Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

2 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Good keeper till the back pass rule changed, that fucked him.

He was also a bit of a c**t with a whiney accent.

I was sure that he was signed because he was comfortable with the ball at his feet unlike big Lindsay Hamilton.

Rhodes was a total p***k at player of the year event as I remember. Was obsessed with showing everyone his watch and telling them how much it cost. He won a few awards and left with them in a bin-bag apparently.

To caveat - I read this in the much missed Wendy Who fanzine, wasn’t actually there.

Can remember him showing off in league cup game at Kilmarnock before getting lobbed for equaliser shortly afterwards. We ended up winning 3-1 after extra time. Must have been 1992, Killie on rise up leagues at the time. As ever with these memories there seemed to be a huge crowd there, ground was mostly terraced then.

16 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Can remember him showing off in league cup game at Kilmarnock before getting lobbed for equaliser shortly afterwards. We ended up winning 3-1 after extra time. Must have been 1992, Killie on rise up leagues at the time. As ever with these memories there seemed to be a huge crowd there, ground was mostly terraced then.

VeryAverage keeper with a super size ego who made easy saves look hard.He was only around 30(young for a keeper ) when we punted hiim and only played 20 or so games for Airdrie 

He only left cos we got relegated didn't he, so probably would have stayed for longer?  I'm sure he was in all the papers going on about being too good for the first division etc and expected a rake of big clubs to come in for him.

Ended up at Airdrie.

He was a showman, and full of himself, but I remember him as an excellent shot stopper.

I remember a story I heard about when he played at Dunfermline and they were getting pumped 3-0 or something by Dundee at half-time. He came into the dressing room giving it "what more can I do boss?" as he'd made a few saves, and was obviously trying to distance himself from the debacle. Jocky Scott, who was Pars manager at the time, snapped "try keeping the fucking thing out."

5 hours ago, Costanza said:

Aye, was 1992 i'm sure. We beat Hibs 3-1 at RP in the previous round. I'm sure they were holders.

Pretty sure the crowd was bout 7,000+ there against St Johnstone.

Aye, was 1992 i'm sure. We beat Hibs 3-1 at RP in the previous round. I'm sure they were holders.
Pretty sure the crowd was bout 7,000+ there against St Johnstone.

That sounds about right, we lost to Rangers 3-1 in semi at Hampden. The Scottish cup game was later that same season I think. Killie battered us at McDiarmid (must have been a replay as midweek?) including that Burns effort but we won 1-0, John Davies I think

Played over 100 times for Saints in a fairly successful period for the club. No bad for a very average keeper with an attitude problem.
My favourite moment was a fantastic penalty save at Tannadice. 

From Billy McKinlay the season we went down? Can mind that. 0-0 it finished, Golac at United then

11 hours ago, Paris Hilltoon said:

Was that the same game where Tommy Burns went clean through, lobbed Rhodes, but it then bounced over the bar?

If so, I remember Killie bringing a huge support for that, which was even more impressive as it was a midweek.

Same season but Scottish Cup, think we drew 0-0 down there & won the replay 1-0.

Rhodes was a total p***k at player of the year event as I remember. Was obsessed with showing everyone his watch and telling them how much it cost. He won a few awards and left with them in a bin-bag apparently.

To caveat - I read this in the much missed Wendy Who fanzine, wasn’t actually there.

One of my mates was going to stiffen him for being a complete c**t.

Just had a look on WAP, Gary isn't getting much praise for his work :lol:

C'mon Gary we know you read this, or at least you fucking should!! You're meant to be a Saints fan, which I questioned in your first week,  you're meant to be qualified for your relevant job, which I again questioned in your first week, come give us the lowdown on your ideas and we'll help you out where you're going wrong and praise you if you have any decent ones. You've been in the job a wee while now and the results of your work resemble the Dundee playing staff,  not sure if it's fair to blame yourself for being out of your depth or Wee Broon for sitting through the interview and thinking "you're the one for me, yip, you're definitely the man I want for this job". I don't like kicking a man when he's down or slating someone who's hands may be tied so c'mon Gary, put your side across, even in a pm, much love Tam x.

Edited by tree house tam
Autocorrect gone wrong

Tbf he's not got much chance.

Seem folk on Twitter moaning about no Saints magazine last year as it gives them something to collect, same folk now moaning we're wasting time on a Saints magazine as nobody reads physical copies anymore.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Tbf he's not got much chance.

Seem folk on Twitter moaning about no Saints magazine last year as it gives them something to collect, same folk now moaning we're wasting time on a Saints magazine as nobody reads physical copies anymore.

Lets compare his work to clubs of a similar size, is he doing a good job?

Let's compare him to his predecessor,  is he doing at least as much good work as Ross?

Has the content/output of his work been new or exciting for you as a fan or consumer?

Do you think he's even a St Johnstone fan? Not that it matters, although they made a bit of a deal about it when he arrived.

If the answer to these questions is below 75% I think he deserves as much criticism as he gets. I'd like the boy to have his say though, fairs fair.

53 minutes ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

Nothing to fear outside Parkhead imo, the blue bigots are no great shakes either 

But we'll lie down like puppies and get our bellies tickled. Like we always seem to do :(