Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

What a collection of abject dross, Rutkiewicz excepted. Fortunately that season and 1994/95 are about as bad as it's got for Saints since we moved to McDiarmid.

(L to R) Colin Marshall, Stephen McConalogue, Jordan Tait, David Hannah, Lee Hardy, Kevin Rutkiewicz, Michael Moore, Sean Webb.

Did we not pay a fee for Moore? Came with a good goal scoring record in the lower leagues and got like 4 goals for us before scuttling back off to Stranraer?

3 minutes ago, Widge said:

Did we not pay a fee for Moore? Came with a good goal scoring record in the lower leagues and got like 4 goals for us before scuttling back off to Stranraer?

Paid £35,000 for him a few weeks after he'd have been available for nothing under freedom of contract. Worked hard but wasn't good enough. We thankfully got most of money back when he returned to Stranraer.

Yes, 50k unbelievably.

Even wilder that we apparently recouped it when we sold him back IIRC.

That summer also brought us Sheerinho and Steven Anderson. Not a total bust :wub: 

I spent the first season of Sheerin moaning about how we’d signed an absolute dud who was absolutely mince. Fair to say I changed my opinion the following season. [emoji23]

Favourite Mannus memory was when fans behind the goal decided to keep the ball, before utterly shitting themselves when he went steaming into the stand. 

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Favourite Mannus memory was when fans behind the goal decided to keep the ball, before utterly shitting themselves when he went steaming into the stand. 

Think it was Aberdeen? Referee booked him!

Always remember photos from the dressing room after the Scottish Cup final, all the players tanning the Carling, Mannus on his protein shake.

Are you lads not worried about TW's ability to replace these important players? Fair enough MacLean was pretty much done and Mannus has a ready made replacement in Clark, but still MacLean is probably still your best striker (Chris Kane maybe?) and TW clearly favours Mannus over Clark.

13 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Ignoring your usual 'I'm just asking a question' bait for a second, I'll answer this for the benefit of the many interested in Tayside's premier club.

Regarding Mannus, we have two very good keepers. At the start of the season I'd have suggested Clark should be first choice. He won the jersey, Mannus got it back and since then has played his best stuff for years with us and is rightfully number one. There are absolutely no worries regarding Zander Clark as a number one for me or the majority of Saints support, he's more than good enough. The issue may be sourcing a decent back up but hardly a major worry.

Kane is a better option than Macca these days, and even if he wasn't MacLean isn't at a level that's hard to replace any more. We've sauntered to another finish above Dundee for the 10th (tenth) consecutive season despite our strikers not being up to the level required, I'd be hoping for an improvement next season on Macca, not a replacement.

I genuinely am just asking a question. Unlike my fellow Dee's, I like the all inclusive nature of P&B because I can get answers to queries that may seem completely stupid to an insider ie, in this situation a St Johnstone fan, that your average fan will know nothing about.

I'd have concerns about TW's ability to replace/improve upon leaving players if I were a St Johnstone fan considering his overall track record and it seems like this could finally be the year with what is essentially 2 key components of your success over the TW era leaving with the likes of Murray Davidson etc being linked to leave as well. - But again, this is a complete 'outsider' saying this. For all I know, you may be on the cusp of greatness,I can only comment with extremely limited knowledge of St Johnstone, you guys will obviously know better than myself.

I'm just wondering if you lot see it as your 'golden era' coming to a close - or if genuinely, you can see these players being improved upon? It's a question asked more through naivity rather than potential wind-up material!

Don't let my fellow Dee's read this, but I think when the likes of RandomGuy and Captain_Oats (Motherwell fan) are posting seriously (RG's wind-up material is especially obvious) on the Dundee thread are some of my favourite posts on the site because it's good to get an 'outsiders' view on things from time to time, positive or negative!

Edited by Ludo*1

Wright has done alright replacing the ones that have left so far. Some like for likes (Dave Mackay and wright replaced by Foster and Shaughnessy) and some we’ve had to adjust our playing style to minimise the effect of them going (after May left we tightened up at the back and ended up finishing higher in the league with more points than we had with him in the team). The ones we have had to plan for have been ‘easy’ to replace. Whenever Tommy is forced into a quick signing, that’s when he tends to fall down (although Tanser has disproved that notion slightly this season).  

Our problem right now appears to be two pronged 

1) this is the first summer where it looks like there will be a big turnover of players. Replacing one or two won’t be a problem as Tommy has proven himself capable of doing that before but we already know that Mannus, Millar and Maclean need replaced this summer and you’d suspect there will be more to come. It’s not just playing ability either - the ones leaving are influential personalities in the changing room. At the same time we’ll be looking to reduce the age of the squad. A daunting task. 

2)  some of the others who are still with us are definitely starting to regress. If the new players don’t work out (I doubt they all will as that rarely happens) and the other players aren’t capable of filling the gaps then we could find ourselves in a downward spiral again. 

I think this discussion is premature though. There’s 13 players at the club who don’t have their futures resolved yet and no real murmurings of any potential targets either. The fact is though we’re still 8th in the league when we budget for 10th and that’s after a pretty disastrous season by our own very high standards. 

Edited by Kyle