLean could shite in my jacket pocket and I'd still not get upset. 

He did do a shite in mine and I loved him all the more for it. Ended up selling it to Honest Saints Fan for a small fortune too.