Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2024/25

59 minutes ago, AJF said:

I’m also not sure what the fixation is with the DoF role is either. Plenty clubs operate without one. The fact that one hasn’t been appointment isn’t the fault of Beale. That’s a board decision.

He was very vocal about being more than good enough to do both.

Time will tell if he’s good enough to do both. You qualify for CL Groups it’s been a good decision. If not, it’s been too much for Beale.

Edited by Grangemouth Bairn

9 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Listen, I don’t think you can win the league - I genuinely believe Frank Lampard could win our league if he managed Celtic, but I expected your DoF to improve your defence.

I genuinely believe Frank Spencer could win our league if he managed Celtic (which is testimony to the miraculous powers of 'wanting it more').

2 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

He was very vocal about being more than good enough to do both.

Time will tell if he’s good enough to do both. You qualify for CL Groups it’s been a good decision. If not, it’s been too much for Beale.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, is going to come out and say otherwise. What impression would it give to the fans if Beale came out and said I need help?

There were already concerns amongst the fanbase about his lack of experience, so that would intensify the pressure and scrutiny he is under.

I've no qualms with criticising the board for not appointing a new DoF as yet, but you just seem fixated on holding Beale accountable for that.

47 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Cantwell is a good player, but has taken on some kind of wannabe hard man persona since he came up here, pandering to the crowd.

Ironic, as down south he was seen as being as soft as a baby’s first shite, with a heart like a mouse. 
Quite why he’s trying to act the c**t here is beyond my understanding.

It’s an easy way for him to be loved, play to the gallery and his poor performances won’t get highlighted.

Worked for Lundstram for awhile.

As for people “obsessing over the DOF” your manager himself said he’s good enough to do both roles. Seems the board have taken him up on it.

I’d be curious as to what style of football you’ll be playing given he’s packing his team with over six footers.

7 minutes ago, AJF said:

Nobody, and I mean nobody, is going to come out and say otherwise. What impression would it give to the fans if Beale came out and said I need help?

There were already concerns amongst the fanbase about his lack of experience, so that would intensify the pressure and scrutiny he is under.

I've no qualms with criticising the board for not appointing a new DoF as yet, but you just seem fixated on holding Beale accountable for that.

He doesn’t need help. He’s already said that publicly. He’s good enough to do both roles and bring success.

I’m just surprised he may start the season with Davies and Barisic in his back 4.

Edited by Grangemouth Bairn

13 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

No one had heard of a World Cup semi finalist prior to him coming to Celtic? Especially one with such distinguishing features? Pretty shocking statement that Kennie

Brazilians on the other hand when they come to Scotland can tend to be a bit Scheidt 😉

But the question was what excites him not if he knew who he was mate 

The rewriter of history strikes again. Ask the average Old Firm fan in 1996 who Henrik Larsson was and you would probably have got answers ranging from "Abba's drummer' to 'marketing director of IKEA". The point was that anyone could have said exactly the same about Larsson in 1997. Highly unlikely of course that this new Rangers guy is in the same mould as Henrik but it is always better to be wise after the event.

Edited by kennie makevin
Edit

3 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

He doesn’t need help. He’s already said that publicly.

I’m just surprised he may start the season with Davies and Barisic in his back 4.

Again, I think you are focussed on criticising Beale here for something innocuous. As I said before, if he came out and said he did need help he'd simply be intensifying the pressure on himself. He is working with the hand he has been dealt with in regards to the DoF situation.

2 minutes ago, AJF said:

Again, I think you are focussed on criticising Beale here for something innocuous. As I said before, if he came out and said he did need help he'd simply be intensifying the pressure on himself. He is working with the hand he has been dealt with in regards to the DoF situation.

I just think it’s a bold statement for an inexperienced manager to make publicly. As I said if he qualifies for the CL groups he’ll have achieved his first objective. If not, maybe the 2 roles are to big for him.

3 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I just think it’s a bold statement for an inexperienced manager to make publicly. As I said if he qualifies for the CL groups he’ll have achieved his first objective. If not, maybe the 2 roles are to big for him.

That's a very simplistic way of looking at it, although it's not entirely wide of the mark. The fact that we will likely need to face Marseille or PSV to get there means even the most experienced of managers would be at risk of going out, never mind one that has effectively had to rebuild the team in a single window.

Edited by AJF

2 minutes ago, AJF said:

That's a very simplistic way of looking at it, although it's not entirely wide of the mark. The fact that we will likely need to face Marseille or PSV to get there means even the most experienced of managers would be at risk of going out.

GVB was able to negotiate through to the group stages therefore I’d fully expect a guy who the media have all said is a step up from GVB and also good enough to do manager and DoF roles to be able to do the same for you.

1 minute ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

GVB was able to negotiate through to the group stages therefore I’d fully expect a guy who the media have all said is a step up from GVB and also good enough to do manager and DoF roles to be able to do the same for you.

I don't feel that we are debating in good faith here any longer. You are focussing on things that Beale has no control over. Additionally, you were one of GVB's biggest critics, but now he is used as a benchmark because it suits the argument that you are making. For all his flaws, GVB was very good in Europe for us.

You seem to wilfully ignore any of the context I've tried to give and fall back to the default position of "Beale said this so he must be great". Citing the club's failure to appoint a new DoF as a criticism of Beale, using the media's judgement of his managerial ability as a stick to beat him with and now using results from a period before joined the club as another. None of these things Beale can control.

2 minutes ago, AJF said:

I don't feel that we are debating in good faith here any longer. You are focussing on things that Beale has no control over. Additionally, you were one of GVB's biggest critics, but now he is used as a benchmark because it suits the argument that you are making. For all his flaws, GVB was very good in Europe for us.

You seem to wilfully ignore any of the context I've tried to give and fall back to the default position of "Beale said this so he must be great". Citing the club's failure to appoint a new DoF as a criticism of Beale, using the media's judgement of his managerial ability as a stick to beat him with and now using results from a period before joined the club as another. None of these things Beale can control.

He can control the results in the CL qualifiers though. He’s more than good enough to do both jobs so whether it be Marseille or PSV (should you advance) you’ll be fine.

4 minutes ago, AJF said:

I don't feel that we are debating in good faith here any longer.

Just now, Grangemouth Bairn said:

He can control the results in the CL qualifiers though. He’s more than good enough to do both jobs so whether it be Marseille or PSV (should you advance) you’ll be fine.

Pointless continuing 🤷‍♂️

33 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

The rewriter of history strikes again. Ask the average Old Firm fan in 1996 who Henrik Larsson was and you would probably have got answers ranging from "Abba's drummer' to 'marketing director of IKEA". The point was that anyone could have said exactly the same about Larsson in 1997. Highly unlikely of course that this new Rangers guy is in the same mould as Henrik but it is always better to be wise after the event.

Mate I’m starting to wonder if you watch football at all. USA 94 was huge on TV and there was a decent enough interest in Sweden over here especially after Euro 92 with them beating England and getting to the semis and Brolin becoming a big star. 

This was also still the age of Panini sticker books and if you asked anyone especially anyone of school age with their pockets laden with fitba stickers they could have told you exactly who Rene Higuita, Alexi Lalas, Henrik Larsson or a Yordan Letchkov was. 

And mate IKEA didn’t open in Scotland until 99 so I’d imagine your average Celtic or Rangers fan were more aware of Larsson than IKEA in 96 and everyone knows the ABBA drummer was Ola Brunkert, don’t they? 

Danilo may prove to be good for Rangers, none of us are sitting here with a crystal ball, but I only asked AJF what excites him about the player assuming he has watched some footage and researched the player a little, as his goal record on paper is pretty average. It was a fair question to which AJF provided a fair answer to and you somehow seem to have gotten your knickers in a twist about.

Edited by Jinky67

11 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Mate I’m starting to wonder if you watch football at all. USA 94 was huge on TV and there was a decent enough interest in Sweden over here especially after Euro 92 with them beating England and getting to the semis and Brolin becoming a big star. 

This was also still the age of Panini sticker books and if you asked anyone especially anyone of school age with their pockets laden with fitba stickers they could have told you exactly who Rene Higuita, Alexi Lalas, Henrik Larsson or a Yordan Letchkov was. 

And mate IKEA didn’t open in Scotland until 99 so I’d imagine your average Celtic or Rangers fan were more aware of Larsson than IKEA in 96 and everyone knows the ABBA drummer was Ola Brunkert, don’t they? 

Danilo may prove to be good for Rangers, none of us are sitting here with a crystal ball, but I only asked AJF what excites him about the player assuming he has watched some footage and researched the player a little, as his goal record on paper is pretty average. It was a fair question to which AJF provided a fair answer to and you somehow seem to have gotten your knickers in a twist about.

I definitely hadn't heard of Larsson until he signed for celtic though I had heard of IKEA.