The Official Dundee United 2016-17 Thread

[emoji38]. There's an Arab over on the Falkirk thread whose trolling is just as bad; it must be an epidemic!
You seem to be keeping a low profile these days Spudster, with pish like this it's maybe just as well.
There's more chance of Dundee winning the Scottish Cup than of us going bust.

And epidemic..? .. two people constitutes an EPIDEMIC?

mmm ?

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have played poorly most of this season, even during our long unbeaten run we were rarely brilliant.  I said then that we would pay the price for this eventually and that's exactly what's happening.

I won't be surprised if we finish fourth this season, the players look disinterested and the manager is making bad decisions.

As a season ticket holder of many, many years I will tolerate another season in this league, there are many fans who won't.  If we don't improve the squad significantly in the summer then revenues will be badly hit as folk vote with their feet.

9 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

We have played poorly most of this season, even during our long unbeaten run we were rarely brilliant.  I said then that we would pay the price for this eventually and that's exactly what's happening.

I won't be surprised if we finish fourth this season, the players look disinterested and the manager is making bad decisions.

As a season ticket holder of many, many years I will tolerate another season in this league, there are many fans who won't.  If we don't improve the squad significantly in the summer then revenues will be badly hit as folk vote with their feet.

^^^ fairweather fan found

Guest DAVIDB69

Feel yesterday the title went down the toilet . More annoying for me my pre season accumulator, Chelsea, Brighton, Plymouth and united for the leagues. United could cost me 12 grand. Bad feeling I am going to get three out of four right

Feel yesterday the title went down the toilet . More annoying for me my pre season accumulator, Chelsea, Brighton, Plymouth and united for the leagues. United could cost me 12 grand. Bad feeling I am going to get three out of four right

You could always cash out at £3.78

1 hour ago, UnitedLoon63 said:

Until we get rid of the remains of players from last seasons disaster we won't be going anywhere. They players keep on letting us down

Whatever happens this season, next season's squad will look very different. There aren't a lot of players for the current squad I would keep, especially if we somehow contrive to get ourselves promoted.

19 minutes ago, FifeArab said:

Only players I'd keep for next season:

Bell
Edge
Durnan
Robson
Andreu (no chance though)
Fraser
Telfer

Out:
VDS
Dixon
Donaldson
VDV
Murdoch
Flood
Mikkelson
Spittal
Dillon
Toshney

I think VdS is a reasonable right back; don't know if we'd get anything better on the wages we'd be paying.  I'd have to say the same about Toshney on the basis that he would only play in defensive midfield.

I agree about keeping Fraser but by Christ he needs to man up.

1 hour ago, FifeArab said:

Bell
Edge
Durnan
Robson
Fraser
Telfer

Out:
VDS
Dixon
Donaldson
VDV
Murdoch
Flood
Mikkelson
Spittal
Dillon
Toshney

I broadly agree, although I would maybe keep VDS. I am not 100% sure which of our players are under contract for next year, as you have to assume they'll still be here stinking the place out given that nobody else is likely to want them.

Player recruitment is going to be absolutely vital for us this summer. At the start of this season Hibs decided fuck it we're going up this year and spent big on having a squad and management team in place to achieve this. This has to be the type of approach we take next season as if we don't bring in the right quality to get back into the top flight next season I think attendances will take a significant hit.

On 4 January 2017 at 17:56, stumigoo said:

I've noticed that the papers have us trying to negotiate a new deal for The Edge for beyond the summer (which is a good idea). I know it is early (and we don't know our budgets for next season) but in terms of contracts and extensions, these are the players who's deals end in the summer...

Van der Struijk

Van der Velden

Flood

Murdoch

Spittal

Dixon

Telfer

Murray

Zwick

Dillon

Obadeyi

In my opinion...

Van der Struijk - Offer a new deal. When fit he is the best fullback we have and I have been really impressed with him.

Van der Velden - Release. He flatters to deceive and hasn't performed at all in the last couple of months. Plus he is 35.

Flood - Offer a new deal. I don't think it will take too much for him to stay and I think he could still very much play another year at least.

Murdoch - Not sure. He has been unlucky with injury and Mckinnon rates him but we haven't seen enough yet.

Spittal - Release. Sorry pal but you have regressed instead of developed.

Dixon - Release. We have Robson coming through and can easily pick up another young fullback as cover.

Telfer - Offer a new deal. Never thought I would say this but his form recently has been pretty good and he has shown himself to be competent enough at this level.

Murray - Offer a new deal. I still think there is something else to see from Murray and another year or so might help develop him even further.

Zwick - Release. Time for him to move on just for the fact that he has sat on the bench for ages and has never shown any real signs of progress.

Dillon - Offer a non-playing deal. I'm not sure what Dillon's plans are for playing but he has been doing his badges and already has shown he wants to coach. Maybe give him a role alongside Bowman with the Development Squad.

Obadeyi - Release. Too inconsistent and hasn't shown enough so far. Still has the illusion of being quite a good impact player so I wonder if McKinnon might want to give him a new deal.

Thoughts?

These are the players who are out of contract in the summer )obviously Tope has already left). 

I'd still stick with what I said previously.

Bell
Edge
Durnan
Robson
Fraser
Telfer

Out:
VDS
Dixon
Donaldson
VDV
Murdoch
Flood
Mikkelson
Spittal
Dillon
Toshney

Would Agree with all this other than would keep Flood, as he's decent enough for this level. Murray I would keep as well!

As far as I remember, Donaldson has a contract until May 2018, and Toshney 2019.

Telfer and Edge are both out of contract at the end of this season.  So clearly that has an effect on our squad next season.

Toshney will be here next season, Donaldson I feel will definitely be gone as long as we can come to an agreement to release him from his contract.

The Edge I really hope stays but have my doubts, with his family staying in England he may want to move back down nearer to them and as well dunno if he'd played down this level another season since he can clearly play at higher level.

Archived