Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

26 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I noticed in that TW interview Kyle linked to that he's talking about the chairman strengthening the squad.

Daft question perhaps but is that just a turn of phrase or is it actually Brown who does all the legwork in terms of dealing with agents etc or is it TW who identifies players, makes first contact and handles that stuff before handing over to Brown to sign off on wages and terms?

It's a more general point but I've noticed Robert Thomson highlight a difference in St Johnstone's set up on Twitter compared to the likes of Motherwell and Hibs who have Burrows and Dempster in more front facing Chief Executive roles. I'm not sure how much of a difference it actually makes since as long as the deals are getting done does it really matter who it is that's doing them? (and you can point to MOH et al as good signings).

You can imagine how a Burrows/Dempster type handling day to day stuff along with the manager/head of recruitment (or in Hibs case Head of Football operations) might create a more fluid set-up and allow for a number of targets being in play rather than the more sequential approach you're hinting at.

Aye, Stevie Broon agrees or disagrees on contracts, he's in charge, end of. He obviously doesn't write up the contracts but has final say. Saints are run like an amateur team,  saves costs on all this new fangled director of football shite.

I really don't see the point in speculating about the recruitment process, when nobody knows how it works. Tommy Wright has been here for coming up 8 years and if he was that unhappy with it, I doubt he'd still be in position.

Let's just see how good all these players at other clubs are, compared to the ones we sign, before jumping up and down. All the razzamatazz and hype surrounding new faces is just that, it's how they perform on the park that matters.

You can't always compare clubs or situations. Steve Brown is prepared to work away at the coalface and wants to be hands on, something he does for no salary it should be remembered. Other chairman maybe aren't willing or qualified to get so involved and need a CEO or whatever.

At the end of the day the club is in the hands of the Brown family and you can have a link between the chairman and the manager but, given his comments in the past, I doubt that would work for Steve Brown. And what's the alternative.

I've been guilty of it myself but all this negativity is serving no positive purpose when the league season hasn't even started yet.

Yeah the truth is we don't really know how the club handles recruitment. The manager has said previously that he likes to meet players, get to know them a bit as people to make sure they'll fit into the changing room before any offer goes in though, and other comments suggest that the manager/chairman discuss options, draw up a list of targets and the chairman then works his way through the list to try and get one of the identified players. I suspect the chairman has control of the budget and anything over and above that figure is then at his discretion. Swanson, O'Halloran and May probably prove he's willing to push the boat out a bit to get the right player, but the truth is we don't really know how much of that is posturing and how much is him actually pushing the boat out.

If the manager is to be believed, Duffy and Parish were both near the top of his list for a back up goalie/right back and Vihmann has apparently been targeted all summer. The only forwards we've been linked to all summer are May (who obviously came as a bit of a surprise to everyone) and Cummings which the manager denied. You have to suspect that the club have a striker in mind, and probably a back up left back and A.N other (the manager keeps talking about being happy with the squad once he's got 'a couple' more in and I suspect he's not meaning the back up left back when he's saying that - hopefully a ball playing centre mid). 

Edit: last summer was an exercise in patience and I don't think I've seen our fans so positive after a window ever. At this point we'd only signed 3 players (Drey Wright, Tony Watt, Matty Kennedy) and things really kicked into gear in the last week of August. I'm obviously anxious to get a striker in who can put away the chances our attacking midfielders create but I'd rather we brought in a real quality player (which the club seem to have in hand) and not a Brian Graham-esque type as we've seen come in the past. In other words, I think we need better than an 'och he'll do' signing up top, given we don't have the same quality as we once did up there.

Edited by Kyle

30 minutes ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

There’s no point in people saying don’t be negative. You can’t help the way you feel about how things Going and the club are doing nothing to help the matter just now. 

Everyone is different, some folk look at situations and just see bad points, others are more optimistic and dare I say, have more balanced views. I know which category* I fall into, can you see which one you fall into?

* complete zoomer category. 

1 hour ago, Radford said:

I really don't see the point in speculating about the recruitment process, when nobody knows how it works. Tommy Wright has been here for coming up 8 years and if he was that unhappy with it, I doubt he'd still be in position.

Let's just see how good all these players at other clubs are, compared to the ones we sign, before jumping up and down. All the razzamatazz and hype surrounding new faces is just that, it's how they perform on the park that matters.

You can't always compare clubs or situations. Steve Brown is prepared to work away at the coalface and wants to be hands on, something he does for no salary it should be remembered. Other chairman maybe aren't willing or qualified to get so involved and need a CEO or whatever.

At the end of the day the club is in the hands of the Brown family and you can have a link between the chairman and the manager but, given his comments in the past, I doubt that would work for Steve Brown. And what's the alternative.

I've been guilty of it myself but all this negativity is serving no positive purpose when the league season hasn't even started yet.

Isn't that kind of the point though? in the past 8 years football has changed massively in terms of media/agents/transfers etc but it looks like we've been happy to stand still ?

There’s no point in people saying don’t be negative. You can’t help the way you feel about how things Going and the club are doing nothing to help the matter just now. 
No don't you see if you post negative thoughts about a mediocre provincial football club you are a troll.

So you were just being a fanny yesterday?

Adding to the negativity in doing so.

7 minutes ago, Crroma said:
1 hour ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

No don't you see if you post negative thoughts about a mediocre provincial football club you are a troll.

'Mediocre provincial football club'? Are you in the right place here? Some attitude. 

If our first games were, say, Hamilton, St Mirren, Livi, Hearts with 3 at home I don't think the sentiment amongst some fans would be anywhere near as despondent. 

I'm looking forward to the season starting because I enjoy watching my team play competitive football. Don't like losing obviously but if you set expectations realistically low then you're not going to get into a foaming mess when we get humped by the city teams, and you get to feel the righteous glow on the occasion when we give them a kick in the shins.  Still confident we'll land the players that we need for a top 6 challenge and I'll remain confident until that door shuts. 

Goalkeepers

1. Zander Clark (27) -2020

12. Elliot Parish (29) – 2021

48. Max Johnstone (20) -2020

45. Ross Sinclair (18) – 2021 ­­– on loan at Brechin

Defenders

19. Richard Foster (33) - 2020

2. Wallace Duffy (20) -2021

6. Steven Anderson (33) - 2020 

23. Liam Gordon (23) - 2021

15. Jason Kerr (22) – 2022

5. Madis Vihmann (23) – 2020 – on loan from Flora