Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 minute ago, FrankChickens1 said:

He was an established top flight player but only 168 games, not sure it that includes cups. The other ~200 were with Stranraer. Very pedantic but

That's still tons more than Kerr and Gordon. Imagine how good they'll be with that amount of games if they keep improving, putting Ando in beside either of them is detrimental imo, think of the resale value they both will have, Saints will be the only winners out of that situation.

21 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Sometimes you can’t compare like for like. I guarantee if you asked Steve Brown who he’d rather have in the squad, 2019 Jason Kerr or 2014 Fraser Wright, he’d pick 2019 Jason Kerr. Tommy has transformed the defence and keeper extremely well for me. 

I agree Ali.

These comparisons are meaningless, at least on a direct player vs player basis. 

This should be year 2 of our transition year, moving from the old to the new. It's nowhere near as simple as replacing, for example, Miller with 'younger Miller'. 

The game changes, the team dynamic changes, the opposition changes, finances change.

I think that by and large TW is doing a fair job. With Gordon back from injury we'll have a decent defensive core with 3 CB options. He's brought in a RB to replace an ageing Foster (time will tell how this works out). No LB cover but Tanser's still relatively young. 

In the midfield I agree we lack a playmaker but we've got some of the best wide attack in the division. No point discussing strikers, everyone knows we need to sort this out. Keepers, we're covered. 

In summary, let's just trust the manager shall we. 

Here's a question though .. if we were offered 9th place at the end of the season right now, who would take it? Personally I still think we need to be challenging for 6th and that we're 2 or 3 players away from that. The challenge for the club isn't on the park for the next month.

If this was going to be the final squad, I'd take 9th if offered now.

We have a striker to come though, and hopefully at least one more other than a back up left back.

If we get the last couple of signings right, there's nothing stopping us from finishing at least 7th again.

Agree with all of that and it’s a fair summary of our squad, although it’s Millar and that’s going to be this generations Ormand!
I wouldn’t take ninth if offered now, for two reasons. Firstly I believe we are in a position to be comfortably higher than that with one or two signings, and secondly listening to the ‘Tommy out,’ brigade during a season where we finish ninth would be torture. We were comfortably seventh last year and it was bad enough. 

We were utter garbage for a very long spell from January but still finished 7th. I doubt we’ll repeat 7th with spells as bad again as I’m not so sure we can have the kind of great run that left us in such a healthy position that we were able to afford the horrendous run.
Maybe we could have a reasonably consistent season for a change and finish 6th or 7th without the dramatic highs and lows?

20 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

I agree Ali.

These comparisons are meaningless, at least on a direct player vs player basis. 

This should be year 2 of our transition year, moving from the old to the new. It's nowhere near as simple as replacing, for example, Miller with 'younger Miller'. 

The game changes, the team dynamic changes, the opposition changes, finances change.

I think that by and large TW is doing a fair job. With Gordon back from injury we'll have a decent defensive core with 3 CB options. He's brought in a RB to replace an ageing Foster (time will tell how this works out). No LB cover but Tanser's still relatively young. 

In the midfield I agree we lack a playmaker but we've got some of the best wide attack in the division. No point discussing strikers, everyone knows we need to sort this out. Keepers, we're covered. 

In summary, let's just trust the manager shall we. 

Here's a question though .. if we were offered 9th place at the end of the season right now, who would take it? Personally I still think we need to be challenging for 6th and that we're 2 or 3 players away from that. The challenge for the club isn't on the park for the next month.

With the squad we have now I would take 9th. If as some say this is year 2 of the transition from old to new, players are going to be tested and will make mistakes especially a young pairing at centre back. At this moment in time the squad in my opinion are not good enough to compete for 6th, I hope I am proved wrong.

Fans of clubs often come out with the line about their team being a good striker away from the top six. A lot of the time, I think they are kidding themselves. Dundee had two good strikers in 2015/16 and still didn't make it, for example, so it's never that simple.

But this Saints squad does fit into that category. Until we get said player though, I think anyone expecting a top six challenge is clutching. Would I take ninth right now? Probably.

When we were in the top six - and being football fans, a breed that are never satisfied - the calls were for a younger and more attacking squad. That was never going to happen overnight but I think the manager is striving for it, whilst also obviously trying to maintain a level of success equal to or above our budget.

We need to show signs of a transition continuing though. Clark, Kerr and Tanser are really establishing themselves, although by going with younger players, you leave yourselves ripe to be pilfered. The club need to get Kennedy extended as well if they are serious about building a new squad to take us forward. I imagine Drey Wright's plan was always to come up here for a couple of years to put himself in the shop window and I don't hold out much hope of keeping him past the summer.

If we can finish well clear of the danger zone but have more players like the ones mentioned above tied up for a few seasons then I think that'll be a satisfying campaign.

It won't please the Tommy Ooters but then I'm not sure anything would. I remember picking someone up when they said our form was dreadful at one point last season. We'd won 20 out of 34 games, only losing 5 in that time. The response of "yeah but we didn't play well very often" was enlightening...

16 minutes ago, Templar said:

With the squad we have now I would take 9th. If as some say this is year 2 of the transition from old to new, players are going to be tested and will make mistakes especially a young pairing at centre back. At this moment in time the squad in my opinion are not good enough to compete for 6th, I hope I am proved wrong.

I agree with this, we're not currently good enough for 6th, but we're really not far off.  I think with this squad I would take 8th/9th if it was on offer. I would hope we would be clear of relegation by March with the team we have now. 

In the close season I think that the city teams have pulled ahead and most of the others have probably, on balance, weakened or stayed the same. County are a bit of an unknown quantity, but by and large there are 7 teams that we should take points off. Once again, our main rivals I expect to be Motherwell. 

I’m not convinced either Hearts or Hibs have strengthened this season, along with a Killie team who appear to be in a poor state of affairs. I think top 6 is wide open this year. If saints can find a 10 goal a season striker, there’s enough goals from others to put a decent improvement on last seasons tally and with that gain extra points.

Quite telling that not a single player managed a double in a league game last season.

6 minutes ago, Widge said:

I’m not convinced either Hearts or Hibs have strengthened this season, along with a Killie team who appear to be in a poor state of affairs. I think top 6 is wide open this year. If saints can find a 10 goal a season striker, there’s enough goals from others to put a decent improvement on last seasons tally and with that gain extra points.

Quite telling that not a single player managed a double in a league game last season.

Yeah as soon as I wrote that I thought about Hearts, they're going to disappoint fans this season I expect. With Hibs I think they have a good enough manager to be targeting 4th.  

Edit: I'd still think that the city teams would make up the top 5. OF top 2, Abd 3rd, then the Edinburgh teams. Below that I think we have us, Motherwell, a weakened Killie and, possibly, County. The other 3 are where I expect the relegation battle to happen. 

I agree it's a bit more open this year and places 4-9 could be a rollercoaster. 

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

12 minutes ago, Widge said:

At least we seem to have a reliable penalty taker now. 

My heart would like top 6 but my head says 8th or 9th 

With my head Celtic/Rangers. Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts,/Motherwell, Killie, Saints/County

With my heart Celtic/Rangers. Aberdeen, Hibs, Saints/Hearts/Motherwell/Killie

There's yer big Tam on Sky Sports news saying we wont have a striker before tomorrow, but he's hopeful of having one before the game against Livingston.

Speaking to '2 or 3' people.

I'm hoping two of those people are called Rowan and Stevie, tbh.

Edited by Kyle

7 minutes ago, Kyle said:

There's yer big Tam on Sky Sports news saying we wont have a striker before tomorrow, but he's hopeful of having one before the game against Livingston.

Deal to be announced at 17 minutes past 5 tonight IMO 

15 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I think Rowan Vine is past it to be honest

20 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Not that it will make much difference ,who does Tommy now play as lone striker Kane or Hendry., in his 4:5:1 formation. If Kane is injured is Hobson's choice

4 minutes ago, Templar said:

Not that it will make much difference ,who does Tommy now play as lone striker Kane or Hendry., in his 4:5:1 formation. If Kane is injured is Hobson's choice

Why just a lone striker? I'd play 433, Hendry/McMillan or Kane if fit with Matty and Mikey off him, baws oot. We are expected to get beat by 3 clear goals anyway,  let's go out and maybe surprise them.

6 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Why just a lone striker? I'd play 433, Hendry/McMillan or Kane if fit with Matty and Mikey off him, baws oot. We are expected to get beat by 3 clear goals anyway,  let's go out and maybe surprise them.

I got slaughtered last year for suggesting that the consensus of opinion was to play defensive and keep the score down and move on. I think Tommy's team tomorrow will be the usual 4:5:1 

I would be delighted if your prediction became true with a 4:3:3  Front three of Kennedy Kane, O'Halloran