Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aberdeen fans are weird.

Despite the fact we're seemingly on the cusp of signing May for nothing, their fans have now decided we'll accept a cut price deal for Kerr is May is involved.

Not that I agree but we could just decide we're not releasing May otherwise?

24 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Not that I agree but we could just decide we're not releasing May otherwise?

And how would that help you?

Turns out the Aberdeen fans have found out an ever better deal to replace McKenna, including getting May off to Saints.

Spoiler

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

And how would that help you?

It doesn't really, but its sensible to try and get some return on the investment we made and we may get the usual "nominal fee" from someone else for him. 

Alternatively, how does it help you to hold out for *£700k when you could get £600k + May instead? If he starts scoring its possible his goals will be worth considerably more than that come end of season. Would that not be a risk worth taking? Imagine you reject that and he goes somewhere else and is successful, there'd be carnage.

*thin air figures.

10 minutes ago, actonsheep said:

It doesn't really, but its sensible to try and get some return on the investment we made and we may get the usual "nominal fee" from someone else for him. 

Alternatively, how does it help you to hold out for *£700k when you could get £600k + May instead? If he starts scoring its possible his goals will be worth considerably more than that come end of season. Would that not be a risk worth taking? Imagine you reject that and he goes somewhere else and is successful, there'd be carnage.

*thin air figures.

It would depend entirely on who we'd sign in his place. 

Hypothetically if the May deal falls through as Aberdeen refuse to release him and demand money off for Kerr, we reject it, and move on to our second choice (reported as Kane Hemmings), I doubt there would be much seethe at all.

I can't see any logic from our side in paying for someone we were about to sign for free.

Just been looking at some stats relating to the past year, really to see if they back up how I feel matches have gone. The trends are there and need addressed. Whether that's simply by better players or more character/leadership is up for debate. 

We've lost the first goal in 19 matches: 1 draw and 18 defeats. The draw was at home to Hearts where we got a controversial penalty to equalise for a second time. That's clearly a poor record but it's exacerbated when you consider we've only found an equaliser in 2 of the matches; the aforementioned Hearts game where we equalised twice and away to Hamilton, where we then conceded again within 3 minutes. We've actually only scored 7 goals when we've fallen behind since the start of last season. And it's not as if we are always narrowly losing games. Although the Old Firm defeats haven't helped, we've conceded 51 goals, so averaging 2.68 per game. 

What about when we score first? Thankfully, given our record when losing the opener, we've done that 26 times: 17 wins, 5 draws, 4 defeats. Respectable maybe, if not up to the standards of some previous Saints teams who wouldn't come close to failing to win over a third of the games in which they score first. We scored 40 goals and conceded just 14, so again all looks well enough, and there were 16 clean sheets in there. 

This is where there is another problem though, when you take out those 16 games which account for 29 of the goals scored. What happens when the opposition peg us back? Remember, we only managed that in 10% of the matches where we conceded first. Opponents have achieved it against us in nearer 40% of games. And the result is that Saints don't recover. 

We've conceded after scoring first in 10 games and the end result: 1 win, 5 draws, 4 defeats. The win was away to Accies last autumn where we managed to get two goals to the good. I'll list the other games as it better illustrates our inability to recover at all from conceding:

• Saints 1-2 County 
  • Saints 1-1 Livingston 
  • St Mirren 1-1 Saints
  • Livingston 3-1 Saints
  • Saints 1-2 Hibernian 
  • Saints 1-2 Rangers 
  • Saints 1-1 Aberdeen 
  • QoS 1-1 Saints (Won AET) 
  • Saints 1-1 Hibernian 

There are some late goals in there that you don't get much time to recover from but does that not just highlight another issue of not being able to see games out? In the space of a year, that's a lot of games to take the lead in and end up not winning. 

A final observation then. What happens if we don't keep a clean sheet? 17 clean sheets against Premiership opposition last season was impressive but our record when we don't: 1 win, 6 draws, 22 defeats. 

So mentally, even if you are ahead, if you lose a goal in a game, it must be hard to recover when a large number of this squad have no memory of really doing so in Saints shirt. 

Appreciate that will bore the arse off of some/most folk but I think they are interesting/worrying trends. 

28 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

I can’t see Aberdeen breaking their transfer record to sign Jason Kerr, but you’d imagine they’d probably have to get close to it in order to sign him. Not convinced even with a large fee for McKenna they’ll be signing players in the high six figures. 

Said it before but we got £800,000 for May with a year left on his deal. Saints should be holding out for certainly a club record fee for Jason Kerr. 

I'm not fussed who pays it but if anyone at Aberdeen thinks they are selling McKenna for £7 million then giving us 10% of that for Kerr, they must've floated up the Dee in a bubble. 

8 minutes ago, Radford said:

Just been looking at some stats relating to the past year, really to see if they back up how I feel matches have gone. The trends are there and need addressed. Whether that's simply by better players or more character/leadership is up for debate. 

We've lost the first goal in 19 matches: 1 draw and 18 defeats. The draw was at home to Hearts where we got a controversial penalty to equalise for a second time. That's clearly a poor record but it's exacerbated when you consider we've only found an equaliser in 2 of the matches; the aforementioned Hearts game where we equalised twice and away to Hamilton, where we then conceded again within 3 minutes. We've actually only scored 7 goals when we've fallen behind since the start of last season. And it's not as if we are always narrowly losing games. Although the Old Firm defeats haven't helped, we've conceded 51 goals, so averaging 2.68 per game. 

What about when we score first? Thankfully, given our record when losing the opener, we've done that 26 times: 17 wins, 5 draws, 4 defeats. Respectable maybe, if not up to the standards of some previous Saints teams who wouldn't come close to failing to win over a third of the games in which they score first. We scored 40 goals and conceded just 14, so again all looks well enough, and there were 16 clean sheets in there. 

This is where there is another problem though, when you take out those 16 games which account for 29 of the goals scored. What happens when the opposition peg us back? Remember, we only managed that in 10% of the matches where we conceded first. Opponents have achieved it against us in nearer 40% of games. And the result is that Saints don't recover. 

We've conceded after scoring first in 10 games and the end result: 1 win, 5 draws, 4 defeats. The win was away to Accies last autumn where we managed to get two goals to the good. I'll list the other games as it better illustrates our inability to recover at all from conceding:

• Saints 1-2 County 
  • Saints 1-1 Livingston 
  • St Mirren 1-1 Saints
  • Livingston 3-1 Saints
  • Saints 1-2 Hibernian 
  • Saints 1-2 Rangers 
  • Saints 1-1 Aberdeen 
  • QoS 1-1 Saints (Won AET) 
  • Saints 1-1 Hibernian 

There are some late goals in there that you don't get much time to recover from but does that not just highlight another issue of not being able to see games out? In the space of a year, that's a lot of games to take the lead in and end up not winning. 

A final observation then. What happens if we don't keep a clean sheet? 17 clean sheets against Premiership opposition last season was impressive but our record when we don't: 1 win, 6 draws, 22 defeats. 

So mentally, even if you are ahead, if you lose a goal in a game, it must be hard to recover when a large number of this squad have no memory of really doing so in Saints shirt. 

Appreciate that will bore the arse off of some/most folk but I think they are interesting/worrying trends. 

giphy.gif

Thats my night sorted.

18 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Obviously we can’t prioritise getting a player like him in with the striker situation, but if there is someone available in that mould, and with real quality, I’d be very keen to get him in. Easier said than done though. 

Theres an International CM, who can also cover along the back line, with EPL experience, who was born in Perth, going free at the moment...

If anyone was quick enough on twitter, I think we’ve just had a hint at some imminent news regarding an incoming transfer. 

Its gone now, but one of my bois has a screenshot to prove it. 

So, if you liked this girl, right, and you used to go out together, right, and there was a chance of getting back together, right, and she changed her social media profile picture to one of you and her, what would that mean? 

BUT THEN WHAT IF TWO MINUTES LATER SHE CHANGED IT TO SOMETHING ELSE.

FML.