Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

46 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Players leaving for more money at bigger clubs, better sides, fair play I like that, furthering your career. Players leaving for more money at lesser clubs or less ambitious clubs in shitey leagues, well that's your choice mate, tells me all I need to know about you as a person. Like all these c***s that go to China chasing the $$$, no righters. Ay Ali ?

Yeh Southend is definitely a smaller club at a lower level than St Johnstone 😂 

See those buggers Alashkert are dishing out a hammering to Steaua Bucharest. Lost 3-0 at home.  3-1 up now away from home at half time. Steuau down to 10. Now 4-3 on agg with Alashkert needing 1 more goal to go through.

Bust my coupon as well. My hate for the mighty Armenians has peaked.

Another week passes and still no striker. Our number one priority since last season. Almost got May but what was the clubs contingency and who was number 2 on the priority list. Or is there a list. I hope it is not wait and see whose agent comes knocking on our door. I am losing patience with there could be someone in the pipeline, as it seems to have a blockage.

The manager could sign a striker this morning but he has said all summer he's prepared to wait for the right player. Of course he'll have options but only time will tell if his approach is right. He's explained his thinking though and moaning about it won't change anything. 

I was in the pub last night with some Scottish compatriots. The discussion turned to St Johnstone and our team this season. No one said we would get relegated but the majority stated we would finish 9th or 10th. The main reasons were we have not replaced experience and quality (like for like)

I had a look and over the past few seasons and i tend to agree

Goalkeeper Mannus : Clark successfully replaced

Right back: Mackay: Foster debatable (certainly not as much a team player)

Left back Easton: Tanser successfully replaced

Centre Back Wright: Kerr unsuccessful in quality and experience (his quality may improve with experience)

Centre Back Anderson: Gordon  unsuccessful in quality and experience (his quality may improve with experience)

Midfield Millar: not replaced

Striker McLean not replaced

And when I took a second look it was the most important positions; the spine of the team that we have not successfully replaced; Centre backs, Centre midfield and Striker. This was a spine with good quality and great experience. It may be money that prevents us getting experience and quality but it is a slippery slope.

This is not a moan it is an opinion about us losing quality and experience.

I think the manager has transitioned the defence pretty well. Maybe an experienced head alongside Kerr but just look at the money that Shaughnessy was asking for. Saints can't afford to compete in that field for players with no resale value.

Liam Gordon should keep improving and Vihmann will hopefully offer something. I think the coaching team back themselves to improve defenders and that'll be the hope with Duffy as well. 

Managers have done well to pick up the likes of Wright and Foster when they are into their early thirties but, again, these players are hard to attract unless they are actively looking to move. 

The two glaring holes are where Millar and Morris spent a decade and a properly experienced striker to lead the attack. I'm sceptical we'll get either and that is the probably as much a reason as anything that we've drifted down the table. Hard players to find though. 

Comparing Kerr and Gordon to Wright during his time with us is stupid. Wright was an established premier league player by the time he was with us, with hundreds of top flight games. Centre midfield and centre forward we haven't managed to replace, Tommy has tried though but it's challenging with our budget, remember he's changed the quality and age of the side in other areas. The players you mention played in a side who were being over run by younger fitter sides, it was glaring and HAD to change 

Edited by tree house tam

38 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Comparing Kerr and Gordon to Wright during his time with us is stupid.

When taking about players replacing others I believe you must compare them. How else do you judge if the team is improving, status quo or has weakened.

Our results so far have shown goals for deteriorating and goals against increasing. Remember this is only my opinion no need to say it is stupid. Disagree and say why. S

Anderson has been finished for a couple of seasons but we still have the same replacements. If we now played Mackay, Anderson Wright Easton there would be a few bomb scares. 

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

Wright was an established premier league player by the time he was with us, with hundreds of top flight games.

He was an established top flight player but only 168 games, not sure it that includes cups. The other ~200 were with Stranraer. Very pedantic but

Edited by FrankChickens1

What fresh hell is this?

Saints fans moaning that we dont have the equivalent of, arguably, the greatest ever Saints squad, every season.

While on WAP we have folk claiming giving players a three year deal is "suicide".

Edited by RandomGuy.