Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2024/25

1 hour ago, Jinky67 said:

It should have been, if Celtic were run properly and set their ambitions a little loftier than just coming 1st in the Celtic v Rangers pissing contest we could have been well out of sight.

However we aren’t and what it has done has shone a light on the arrogance of those in charge of the club when they should have been putting light years between us and Rangers when the opportunity was there.

I agree somewhat, however I also believe despite the capitulation of Celtic, it would’ve taken a massive effort to topple Rangers this season given how consistent we’ve been. The numbers we are hitting right now is ridiculously good.

3 hours ago, Drew Brees said:

I stand corrected, thanks guys. 

Being a bit older than some on here I recall listening Rangers fans I knew during their 9 in a row run.

I don't know if fans singing about but the ones I knew were going on about doing 10 in a row after 2 or 3 seasons of the run due to how poor Celtic were at the time..

Most Rangers fans seemed to think it was going to be a formality akin to Celtic fans during this era.

Indeed I rema Sunday Mail article after 6 with Richard Gough saying their 6 was better than Celtic's 9 as Celtic played nobody.

This despite Rangers having a team capable of reaching 2 European finals during the run.

Football fans are arrogant it's what we do.

1 hour ago, WilliamBragg said:

Being a bit older than some on here I recall listening Rangers fans I knew during their 9 in a row run.

I don't know if fans singing about but the ones I knew were going on about doing 10 in a row after 2 or 3 seasons of the run due to how poor Celtic were at the time..

Most Rangers fans seemed to think it was going to be a formality akin to Celtic fans during this era.

Indeed I rema Sunday Mail article after 6 with Richard Gough saying their 6 was better than Celtic's 9 as Celtic played nobody.

This despite Rangers having a team capable of reaching 2 European finals during the run.

Football fans are arrogant it's what we do.

Considering we got taken to the last day of 3 in a row by Aberdeen - who were our main challengers in the early 9 in a row years - I doubt anyone was thinking 9 or ten was a foregone conclusion after 2 or 3 regardless of how pish Celtic were in the early 90s. 

after 6 was probably when Rangers fans started to get confident 

2 hours ago, AJF said:

I agree somewhat, however I also believe despite the capitulation of Celtic, it would’ve taken a massive effort to topple Rangers this season given how consistent we’ve been. The numbers we are hitting right now is ridiculously good.

If we had matched Rodgers ambition at the time and allowed him to bring in who he wanted then who knows.

There are it’s, buts and maybes however Rangers numbers are still numbers that have been done before in this particular 9iar run

That’s my biggest frustration is that we had the opportunity to go big, hitting over 100m in revenue and we shat it and even if Rangers still stopped us we would have been in a much better position to bounce straight back instead of finding ourselves treading water awaiting rescue

47 minutes ago, Orbix said:

We can but live in hope.

Do you think the club should deduct the donated value of all the PR they’re giving the stay at home messaging from their tax bill? 

If there’s a saving on tax to be made then I am sure Mr King will take advantage of it!

2 hours ago, Forever_blueco said:

Considering we got taken to the last day of 3 in a row by Aberdeen - who were our main challengers in the early 9 in a row years - I doubt anyone was thinking 9 or ten was a foregone conclusion after 2 or 3 regardless of how pish Celtic were in the early 90s. 

after 6 was probably when Rangers fans started to get confident 

Not the Rangers fans I know.

Selective memory on your part methinks.

Can we put this guard of honour shite in the bin?  It's never been a thing at the football as far as I can remember but there seems to have been a push for it over the last few years.

It's shite and I don't care about getting one nor want Celtic to give us one at Parkhead.  *Kenneth.gif* 

40 minutes ago, Knight55WoodBear said:

Can we put this guard of honour shite in the bin?  It's never been a thing at the football as far as I can remember but there seems to have been a push for it over the last few years.

It's shite and I don't care about getting one nor want Celtic to give us one at Parkhead.  *Kenneth.gif* 

I don’t really want one either. We hate each other, why pretend otherwise?

That said it would be immensely funny.

I don’t really want one either. We hate each other, why pretend otherwise?
That said it would be immensely funny.

With a couple of exceptions it’s quite clear that the players are ‘quite pally’ with each other these days and either side would probably be ok with a guard of honour. Probably shouldn’t happen mind when you factor in the fans and the ‘troubles’ lol.

If I said the role each player had played, in general, in the league this season was...

Zungu - Deep playmaker

Kamara - Playmaker in both halves

Aribo - Advanced playmaker/final 3rd threat

Jack - Playmaker in both halves

Davis - Deep playmaker

Afield - Advanced playmaker/Box to box

Deep playmaker is mostly building attacks in your own half, advanced is in the opponents half. Final 3rd threat means getting in around the box and creating chances + having chances.

Does that all seem right?

Trying something and I'm not sure I've nailed it with you lot, as you've apparently not got any ball winners and every one is some form of playmaker.

Can't decide if that's right that all your CMs are creating attacks etc., or if its a flaw due to the sheer amount of passes your team has. Would it be better to class Aribo/Arfield as the alternative to the playmaker roles they got?

Edited by RandomGuy.

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Trying something and I'm not sure I've nailed it with you lot, as you've apparently not got any ball winners and every one is some form of playmaker.

The closest to the ball-winner role is Jack. Maybe he's halfway between that and some kind of playmaker.

2 minutes ago, DMCs said:

The closest to the ball-winner role is Jack. Maybe he's halfway between that and some kind of playmaker.

Yeah that was my worry. 

Definitely need to change it then as he's ranked last in terms of being a ball winner, which is an aggressive ball winner in this. Worry that you lot being so dominant means he's not doing enough for it to register.

31 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah that was my worry. 

Definitely need to change it then as he's ranked last in terms of being a ball winner, which is an aggressive ball winner in this. Worry that you lot being so dominant means he's not doing enough for it to register.

In terms of ball-winning stats Davis is generally 1st for us in interceptions and the likes.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

If I said the role each player had played, in general, in the league this season was...

Zungu - Deep playmaker

Kamara - Playmaker in both halves

Aribo - Advanced playmaker/final 3rd threat

Jack - Playmaker in both halves

Davis - Deep playmaker

Afield - Advanced playmaker/Box to box

Deep playmaker is mostly building attacks in your own half, advanced is in the opponents half. Final 3rd threat means getting in around the box and creating chances + having chances.

Does that all seem right?

Can't decide if that's right that all your CMs are creating attacks etc., or if its a flaw due to the sheer amount of passes your team has. Would it be better to class Aribo/Arfield as the alternative to the playmaker roles they got?

The reason the players all look as if they play the same role is because they kinda do. 

Rangers when in possession in the league play the oldest formation in world football - the 2-3-5. The job of the midfield (when it’s a flat three) is simply to move laterally to support whichever side the attack is on. This involves receiving the ball and making passes into the half spaces or switching play to the other flank, which is probably why they all seem like playmakers.

Defensively, the job is to win the second balls when the opposition wins it and thumps it to the big striker, thereby suffocating an opposing team. If that doesn’t work/happen the job is to plug the  gaps vacated by the fullbacks and prevent passes into forward players. Once the transition is over, the defensive job is screening the centre backs.

This won’t show up on statistics because there’s no real statistic that measures it. Partly because the football stats community hasn’t figured out how to create defensive metrics to measure defensive play, as so much of it is about positioning and has nothing to do with interactions on the ball. Hence why all Rangers players look like playmakers, because the stats tell you they play passes the whole time.

We have seen, in the course of the season when the opposition has thrown something unexpected at us, Aribo moving up to play as a striker, because the ball sticks to him and he’s great at beating players 1v1. It’s rare enough though.

If I had to categorise the players styles:

Davis/Zungu - passers 

Jack/Arfield - traditional 8’s. Arfield does more off the ball, Jack does more on it

Aribo - narrow 10 but plays where an 8 should when in the base.

Kamara - unicorn, can do whatever is required. Normally plays as an 8.