Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2024/25

5 minutes ago, Forest of Dean said:

John McGovern. Obviously had some great achievements but fits both the criteria I mentioned.

Frank McLintock never played or managed in Scotland and only had 9 caps.

Their inclusion is debateable but the difference there is that they are both Scottish and thus exports of Scotland.  Their contribution to Scottish football is considered an indirect one in that they represented Scotland through their career, despite not directly playing for the national side or a club side.

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

Their inclusion is debateable but the difference there is that they are both Scottish and thus exports of Scotland.  Their contribution to Scottish football is considered an indirect one in that they represented Scotland through their career, despite not directly playing for the national side or a club side.

I don't think it's debateable for McGovern as his achievements speak for themselves and he is Scottish. It's undeniable though that in terms of talking about "Scottish football" in the sense of the league or the national team that Gascoigne contributed more along with a number of non-Scottish players. 

6 minutes ago, Forest of Dean said:

I don't think it's debateable for McGovern as his achievements speak for themselves and he is Scottish. It's undeniable though that in terms of talking about "Scottish football" in the sense of the league or the national team that Gascoigne contributed more along with a number of non-Scottish players. 

They're not comparable though.

Gascoigne was a supremely talented Englishman who dipped his toes into Scottish football for a couple of years, McGovern is a Scot who had an excellent career.  Whether or not that career was had in Scotland is irrelevant due to the fact he was Scottish.

The SFA continue to plumb new depths in their 'custodianship' of our game.

The way this has been handled has been utterly disgraceful. I don't particularly think that Gazza should ever have been nominated but to use the man's health as justification for removing the offer, a man who has had well publicised struggles with addiction and depression, is fucking despicable.

Yet again, it's another PR shambles of their own making - from Maxwell's insensitivity over the historic abuse to the semi-final fiasco to this, it's just a complete and utter dereliction of duty. And they're held to account to absolutely nobody.

It's supposed to be a professionally run organisation but it's operated like a ten bob junior committee.

An embarrassing bunch of charlatans. 

3 minutes ago, Armand 2 said:

The SFA continue to plumb new depths in their 'custodianship' of our game.

The way this has been handled has been utterly disgraceful. I don't particularly think that Gazza should ever have been nominated but to use the man's health as justification for removing the offer, a man who has had well publicised struggles with addiction and depression, is fucking despicable.

Yet again, it's another PR shambles of their own making - from Maxwell's insensitivity over the historic abuse to the semi-final fiasco to this, it's just a complete and utter dereliction of duty. And they're held to account to absolutely nobody.

It's supposed to be a professionally run organisation but it's operated like a ten bob junior committee.

An embarrassing bunch of charlatans. 

Yep bang on.

Edited by Forest of Dean

2 hours ago, quickoverayard said:
2 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:
Words fail me

Afraid these lot give the rest of the old firm fans who arent bigoted a bad name. We aren't all like this lot.

You’re trying way too hard.

Even a thick ,biased twat like me knows how to spell ‘divide’

Go read any of the Rangers match threads in the Euro section. See how many of the Jacobites were cheering us on. 

4 hours ago, quickoverayard said:

Im a rangers fan

I honestly get why people hate him as he was an absolute b*****d off the park but seriously watch his life story, he was/is very troubled.

Firstly. No you’re not.

Secondly you know nothing about Gascoigne off the park! I lived in the same village as Gazza when he was at Rangers and a more popular person in the community you could not find. He was generous to a fault with local charities, local boys clubs, Howwood fishery etc etc etc 

Of course he has made mistakes and he and those closest to him have suffered terribly due to his mental health and alcoholism 

I am not convinced any non Scot should be in the SFA HoF and not one who played for such a short period of time up here. That’s no longer the point though. It could be argued he is being discriminated against because of his mental health issues and nobody can argue in favour of that

Firstly. No you’re not.
Secondly you know nothing about Gascoigne off the park! I lived in the same village as Gazza when he was at Rangers and a more popular person in the community you could not find. He was generous to a fault with local charities, local boys clubs, Howwood fishery etc etc etc 
Of course he has made mistakes and he and those closest to him have suffered terribly due to his mental health and alcoholism 
I am not convinced any non Scot should be in the SFA HoF and not one who played for such a short period of time up here. That’s no longer the point though. It could be argued he is being discriminated against because of his mental health issues and nobody can argue in favour of that
Firstly yes i am, i was a season ticket holder with my old man, sister and grandad until i played football at a good level and had to give it up. Secondly i never claimed to be gazzas pal however i did present him and laudrup an award lol. I think you'll find i was understanding of his mental health issues, which by the way my mum is a mental health nurse in Edinburgh so ill know more about that than you. So get off your highhorse!!!

Firstly. No you’re not.
You'll find i was defending him.

The SFA have to be the association equivalent of Frank Spencer, this whole episode shows Scottish football in a terrible light.  Paul's various problems are well known, it's not as if they were just suddenly made aware of his history.

Using his health problems as an excuse is shambolic even for them. It's coming across as if they set out to humiliate him from the start.

33 minutes ago, quickoverayard said:
43 minutes ago, BobWilliamson said:
Firstly. No you’re not.

my mum is a mental health nurse in Edinburgh so ill know more about that than you. So get off your highhorse!!!

I laughed out loud at this. How old are you???

The SFA employ Malky McKay Ffs 

They used a racist to model their new strip 

There is nothing more that needs to be said than that.

Anyway I’m taking back earlier post about 50/50 splits after missing out on one in the ballot!! Gutted!!!

Why can't the people in charge of our game do anything right?

Gazza should be nowhere near the hall of fame, there are plenty of more deserving non Scottish players who have made a bigger impact on Scottish football. I have no idea how they could ever come up with this nomination.

However, once the decision is made they need to stand by it. They made the decision with the knowledge of his personal issues so to then use his mental health as the reason for the withdrawal is disgusting. Every last one of them should be sacked on the spot for this shambles.

I also think everyone should be mindful here that a person with bipolar disorder and alcohol addiction has been publicly embarrassed for no reason. Yes, he has made mistakes in his life but he seems to have been doing better over the last year. An award like this could have given him a real boost in his recovery, something to be really proud of. Instead they've offered him it and taken it away supposedly due to the things he is trying to recover from. I seriously hope this doesn't cause him to fall apart, that's the real issue here, not Rangers and Celtic fans fighting over which of their players deserves it more.

6 hours ago, Desp said:

There is no question of his ability as a football player, but if it's based on his contribution to Scottish Football?  What exactly did he do here in his two and a bit seasons?

Won a couple of leagues and cups, at a time when they were outspending every other team in the country by miles, yet done hee-haw in Europe.  He achieved no more than Moussa Dembele in the same amount of time. 

I have sympathy for him in the way this whole episode has been handled (would he have to have accepted this before it went public?).  The SFA, once again, make a mockery of the game up here.  However, I personally don't think he's deserving of a place in the Scottish Football Hall of Fame (based on his contribution, or lack there of, to the game in his time here).

Spot on.

He wasn't Scottish and he wasn't here long.

I do actually agree with those pointing to his ability.  He really was supremely talented, but underachieved due to his flaws.  He did well up here, but winning trophies with that side was a given.  However, he largely failed on the European stage he was brought here for.  Latching onto him in this way is needily demeaning for our game.

He shouldn't be in, even before we consider his failings.

Of course, the handling of it once more appears ridiculous.  The correct decision has been arrived at though, which is better than the alternative.