Swiss villiage votes to reject migrants, pays fine instead

I hate to disappoint....

Pretty sure this story is a few months old, and I'm just as sure that a few other towns and villages accepted a fine instead of the imposed quota of asylum seekers.

The Swiss being less than enthusiastic about foreigners is hardly news, though when you look at the per capita numbers for people taken in whether from recent conflicts in the middle east and north Africa or in the past from the Balkans, they have taken a relatively high number.

Don't think the town I stay in put this to a vote. Even if they did they wouldn't have let me vote on it anyway, as I only have a 5 year residency permit and not a permanent one. There are plans to convert one of the old Swiss Army bases nearby into some kind of centre for asylum seekers, which has had the usual spectrum of coverage both positive and negative. I'm all for it, if only because it means there will now be more foreigners to take the blame whenever something vaguely bad happens.

^^^Unaware that he is a foreigner.

^^^Unaware that he is a foreigner.

Patently aware that I am a dirty auslander. It's fortunate for me that I am the right kind of foreigner, apparently.

The Swiss are a confusing bunch at the best of times.

You dream of living in rural Perthshire you coagie git.

Anyway, I have retired to the seaside, Kingoodie now.

Kingoodie is a tiny place.  You won't be hard to find.

A true story that may amuse you.  In the run up to the Independence Referendum I was asked by an old wifie in Kingoodie to give her a price for some work.  She informed me up front that the work would not go ahead if there was a YES vote!  She must have bought the guff about financial Armageddon in the event of Independence.

Kingoodie is a tiny place. You won't be hard to find.

A true story that may amuse you. In the run up to the Independence Referendum I was asked by an old wifie in Kingoodie to give her a price for some work. She informed me up front that the work would not go ahead if there was a YES vote! She must have bought the guff about financial Armageddon in the event of Independence.

I could probably have three guesses and would definitely get her. Kingoodie is staunch Nat territory.

Yeah, see what you mean:-

switzerland-hero.jpg

switzerland-01.jpg

What a bloody toilet that Switzerland looks.

This is irony by the way.

I've been to Switzerland 4 times and every time it was rainy and dreich.  Kinda like if French became the official language of Tyndrum.

I hate to disappoint....

Pretty sure this story is a few months old, and I'm just as sure that a few other towns and villages accepted a fine instead of the imposed quota of asylum seekers.

The Swiss being less than enthusiastic about foreigners is hardly news, though when you look at the per capita numbers for people taken in whether from recent conflicts in the middle east and north Africa or in the past from the Balkans, they have taken a relatively high number.

Don't think the town I stay in put this to a vote. Even if they did they wouldn't have let me vote on it anyway, as I only have a 5 year residency permit and not a permanent one. There are plans to convert one of the old Swiss Army bases nearby into some kind of centre for asylum seekers, which has had the usual spectrum of coverage both positive and negative. I'm all for it, if only because it means there will now be more foreigners to take the blame whenever something vaguely bad happens.

post-3493-1464613774807_thumb.jpg

A white guy?

Essentially yes. There is pretty much a hierarchy of immigrants here in terms of how the Swiss view folk and "White, Western European, works in one of our major industries" fits close to the top. I think only "Extremely rich so who gives a f**k just give him a permit" sits in above my status.

He must be pretty fly.

All the girls say it. Mostly because I paid them to.

I've been to Switzerland 4 times and every time it was rainy and dreich.  Kinda like if French became the official language of Tyndrum.

You want to try Lugano in the summer. That would be more Balloch picking up Italian.

Archived