The Official Dundee United 2016-17 Thread

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On last night, the three behind Murray were mediocre, Obadeyi was good in periods, but faded badly and Fraser really, really doesn't look like he's going to make it at any decent level. Did he have an assist or score any goals last season? Spittal in particular was fucking mince.

Cammy Smith looked very handy, and together with Obadeyi, Coote and Johnson at least offers some desperately needed pace.

Murray can't be our choice striker at the head of a 4-2-3-1, but still useful to have. With proper options there I think we'll score plenty.

Donaldson looked bombscarey all night.

Eventual pass marks for Dixon. Toshney must be being played at RB until his nose recovers, then he's surely to CB. Murdoch looked tidy enough. Telfer, who knows.

21 minutes ago, bobbycoxblue said:

The self acclaimed world famous...giving it large after a 1-1 draw against European giants Arbroath.. emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

I'm embarrassed for you all ..

1468669032513.jpg

Between that and the pitch invasion at Airdrie...

26 minutes ago, bobbycoxblue said:

The self acclaimed world famous...giving it large after a 1-1 draw against European giants Arbroath.. emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

I'm embarrassed for you all ..

1468669032513.jpg

I'm more embarrassed at someone not being able to rotate a picture properly. Poor stuff.

17 minutes ago, CodenameDuchess said:

Nick Van Der Velden linked with us by a couple of Dutch sports tweets.

According to a couple of tweets we have actually signed him on a one-year deal.

4 minutes ago, banana said:

34 year old 6ft2 attacking midfield maestro, by the looks of things.

Seems likely the 'exceptional footballer' Ray was on about...?

The fact that he isn't an out and out striker maybe suggests we might end up keeping Anier after all (or at least until we find a replacement for him). We need competition in that midfield three anyway, keeps Spittal and Fraser on their toes (I get the feeling that those two in particular take their places for granted now).

Think van der Velden is a good signing for you guys. He is getting on in years, but he's a marathon man still and has a brilliant work ethic.Will have some adapting to do to the Scottish game, but he has always been reliable in the top tier here.

He told Dutch media that his eldest daughter is going to school after next season, hence the one year deal. Also, his agent received an offer from Kilmarnock as well (but the club didn't 'feel right' to van der Velden) and from third tier clubs in Spain. Suppose  your club officials did their best to draw him in.

8 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

He probably watched our cup heroics from last night and thought "that's the club for me".

If he was watching it on BT sport he would have seen the bit about us having a 100% record against Barcelona in competitive matches.  That would be a huge draw - as was last night's result.

Archived