The Official Dundee United 2016-17 Thread

McKinnon has had such an easy time of it from United fans. Surprised to not have seen any murmurings of discontent aimed at him. Seems a bit misdirected towards Thompson. He's made a complete arse of it.

Very real chance that by the end of the day tomorrow they'll be sitting 4th.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

McKinnon has had such an easy time of it from United fans. Surprised to not have seen any murmurings of discontent aimed at him. Seems a bit misdirected towards Thompson. He's made a complete arse of it.

Very real chance that by the end of the day tomorrow they'll be sitting 4th.

There have been criticisms of McKinnon, with the most common being his failure to sign a second striker or change system, his failure to try and play two strikers, his man crush on Toshney and regular baffling substitutions.

If our collapse continues to the end of the season he will be in for a lot more stick but Thompson's acting as a deflector for now.

Dundee United clearly have the second largest budget in this division, but it's not at all clear that they have a top two side, or squad.

Take out Andreu, who has likely chucked it now that Neil has been sacked at his parent club Norwich, and you're left with nothing impressive at all in their outfield positions. Flood was quality in previous seasons of course, but he's way over the hill now. McKinnon clearly spunked his budget on dross like van der Velden and "The Edge" to improve their gubbins squad, while still relying on seaside league diddies like Murray and Fraser in their first team.

3 minutes ago, virginton said:

Dundee United clearly have the second largest budget in this division, but it's not at all clear that they have a top two side, or squad.

Take out Andreu, who has likely chucked it now that Neil has been sacked at his parent club Norwich, and you're left with nothing impressive at all in their outfield positions. Flood was quality in previous seasons of course, but he's way over the hill now. McKinnon clearly spunked his budget on dross like van der Velden and "The Edge" to improve their gubbins squad, while still relying on seaside league diddies like Murray and Fraser in their first team.

Take out Cummings and Hibs are not all that great.

They do have comfortably one of the best midfields in Scotland tbf. They're not great but the likes of McGinn, Shinnie (Although he's been a disappointment at Hibs) and Fyvie shouldn't be plying their trade in this division.

There's not one United player I can say that about. Maybe Cammy Bell?

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

They do have comfortably one of the best midfields in Scotland tbf. They're not great but the likes of McGinn, Shinnie (Although he's been a disappointment at Hibs) and Fyvie shouldn't be plying their trade in this division.

And don't forget the sublime... ehrm... aye OK.

I can think of a few of our players who shouldn't be plying their trade in this division, but probably not in the way you mean.

Hibs are good all over the park and have plenty in reserve too. Holt and Graham are pretty poor imo but other than that they're very very dece. Would not be shocked to see them beat Aberdeen in a few weeks.

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

We also have a settle, balanced and experienced defence. 

United are going to have to build a whole squad, it's pretty lazy to say we aren't good apart from Cummings. We're a decent team with room for improvement. 

United arent anywhere near having a good team. 

Just now, The Grass Is Greener. said:

We also have a settle, balanced and experienced defence. 

United are going to have to build a whole squad, it's pretty lazy to say we aren't good apart from Cummings. We're a decent team with room for improvement. 

United arent anywhere near having a good team. 

Fair enough.  I'm a wee bit sore.

I can't imagine anyone coming down from the top league next season that's anywhere near Hibs' level.  Next season is going to be much more competitive with no runaway winner. Unless Sevco go into admin/liquidation, of course.

2 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Hibs are good all over the park and have plenty in reserve too. Holt and Graham are pretty poor imo but other than that they're very very dece. Would not be shocked to see them beat Aberdeen in a few weeks.

While Holt isn't the best he's a good partner for Cummings, it's no surprise he's improved this season playing with him. He drags CBs all over the place making more room for Cummings to play in. 

We'll need better next season though.

Not sure why you're comparing yourselves with Hibs right now tbh: you've ended up with a bog standard, Championship team IMHO. I'd definitely take Bell and probably still Dixon from your team into ours. Maybe Flood as well, but he can't cover the ground of our current central midfielders so it would be a gamble. That's it though.

Your forward line is genuinely of seaside league standard and "The Edge" is an omnishambles at the back. Midtable Championship mediocrity is the level of your squad.

3 minutes ago, The Grass Is Greener. said:

While Holt isn't the best he's a good partner for Cummings, it's no surprise he's improved this season playing with him. He drags CBs all over the place making more room for Cummings to play in. 

We'll need better next season though.

I'm not so sure.  The current squad should see you into the top-six next season.

Not sure why you're comparing yourselves with Hibs right now tbh: you've ended up with a bog standard, Championship team IMHO. I'd definitely take Bell and probably still Dixon from your team into ours. Maybe Flood as well, but he can't cover the ground of our current central midfielders so it would be a gamble. That's it though.

Your forward line is genuinely of seaside league standard and "The Edge" is an omnishambles at the back. Midtable Championship mediocrity is the level of your squad.

Dixon? Bloody hell, your left back must be fucking stinking if Dixon would be an upgrade

6 minutes ago, The DA said:

I'm not so sure.  The current squad should see you into the top-six next season.

My elder son said the same thing at the game tonight.  Hibs' squad is better than most in the Premiership whereas ours is nowhere near Premiership quality.

Mark Russell isn't a bad left back but he lacks experience. As shown when he basically cost us the game at East End Park in December by attempting an obvious passback, five minutes after we conceded from another obvious passback, that got intercepted and led to the clinching goal for them. A few wild penalties cost as well.

Dixon on the other hand would manage just fine under the current Duffyball regime. That's about it from your outfield players though.

Archived