Edinburgh City

On 09/10/2016 at 01:17, 1320Lichtie said:

How many Arbroath fans were there last week? Although struggling to remember if there was an away gate? Seemed a decent crowd from us and the 590 or whatever seems a lot higher than the usual, granted the Edinburgh clubs weren't playing.

590 was an incorrect crowd figure last week. The actual gate was 495. The Arbroath fans made up a good proportion of the crowd last week. I'd guess at over 100 away fans.

Graham Black's crowd shot on flicker shows them up well. 

Edited by Mr Blobby

590 was an incorrect crowd figure last week. The actual gate was 495. The Arbroath fans made up a good proportion of the crowd last week. I'd guess at over 100 away fans.

Graham Black's crowd shot on flicker shows them up well. 

Maybe not as good as I thought then...!

Eta: cheers! The wee kids singing sent me home seething after watching our terrible performance!! :lol:

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Maybe not as good as I thought then...!

Eta: cheers! The wee kids singing sent me home seething after watching our terrible performance!! :lol:

HaHa I don't think "the wee kids" will be back again. They brought a drum this week for the Elgin match. When Elgin went two up, they got a bit bored and started singing for the Elgin side. At half time, they invaded the grass pitch allegedly and got chased by the security out of the ground.

(As I was in the foyer interviewing an Elgin City fan for next week's Fanzine at the time, I missed it all and our co-editor was looking the other way too)

Silly boys. They could have been a great asset to the club in the future. The little drummer boy was really good too.

Edited by Mr Blobby

back in the day we didn't need things like drums to make an atmosphere. no, we just needed copious amounts of drink....

I do remember a couple of Brakies turning up at Forfar with duck calls, which was quite funny. And no, they didn't attract any birds that day! 

6 hours ago, tamthebam said:

back in the day we didn't need things like drums to make an atmosphere. no, we just needed copious amounts of drink....

I do remember a couple of Brakies turning up at Forfar with duck calls, which was quite funny. And no, they didn't attract any birds that day! 

Now there's an idea. It could catch on. "quack quack". I''ll put it on my shopping list.

Here's the cover of the City Fanzine Issue #Seven for Edinburgh City v Clyde.

If the Citizens win on Saturday, 'it's taps aff' for me doing a Craig Beattie in the stands. I might even put a fiver on City to win. I wonder what the odds are?

Go Tell The Spartans Back Page and Front Cover Year One Issue Seven Resized for Pie and Bovril.jpg

Here's Pages 2 & 11 of the City Fanzine Issue #Seven for Edinburgh City v Clyde.

The Roll On 4:40 review GordonD has been waiting for. (I love to keep the audience riveted to P&B)

PS. It may contain some spelling errors as I haven't had time to read it myself yet. Had the shits all weekend.

Go Tell The Spartans FC Page 2 and 11 Year One Issue Seven Resized for Pie and Bovril.png

Edited by Mr Blobby
Brought AWOL to the fore and switched with The Thistle.

Ta for that, Mr B. One comment about the article - AWOL predated The Thistle by a few months - however it was so full of swearies and other irreverent material that Dave Baxter decided to bring out his own fanzine which - shock, horror - actually concentrated on the football. Somebody mistakenly reviewed the first issue as a parody of a fanzine by "those bad lads at AWOL"! In fact we did produce our own parody of The Thistle, called "The Thitsle", which was a one-sheet giveaway with one of AWOL's final issues.

Regarding the 8-1 hiding by Kilmarnock that Douglas Lindsay mentioned, I remember it well even though I wasn't there. We were in the pub before the game (not the Golden Gates, I mean the one opposite the top of Wishaw Terrace that's no longer there) and as usual kick-off time came and went. Eventually we decided to go to the game at half-time in the hopes of getting in free. But as we got to the door of the pub Alick Milne appeared (why does that man show up in every Meadowbank story I tell?) and told us the score was six-nothing. We didn't have to ask "Who for?" So we watched part of the second half through the gaps in the fencing in Marionville Road, listening to the few Thistle fans who had stayed in the ground singing "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!"

Happy days...

1 hour ago, scrooge1928 said:

Surprised that rogering by Killie wasn't Thistle's record attendance. Every Kilmarnock fan I have ever met claims to have been there.

Sounds like Sean Connery's milk round. The number of people who claim that he delivered their milk, he must have covered every house in the city.

10 hours ago, GordonD said:

- AWOL predated The Thistle by a few months - however it was so full of swearies and other irreverent material that Dave Baxter decided to bring out his own fanzine which - shock, horror - actually concentrated on the football. Somebody mistakenly reviewed the first issue as a parody of a fanzine by "those bad lads at AWOL"! In fact we did produce our own parody of The Thistle, called "The Thitsle", which was a one-sheet giveaway with one of AWOL's final issues.

Ah, yes, The Thitsle! Years ahead of its time. I remember it well. In fact, I'll be reviewing it soon in a Fanzine near you.

AWOL has now replaced The Thistle in the leader board order on Page Two of the City Fanzine that was published earlier in the day. Thanks for the correction. The list was compiled by David Baxter himself actually in 2007. He was also a year out with Roll On 4:40 but I spotted that error myself before publication and corrected it accordingly.

So what that means now, is that The Thistle will be next to step up to the plate on "Fanzines Revisited". And AWOL will be reviewed at a later date.

img041.jpg

Edited by Mr Blobby
Updated text.

On 10/10/2016 at 19:43, shawfield shed boy said:

Would i be wrong in saying most of Edinburgh city supporters were meadowbank thistle fans and simply couldnt go along with the Livingston thing & Quite rightly so.?....

Not quite. A former Thistle fan put us right on that very contentious issue a few weeks ago, and his summary appeared in the Edinburgh City Fanzine #5 on the back page of the cover. See image below.

Edited by Mr Blobby

On 10/10/2016 at 09:15, GordonD said:

AWOL predated The Thistle by a few months -

I've now had a look at Issue #1 of The Thistle for the Edinburgh City Fanzine review. It's dated August 1986 on the cover but in the editorial on Page 3, it explains that the publication was brought forward to mid-July  "to keep Thistle fans informed as to what the club is doing pre-season". Would you happen to have issue One of AWOL to hand GordonD? My AWOL collection only starts at Issue #2 (February 1987) and it gives no clue as to when AWOL Issue #1 was published other than a long time previous to Issue #2? The two fanzines must have been close in publishing at the same time though. Don't you think?

13 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

I've now had a look at Issue #1 of The Thistle for the Edinburgh City Fanzine review. It's dated August 1986 on the cover but in the editorial on Page 3, it explains that the publication was brought forward to mid-July  "to keep Thistle fans informed as to what the club is doing pre-season". Would you happen to have issue One of AWOL to hand GordonD? My AWOL collection only starts at Issue #2 (February 1987) and it gives no clue as to when AWOL Issue #1 was published other than a long time previous to Issue #2? The two fanzines must have been close in publishing at the same time though. Don't you think?

I'm sure I've got a copy of AWOL in the loft. It came with a free record.