Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2024/25

1 hour ago, C4mmy31 said:

^^^ conveniently ommitting he was part of a defence that shipped 76 league goals last season ^^^

Typical Sevco spin, why let the facts get in the way of a good story ehh ...

facts are last season he played in a far better league than any of the celtic defence has ever played in, is better than all of them and is scottish footballs biggest signing in about 10 years, he will scoosh the league

1 hour ago, C4mmy31 said:

Gotta love how people assume a newly promoted side will be shoeins to be challenging for a European place 

The last two seasons newly promoted teams qualified for Europe, I fancy Hibs to finish second or third next season.

you are a creepy dyslexic weirdo, aren't you :thumbsdown

Yes I am ????.... Thou, I'd have thought a guy of your standing preferred a big :thumbsup. I'm sure The _ Kincardine will agree ....   

This nacho character seems to be in a perma-rage. Will watch on with interest for an inevitable heads-gone....

I reckon he'll disappear around sept, when things start to go a bit pear shaped on the park, and resurface again next June posting the same shit.

Whilst nobody can argue with Alves' pedigree his lack of resale value and high wages make this a risky signing.

His signing also doesn't address the lack of pace at CH in the Rangers* defence. 

7 hours ago, nacho said:

facts are last season he played in a far better league than any of the celtic defence has ever played in, is better than all of them and is scottish footballs biggest signing in about 10 years, he will scoosh the league

Too far. 

Time for calm heads and to give Pedro time to put together his team before we even think about getting excited.

That said it appears to be a good start and an improvement on what we had. It was THE area of the team where we struggled.

7 hours ago, paranoid android said:

I hat you c***s, but, if my mob had signed a player like Alves, I'd be creaming my jeans.

Hard one to call. Alves was a very good player but is definitely well on his way out. The last I recall seeing him was for Fenerbahce up against a very average Celtic side under Deila, and he wasn't great then. The fact he has gone From Zenit, to Fenerbahce, to Calgliari to Rangers is fairly self evident proof that he is clearly getting poorer year on year. He should be an improvement on Clint Hill but as it stands is a very expensive risk.

1 hour ago, Ross. said:

Hard one to call. Alves was a very good player but is definitely well on his way out. The last I recall seeing him was for Fenerbahce up against a very average Celtic side under Deila, and he wasn't great then. The fact he has gone From Zenit, to Fenerbahce, to Calgliari to Rangers is fairly self evident proof that he is clearly getting poorer year on year. He should be an improvement on Clint Hill but as it stands is a very expensive risk.

2 year deal so its worth the risk for the Rangers I reckon, What is the quality of Turkish football vs Scottish?

3 minutes ago, thekorean said:

2 year deal so its worth the risk for the Rangers I reckon, What is the quality of Turkish football vs Scottish?

I'd tend to agree that it is worth the risk, but I also thought that Barton would prove worth the risk for you!

Turkish football is rated 10th best in Europe by coefficient. Looks very lopsided though, with the big 3 and a 4 or 5 decent teams at the top and the majority of the rest of the 18 team top league being fairly poor. His time in Italy certainly seen him face a higher caliber of player than he will face in Scotland, and it should help his coach put his ideas across on the park, but the lack of pace and his reputation for losing the rag at times might see him struggle.

25 minutes ago, Ross. said:

I'd tend to agree that it is worth the risk, but I also thought that Barton would prove worth the risk for you!

Turkish football is rated 10th best in Europe by coefficient. Looks very lopsided though, with the big 3 and a 4 or 5 decent teams at the top and the majority of the rest of the 18 team top league being fairly poor. His time in Italy certainly seen him face a higher caliber of player than he will face in Scotland, and it should help his coach put his ideas across on the park, but the lack of pace and his reputation for losing the rag at times might see him struggle.

As far as I know he missed one game due to suspension last season.