The Official Dundee United 2016-17 Thread

Just to move the discussion in a different direction, I think the issue ST has is around "transparency".- not his ability or not  to make himself invisible at will ( god knows how much trouble his alter ego, TBS would get him into ) but the modern trend for people to know exactly how institutions work/ make decisions/ are influenced and of course make and spend their money. It's no bad thing, God knows you'd end up like Hearts otherwise, but  I think the expections around this from him ( leave me alone a let me get on with it) and some fans ( tell us how you're spending " our" money you basturd) are why we get theses spats from time to time.  

Im broadly understanding of his  position but maybe a little more transparency would help him in the long run? 

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never been a fan of Thompson particularly. 

Too whiny for my liking. Quite happy to complain about the strain the club have put on his inheritance family but then clams up and gets all defensive when folk want to continue the conversation. I've always been of a mind that it's his business so it's his business. If it's going well, crack on, you don't need to answer to me, but equally don't come crying when things aren't going so well. Broadly, I expect he should be looking to break even as far as possible so as not to jeopardise the club and if he wants to exhibit largesse that's fine but don't expect sympathy if you don't get your money back.

One of the things that has pissed me off about Thompson is that he went from a guy who always wanted to be quoted in the media to someone who seems very reluctant to be; it was from one extreme to another.

Whilst the 'it's his business and he can do what he wants' argument is factually correct, there are IMO obligations that go beyond a normal business.  Fans who are loyal to a club deserve to be treated as a bit more than simply 'customers'.

Another argument against a merger is, would you want to lose your team and its history for a new team that might win something?

We'll turn into a football equivalent of New Labour - no principles but might win a bit more.

Mind you, I can think of one Premiership team with no history, and they still pull in the crowds

Archived