Edinburgh City

The council seem more interested in the athletics, although I suppose that's what the place was built for originally.  At the same time they must have given up at ever hosting big meetings in the city given the new capacity, its more of an athletics training ground than a stadium.
EC  and football do seem very far from their thoughts in the construction of the new Meadowbank. Hard to say where EC could go your at the only ready made football ground where you can play at the moment although would Spartans really want you there full time?
Would the new rebuilt Edinburgh Accies ground down Stockbridge be an option when the works done there sure someone mentioned it on here in the past?

I think Accies are meeting some stiff resistance to those plans from local residents and last time I went past there had been no progress.

Don’t see Ainslie Park as a long term thing, unless there were proposals to upgrade it (don’t see that at all).

Mate of mine mentioned asking about sharing or developing something with one of the University’s but that’s literally just a couple of mates talking.

The new back pitches and stadium at Murrayfield.............

Just now, AllyMonc said:

I think Accies are meeting some stiff resistance to those plans from local residents and last time I went past there had been no progress.

Don’t see Ainslie Park as a long term thing, unless there were proposals to upgrade it (don’t see that at all).

Mate of mine mentioned asking about sharing or developing something with one of the University’s but that’s literally just a couple of mates talking.

The new back pitches and stadium at Murrayfield.............

The last time I went past there was when Cowden played City at Ainslie Park it was a nice day and I decided just to have a walk down from the city centre:lol: As you say didn't look like much was happening.

I reckon if Spartans got in the SPFL they may through time upgrade the rest of Ainslie Park either step the bankings or maybe put another stand on the opposite side sure there were plans for that when the place opened.

Arn't the Uni meant to be putting in another 3 stands or enclosures?

Never knew about the back pitches at Murrayfield what are they doing there?

10 minutes ago, AllyMonc said:

This is the proposal Edinburgh: SRU to consider new 6,000-seat stadium at Murrayfieldhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/42975909

Cheers for that missed that a bit off topic but a Lesser Murrayfield thing would be good for Edinburgh Rugby. 

4 minutes ago, Donathan said:

If Edinburgh rugby move to "lesser Murrayfield", could Edinburgh City potentially move to Myreside?

I wouldn't think a place like George Watson's would want ruffian working class football types at their rugby ground:lol: I went there for an Edinburgh game last season its a not bad ground although the 2 stands behind the goals would be getting moved to Lesser Murrayfield if that happened.

I wouldn't think a place like George Watson's would want ruffian working class football types at their rugby ground:lol: I went there for an Edinburgh game last season its a not bad ground although the 2 stands behind the goals would be getting moved to Lesser Murrayfield if that happened.

Oh sorry I was meaning share with Edinburgh Rugby at ‘lesser’ Murrayfield although the George Watson pitches are 5mins walk from my flat so that would be grand!

1 minute ago, AllyMonc said:

Oh sorry I was meaning share with Edinburgh Rugby at ‘lesser’ Murrayfield although the George Watson pitches are 5mins walk from my flat so that would be grand!

I knew what you meant Ally I was responding to Donathan's post.

I can’t see Ainslie Park being a long term arrangement either, I don’t mind the ground but it does feel a bit like we’re squatting in Spartan’s house.
Struggling to think of anywhere else in the city with the right facilities to go to. I’m liking the idea of lesser Murrayfield though.

4 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

The last time I went past there was when Cowden played City at Ainslie Park it was a nice day and I decided just to have a walk down from the city centre:lol: As you say didn't look like much was happening.

I reckon if Spartans got in the SPFL they may through time upgrade the rest of Ainslie Park either step the bankings or maybe put another stand on the opposite side sure there were plans for that when the place opened.

Arn't the Uni meant to be putting in another 3 stands or enclosures?

Never knew about the back pitches at Murrayfield what are they doing there?

Spartans have planning permission for a covered terrace along the far side.

Edinburgh Uni are apparently doubling the grandstand (which was in the original planning permission IIRC) and installing a couple of sheds.

Heriot-Watt are currently building a 300-seater double-sided grandstand.

LTHV are installing 2 sheds.

Edinburgh Uni are apparently doubling the grandstand (which was in the original planning permission IIRC) and installing a couple of sheds.

Always a man in the know. Cheers mate.

12 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

So there are some alternatives for City, if the new stadium development  fails to provide a suitable facility..

However in the immediate future, the club need to look at the wording of their existing lease (assuming it hasn't expired ?),  as the Council could place itself in a breach of contract situation, by intentionally and knowingly forcing City to lose its status and potentially close down. One for the lawyers.

The proposed new stadium is fine for playing football - as the attached newspaper link says, it has been designed to meet licensing Bronze standards.  The problem is that it is garbage as a place to watch football.  If the plans stay as they are, the ground will be an even worse spectator experience than the stadium which is being demolished.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/our-region/edinburgh/edinburgh-city-fc-not-convinced-by-new-meadowbank-plans-1-4689135

All the artist's impressions are careful not to show what the new stand will look like.  It will look like the stand at K-Park, East Kilbride, but with only three rows of seats rather than four, and with the park separated from the stand by a concrete circulation area, an eight-lane running track and a long-jump pit.  There will be no standing inside the track as was done at Stirling University when they still played at Gannochy, and there will be no safe standing areas behind the goals because the pole vault area will be at one end and the high jump at the other.  In fact there will be no standing, anywhere.  Where the dug-outs are going to go is anyone's guess.

The Council are quite clearly startled by our reaction.  While the athletes at Meadowbank kick up hell on a regular basis, the football club has tended to deal privately with Edinburgh Leisure to get problems settled; but the problems presented by these plans cannot be fixed by a few bits of tape and opening another gate. 

Whoever designed and agreed these plans has obviously never been been to a football match in his or her life.  The dressing rooms might have five shower-heads to meet Bronze licensing standards, but the players will still have to thread their way through spectators going to the toilets or the cafe.  Although I doubt we'd have any spectators a few weeks after the season starts.  Once they've queued for 15 minutes at the single turnstile to sit in a wet seat to watch a match where the nearest touchline is thirty yards away, they will soon find other things to do with their Saturdays - even though the referee's room has a toilet to meet Bronze licensing standards.

"Council Officers will arrange to meet with the football club to discuss their statement."  Good.  If Council Officers had listened to a single word we said at several previous meetings, there might not have needed to be a statement.

3 hours ago, scrooge1928 said:

The proposed new stadium is fine for playing football - as the attached newspaper link says, it has been designed to meet licensing Bronze standards.  The problem is that it is garbage as a place to watch football.  If the plans stay as they are, the ground will be an even worse spectator experience than the stadium which is being demolished.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/our-region/edinburgh/edinburgh-city-fc-not-convinced-by-new-meadowbank-plans-1-4689135

All the artist's impressions are careful not to show what the new stand will look like.  It will look like the stand at K-Park, East Kilbride, but with only three rows of seats rather than four, and with the park separated from the stand by a concrete circulation area, an eight-lane running track and a long-jump pit.  There will be no standing inside the track as was done at Stirling University when they still played at Gannochy, and there will be no safe standing areas behind the goals because the pole vault area will be at one end and the high jump at the other.  In fact there will be no standing, anywhere.  Where the dug-outs are going to go is anyone's guess.

The Council are quite clearly startled by our reaction.  While the athletes at Meadowbank kick up hell on a regular basis, the football club has tended to deal privately with Edinburgh Leisure to get problems settled; but the problems presented by these plans cannot be fixed by a few bits of tape and opening another gate. 

Whoever designed and agreed these plans has obviously never been been to a football match in his or her life.  The dressing rooms might have five shower-heads to meet Bronze licensing standards, but the players will still have to thread their way through spectators going to the toilets or the cafe.  Although I doubt we'd have any spectators a few weeks after the season starts.  Once they've queued for 15 minutes at the single turnstile to sit in a wet seat to watch a match where the nearest touchline is thirty yards away, they will soon find other things to do with their Saturdays - even though the referee's room has a toilet to meet Bronze licensing standards.

"Council Officers will arrange to meet with the football club to discuss their statement."  Good.  If Council Officers had listened to a single word we said at several previous meetings, there might not have needed to be a statement.

Sounds pretty shit Scrouge:( Going by your description it really is worse than the view you had at the old Meadowbank.

39 minutes ago, GordonD said:

What are Bronze standards? I'm assuming it's a wee bit short of Premiership but presumably okay for L2. But does it meet the requirements for L1?

There are 4 Premiership cubs who are Bronze - Dundee, Hearts, Ross County and St Johnstone, although Ross County's ground has a silver award.  All Championship clubs apart from Dunfermline (Silver) and St Mirren (Gold) are Bronze.

All L1 sides are Bronze apart from Albion Rovers (Entry) are Bronze.  All L2 apart from City and Montrose are Bronze both are currently Entry although Ainslie Park is Bronze.

All the non league clubs are Entry level although Spartans Cumbernauld and Nairn have Bronze grounds.

Criteria is Ground, First Team, Legal/Admin, UEFA Licence and Youth you get marked on each. Hope this helps.