The Official Dundee United 2016-17 Thread

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our relegation last season was totally justified.  We didn't deserve to stay up given how bad we were throughout the season.

Our failure to get promoted this season will be equally deserved.  We have been awful, even when we were scrapping results.

An extended period in this league is quite possible, a sad state of affairs but one that is a reflection of where we are at as a club.

So I hear Owen Coyle is available and keen on the job
:lol::lol::lol:

[emoji20][emoji20][emoji20]

Whether this is meant to be taken seriously or not, I don't want us to sack anymore managers or make any more rash big money signings.

I'd rather have a shite club than no club.

Like it or not we have to ride this one out and attempt to rebuild using very limited resources.

But where does it end? 6 points from 8 games. That's relegation form. Even on our good run the football was shite.

The shite management spent relatively big money on shite. 

It's time for him to go. Get someone else in who can motivate a team and pick a decent player.

8 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

But where does it end? 6 points from 8 games. That's relegation form. Even on our good run the football was shite.

The shite management spent relatively big money on shite. 

It's time for him to go. Get someone else in who can motivate a team and pick a decent player.

Unless things change drastically over the next couple of weeks, and I don't think that they will, there is going to be a lot of discussion on the way forward for the club both on social media and IRL.  Much of that will centre around the role of the manager.  I hope amongst Arabs we can have a sensible debate and ignore the fringe lunatics, but the worst things get at a club the more the fringe elements are likely to attract support.

Our first team squad comprises 19 players - the squad last night less Coote - plus Toshney, Spittal and Donaldson and Van der Strijk.  Ray was responsible for signing ten of these players.  He also signed two further players (one on loan) who have subsequently left.

The purpose of this post is not to compare godd and bad signings, we have done that previously.  The purpose is to emphasise the point that this is a squad largely shaped by McKinnon since his appointment.  If we are not playing well he has to shoulder a large part of the blame.  Whatever happens we have a huge number of players out of contract in the summer; is McKinnon the right guy to identify new players and rebuild the squad?

24 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Unless things change drastically over the next couple of weeks, and I don't think that they will, there is going to be a lot of discussion on the way forward for the club both on social media and IRL.  Much of that will centre around the role of the manager.  I hope amongst Arabs we can have a sensible debate and ignore the fringe lunatics, but the worst things get at a club the more the fringe elements are likely to attract support.

Our first team squad comprises 19 players - the squad last night less Coote - plus Toshney, Spittal and Donaldson and Van der Strijk.  Ray was responsible for signing ten of these players.  He also signed two further players (one on loan) who have subsequently left.

The purpose of this post is not to compare godd and bad signings, we have done that previously.  The purpose is to emphasise the point that this is a squad largely shaped by McKinnon since his appointment.  If we are not playing well he has to shoulder a large part of the blame.  Whatever happens we have a huge number of players out of contract in the summer; is McKinnon the right guy to identify new players and rebuild the squad?

No. 

Track record says no anyway.

11 minutes ago, Rugster said:

How long will TBS give McKinnon? Can you afford (in a financial and continuity sense) to keep changing managers?

Can we afford not to?  Our existing problems stem from McNamara being kept on when he should have been punted at the end of the 2015/16 season.  The impact of that decision resulted in us bringing in another manager who wasted huge amounts of money on emergency type players in an attempt to bolster McNamara's pitiful squad.  Had we replaced McNamara when we should have we would have had a wider choice of managers and not been in a situation where we were bringing in someone to deal with a crisis.

Just now, Granny Danger said:

Can we afford not to?  Our existing problems stem from McNamara being kept on when he should have been punted at the end of the 2015/16 season.  The impact of that decision resulted in us bringing in another manager who wasted huge amounts of money on emergency type players in an attempt to bolster McNamara's pitiful squad.  Had we replaced McNamara when we should have we would have had a wider choice of managers and not been in a situation where we were bringing in someone to deal with a crisis.

Hanging onto McNamara for as long as you did from an outsiders point of view was absolute lunacy, I can only imagine how bad it must have been for a DU supporter seeing what he was getting away with!

Would you take Yogi?

Archived