Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

And this is why I, probably wrongly, lose interest in trying to help gather interest amongst folk who aren't regulars.
£23 being too expensive always sounds like a weak as f**k excuse. Always look at ICT who had a "pay what you want" day, and ended up with about 100 extra folk and a huge financial defecit.  What price would be "acceptable"?
Can't agree with the FCU either, their actions completely deserved the consequences they got, and it just gave them an excuse to go back to being Old Firm fans. The majority were never anything more than young lads desperate to be involved in the Ultra fad that's appeared in Scottish football and who couldn't afford to go to Glasgow.
Can you explain why saying £23 being too expensive is a "weak as f**k excuse"? I manage to attend most home games (season ticket) and 5 or 6 away games most seasons. However I don't have young kids anymore and consequently more disposable income than in times gone bye. However, I would never dream of telling someone how to prioritise their spending when they have a family to feed and bills to be paid. That is effectively what you are saying though. It's a bit easier when you don't have the same responsibilities as some.

I feel like you’ve ignored I lot of what I’ve said.

It’s not a weak as f**k excuse - it’s the reality. It’s why folk aren’t going to games. How would you solve the problem?

TRS, if they weren’t banned then what happened - I always thought they had been banned.

And RG, have you any evidence to suggest that the FCU were Old Firm fans who can’t afford a fare? I think baseless opinions like that alienate people. You sound like a tartan blanket loyal.
That's because he did ignore most of what you said.

24 minutes ago, The Marly said:
4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:
And this is why I, probably wrongly, lose interest in trying to help gather interest amongst folk who aren't regulars.
£23 being too expensive always sounds like a weak as f**k excuse. Always look at ICT who had a "pay what you want" day, and ended up with about 100 extra folk and a huge financial defecit.  What price would be "acceptable"?
Can't agree with the FCU either, their actions completely deserved the consequences they got, and it just gave them an excuse to go back to being Old Firm fans. The majority were never anything more than young lads desperate to be involved in the Ultra fad that's appeared in Scottish football and who couldn't afford to go to Glasgow.

Can you explain why saying £23 being too expensive is a "weak as f**k excuse"? I manage to attend most home games (season ticket) and 5 or 6 away games most seasons. However I don't have young kids anymore and consequently more disposable income than in times gone bye. However, I would never dream of telling someone how to prioritise their spending when they have a family to feed and bills to be paid. That is effectively what you are saying though. It's a bit easier when you don't have the same responsibilities as some.

Usually because they follow it up by saying they'd go every week if it was £5 cheaper.

2 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Psychologically though, it’s much easier to justify spending under £20 than over £20, even if a fiver in itself isn’t much. 

I understand what you are saying in that lower prices don’t neccesarily mean bigger crowds, but at the same time there will surely be plenty of people out there who’d be more inclined to think about the football as their Saturday hobby if it was cheaper. Home games can be a drag if Saints don’t win, and I certainly don’t begrudge people deciding to save the £23 for the boozer or whatever. 

Maybe, as I say, I'm probably wrong and coming across as a p***k, I'm just bored of asking folk in Perth why they don't go to Saints game and being told "too expensive"/"Saints are shite". Its not a battle that can be won.

It's not the outright cost that's the problem though is it? Jama makes the point that he's happy to pay £24 to go to Easter road, Tynecastle etc cos you're getting far better value for money in terms of atmosphere, quality of football the way we've been playing, day out etc.  And after the positive reports from Saturday he's keen to go along to the kilmarnock game for the normal price.

And that will be the same for a few extra hopefully.  People don't mind giving up time and money if they're getting value for it. If we'd play the way we did on Saturday for the rest of the season then surely nobody would complain about £23 to get in.

So I'm not sure dropping the price, even by £7 or £8 would make much difference, as it might just mean the big games that folk want to attend would simply make less money than they would have done.

One thing I would like to see, and its been discussed in the past, and was mentioned earlier on, is to incentivise fans to go more often. Until we go 'modern' in terms of technology, casual fans can get a card that gets stamped whenever they attend, once you hit 3 matches it's £2 cheaper, 6 matches its £4 cheaper etc. 

So it's a perception that it's worth something to you to go to an extra game or two.

Edited by PauloPerth

14 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

It's not the outright cost that's the problem though is it? Jama makes the point that he's happy to pay £24 to go to Easter road, Tynecastle etc cos you're getting far better value for money in terms of atmosphere, quality of football the way we've been playing, day out etc.  And after the positive reports from Saturday he's keen to go along to the kilmarnock game for the normal price.

And that will be the same for a few extra hopefully.  People don't mind giving up time and money if they're getting value for it. If we'd play the way we did on Saturday for the rest of the season then surely nobody would complain about £23 to get in.

So I'm not sure dropping the price, even by £7 or £8 would make much difference, as it might just mean the big games that folk want to attend would simply make left money than they would have done.

One thing I would like to see, and its been discussed in the past, and was mentioned earlier on, is to incentivise fans to go more often. Until we go 'modern' in terms of technology, casual fans can get a card that gets stamped whenever they attend, once you hit 3 matches it's £2 cheaper, 6 matches its £4 cheaper etc. 

So it's a perception that it's worth something to you to go to an extra game or two.

Maybe they could incentivise season tickets by offering discounts at places around Perth when you buy one...

I hate to be that one cynical one, but you could do something like offering folk a card that, once it's stamped ten times enters you into a draw for free hospitality or free entry for a game, and you'd still see no huge regular increase.

The club wasted a chance after the Final by not taking names and not spending money which led to a fucking dreadful season, but if folk are going to turn away because of poor play for a year, we'll never keep them no matter how hard you try.

This is exactly what happened. 
Elderly, infirm and midgets all deserve a seat with a view, I'm not heartless. They should extend the disabled section for this though.

There isn’t, and should never be, a ‘disabled section.’

I think it’s a really interesting topic tbh and I don’t think there’s a single answer why people don’t go to games. It’s really hard to see what the club can do to attract folk back. Pretty much every single person I used to go to games with doesn’t go anymore (or goes to 1 or 2 games a season max). These were all guys who had season tickets growing up as well. 

A very minor point but McDiarmid is also a bit of a pain to get to with no decent pubs around.

3 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Would it be worth the time for someone at the club to conjure up a survey asking all of their Facebook followers why they don’t attend/what could the club do to entice them? Would anyone even bother to complete said survey? :lol:

Please. Please make a survey on the Banter page.

17 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Would it be worth the time for someone at the club to conjure up a survey asking all of their Facebook followers why they don’t attend/what could the club do to entice them? Would anyone even bother to complete said survey? :lol:

The club should be surveying fans every year during the close season and questions like this should be part of it.