Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

This week's Manager's Message

After what was a very good performance against Motherwell we knew we had to build on it ahead of St. Mirren's visit to McDiarmid Park at the weekend.

A lot of people had said in the build up that it was going to be almost a guaranteed three points for us but we certainly didn't go into the game with any complacency. I thought it was a really good performance and we did everything required to get the victory.

We defended well at the back and made ourselves difficult to beat, while passing well and creating lots of opportunities in the final third. The only criticism would be that we could have scored more!

I'm pleased that we picked up another three points and another clean sheet but what has impressed me most is the response and character of my players since the defeat to Celtic. 

Not many teams would bounce back from a heavy loss with back-to-back clean sheets and six points. Now it's up to the players to make that three consecutive wins tomorrow night.

It's going to be a different game against Livingston and we know where their strengths lie. Their last six goals have come from set plays so we have to guard against that. They play at a high tempo and they always set up difficult to beat. They're unbeaten in seven matches now so that tells you the size of the task we have to go there and win.

I'll always back my players though and I know if we play well we can pick up all three points.

One of the many positives of having such great strength in depth is I can make changes to the formation and personnel on a game to game basis to suit the opposition. I'm sitting down now with different options which as a manager is an important thing. I have my team in mind for tomorrow night and we'll work on the shape and formation in training today.

We're really looking forward to the match and hopefully we can send you home happy with another victory and good performance.

Thank you for your continued support.

s.gif
Tommy Wright
Manager St Johnstone FC
s.gif

3666050_keepbelieving.png

16 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Was incredibly bored at work today and found this belter of a post from a Celtic fan. Gave me a wee spring in my step on the walk home - immensely pleasing. Thought I’d share the happiness.

SCUM!!!

C0152D91-EE5B-4939-9108-C00138C5FD58.thumb.jpeg.f1b00881e8d017bb35dee4e3caf7d14f.jpeg

Celtic fans supporting Scotland? Who are they trying to kid?

2 hours ago, Estragon said:

"Well I, for one, welcome our new St Johnstone overlords..."

Next two games are Hamilton then Hearts at McDiarmid...

Mental season, felt low as f**k after the pumpings by Celtic and Rangers, but we're somehow having an absolute stormer of a season, been the way with Saints teams before that they have to take a huge body punch to find their path, and maybe the 6-0 was this squads moment.

Tommy Wright needs a new, long term, contract as soon as, no matter what he wants. He's priceless. 

Mental season, felt low as f**k after the pumpings by Celtic and Rangers, but we're somehow having an absolute stormer of a season, been the way with Saints teams before that they have to take a huge body punch to find their path, and maybe the 6-0 was this squads moment.
Tommy Wright needs a new, long term, contract as soon as, no matter what he wants. He's priceless. 

The 6 nil Celtic score was gutting, but they’ve battered a few teams since that result and will probably do it to a few more teams this season.
One good thing is the Celtic league game being moved for the Betfred Cup final breaks up another hard run of games in December for us.

To be fair, whilst Drey has been outstanding, who out of our signings so far hasn't contributed positively?

McMillan (ok last January, but hardly played last season), Watt, Kennedy as well as Wright have all massively improved our attacking threat. And now throw Danny into the mix as hopefully he gets up to speed, he had a great contribution today.

I had my doubts about Callaghan, but thought he looked excellent today. And young Tristan Nydham showed some quality on the ball on several occasions.

The thing that stands out from our poor run for me though is the heart.  In every single game we've played since the Celtic hammering, we've had several players almost pushing each other out the way to block shots constantly. Players are putting in tonnes of running to chase back and close down, including the forwards. We're seeing a few strong challenges again, and players prepared to concede fouls and bookings if necessary.

Its giving us a foothold in games, and a platform for us to go and do some damage at the attacking end.

20 minutes ago, Estragon said:

Four wins in a row followed by Accies at home?... 

Sounds familiar...

Yes it does all sound a bit predictable, and Accies are the masters of a boot in the baws when it's least expected, but we have been defending well and have real attacking threat just now ..

It would be great to go into the break the week after with 5 wins on the spin. Killie play Aberdeen tomorrow then Hearts next week, Aberdeen play Hibs next week, and Celtic are away at Livi.  So a win for us would be great to gain ground on some of the teams around us.

5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

No its Hamilton then Killie at McDiarmid.  As far as  I can tell, our next few fixtures are:

Hamilton (H) Sat 10th November

Kilmarnock (H) Sat 24th November

Hearts (H) Wed 5th December

Aberdeen (A) Sat 8th December

Motherwell (H) Sat 15th December

Rangers (H) Sun 23rd December 

So 5 of our next 6 matches are at home, incredible.

Now I'm not one to get carried away or anything, but if we're not top by Christmas I'll be gutted.

:)

8 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

No its Hamilton then Killie at McDiarmid.  As far as  I can tell, our next few fixtures are:

Now I'm not one to get carried away or anything, but if we're not top by Christmas I'll be gutted.

Then St Mirren & Dundee away before the winter break!

9 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Should be looking to get a good number of points from this run. Bonus Celtic game postponed.

Hamilton.    Should win. 

Killie.             Mmmm?

Hearts.  Injuries and a loss of confidence for them since we last played them

Aberdeen. Have won up there against better Aberdeen teams than this.

Motherwell.  Should win.

Rangers. Not the same force away from home!