Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2024/25

On 15/11/2020 at 21:35, G51 said:

I'd guess something like this:

Mclaughlin, Patterson, Balogun/Helander/Goldson (2 of 3), Bassey, Zungu/Davis, Arfield, Aribo, Itten, Barker, Defoe

It is a really strong squad that SG has built when you consider a fair number of those are not automatic picks.

Having games postponed isn't a punishment. Having games forfeited is.
Did I agree with Ms Sturgeon's decision to postpone the Aberdeen and Celtic games? No, I did not.
Did I see why it was a vital thing to do to ensure the health and safety of all footballer players in Scotland? Again, no.
Did I think it's very funny that this happened while Rangers were later correctly praised for their swift and brutal responses to Jones and Edmundson? Yes. 100%.

Having games postponed during the season is a punishment, at that point players where gaining match sharpness and the teams were gathering momentum, both of these were reset when the games were wrongly postponed.

Having games postponed isn't a punishment. Having games forfeited is.

Having games postponed during the season is a punishment, at that point players where gaining match sharpness and the teams were gathering momentum, both of these were reset when the games were wrongly postponed.

1 hour ago, Drew Brees said:

Aberdeen and Celtic were both given a 2 match ban.

Eyes What GIF

1 hour ago, weirdcal said:

Aberdeen and celtic were given the warning shots. The players in this, having seen what was handed out did as they pleased anyway.
Giving the players a ban that's harsher than previous is showing its not to be taken lightly.
Hell mend the ones that breach next as I get the feeling a longer ban or forfeiture will not be far off

This.

I think there is some logic on going easier on rule breakers at the start when people are getting used to something new and being harder on people later on when there can be no excuse, it would be difficult to include that logic in the regulations.  This punishment should  be the standard going forward.

Surely every club will point this out to their players tomorrow morning.

No boogieing.

Were the Aberdeen and Celtic matches not postponed due to:

a) 8 Aberdeen players went to a bar, then returned to train with the first team and subsequently had two positive tests

b) Bolingoli returned from Spain, returned to train with the first team and then went on to feature in the match vs Killie

In each of those occasions, they had already potentially exposed their team mates (and opponents in Bolingoli’s case) which is completely different to the scenario of Jones and Edmundson. I’d guess that’s why no Rangers matches are being postponed.

Edited by AJF

On 15/11/2020 at 20:43, The_Kincardine said:

That's a brilliant montage.  Excited to watch him for the rest of the season.

In other news, @Grangemouth Bairnwill have the half and half scarf out for our visit to The Falkirk Stadi in the league cup.  I assume it will be on Sunday 29th as we play Benfica on the Thursday.

I'd expect a win but one never does know.  Remember this?

Absolutely- it’s your quintessential win/win scenario.

On another note, the game above is my sons favourite ever game. My memory of that game is Myles Hippolyte ripping Tavernier to shreds in the 2nd half.

Edited by Grangemouth Bairn

22 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

No mention of exposing others in the SPFL statement concerning the postponement.

"These matches have been postponed in light of ongoing restrictions in Aberdeen and today's news of a breach of government public health guidance and football protocols involving the Celtic FC player, Boli Bolingoli," the SPFL said in a statement.

Sturgeon said the incident involving was Bolingoli a "flagrant breach" of the guidelines.

“What I regret is some football players seem incapable of living up to their responsibilities," she said. "At a minimum, you should not be expecting to see Aberdeen or Celtic play over the course of the coming week and we'll set out conclusions beyond that.

"Consider today the yellow card; the next time, it will be the red card."

Only a celtic fan could see two of our players getting banned as a reason to moan about celtic being hard done by...

25 minutes ago, bennett said:

Only a celtic fan could see two of our players getting banned as a reason to moan about celtic being hard done by...

For some reason I can’t see his reply so it’s either been deleted or my P&B is playing up, but I’d like to know from Drew why exactly he thinks the Celtic and Aberdeen games were postponed and if he thinks the circumstances are at all similar to Jones and Edmundson.

Edited by AJF

6 hours ago, G51 said:

Very difficult to punish a club who haven't broken any rules.

Although as we saw with what the corrupt SPFL did to the Heart of the Midlothian, that probably won't stop them!!!

I agree with you that it is difficult to punish any club who haven’t broken any rules. However, Aberdeen and Celtic were both fined £30,000 with £8,000 to be paid straight away for doing nothing wrong. The phrase for that is strict liability. Wonder if we’ll see that used again once crowds are allowed back into grounds?

9 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I agree with you that it is difficult to punish any club who haven’t broken any rules. However, Aberdeen and Celtic were both fined £30,000 with £8,000 to be paid straight away for doing nothing wrong. The phrase for that is strict liability. Wonder if we’ll see that used again once crowds are allowed back into grounds?

I'm certainly not suggesting Rangers should have been fined – I was just responding to someone who seemed to suggest Rangers had been dealt with unfairly. That sort of view seems prevalent among Rangers fans on social media, but it serves me right for reading it.

1 minute ago, Mr Heliums said:

I'm certainly not suggesting Rangers should have been fined – I was just responding to someone who seemed to suggest Rangers had been dealt with unfairly. That sort of view seems prevalent among Rangers fans on social media, but it serves me right for reading it.

Well, quite.

The disciplinary panel speaks and both sets of fans take to social media to express their rage. Normal humans need not take notice.

14 hours ago, Drew Brees said:

You're not 2nd because of Nicola Sturgeon. You're 2nd because we've been better at football this season. Roll your sleeves up and get on with it.

2 hours ago, Mr Heliums said:

Personally, I think the feeling amongst the majority of Rangers fans online suggest they feel the punishments were fair, they just questioned why other players were let off so leniently previously.

11 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Aberdeen and Celtic weren't punished under strict liability.

And I know that all of us who passionately believe in justice know that strict liability is a terrible idea. The concept of punishing the innocent majority for the rulebreaking of a few is unjust, and everyone knows as much. Even children know it when parents and teachers use the concept on them.

Thankfully, such a tyrannical idea shall never be implemented in Scotland.

You're not 2nd because of Nicola Sturgeon. You're 2nd because we've been better at football this season. Roll your sleeves up and get on with it.

Don’t recall saying NS was to blame for our league position, just adding my 2 bobs worth to this discussion because I feel the both ourselves and Aberdeen were harshly treated by the scot govt at a time when they were receiving bad press for their exam fiasco.

53 minutes ago, G51 said:

Aberdeen and Celtic weren't punished under strict liability.

And I know that all of us who passionately believe in justice know that strict liability is a terrible idea. The concept of punishing the innocent majority for the rulebreaking of a few is unjust, and everyone knows as much. Even children know it when parents and teachers use the concept on them.

Thankfully, such a tyrannical idea shall never be implemented in Scotland.

Given that neither club did anything wrong,  it was exclusively the players involved outwith club time, how would you say that the clubs were punished if not under strict liability?