ABE

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The days of a conventional match highlights programme may well be numbered anyway as match highlights become available online arguing about which league gets what airtime where becomes less and less relevant.

Because the BBC put the Scottish highlights on their website I've not had to watch Sportscene at all. The only downside is that I can't join in on threads here about what a muppet pundit X is.

Similarly when Holyrood was first set up the SNP were lobbying noisily for a "Scottish Six" an alternative to the London produced 6 o'clock news. Whether they were right or wrong in looking for that is another question but in a world of 24 hour rolling news, Iplayer and Video on demand it seems an almost quaint thing to have got bothered about.

The days of a conventional match highlights programme may well be numbered anyway as match highlights become available online arguing about which league gets what airtime where becomes less and less relevant.

Because the BBC put the Scottish highlights on their website I've not had to watch Sportscene at all. The only downside is that I can't join in on threads here about what a muppet pundit X is.

Similarly when Holyrood was first set up the SNP were lobbying noisily for a "Scottish Six" an alternative to the London produced 6 o'clock news. Whether they were right or wrong in looking for that is another question but in a world of 24 hour rolling news, Iplayer and Video on demand it seems an almost quaint thing to have got bothered about.

A Scottish 6 is still on the agenda and it has nothing to do with the time of day it is about offering a Scottish perspective on international stories.

In the same way  Scotland should have their own coverage of major international tournaments whether they are there or not. There are angles that are of specific interest to Scottish football fans with relevance to the league here and best of all we wouldnt have wall to wall coverage of a rival team.

I listened to Sportsounds coverage of the Euros so far yesterday and it was excellent.

Its not just about us either, some of the coverage of Wales on ITV has been bizarre, as if they are another foreign country with reference to England.

A Scottish 6 is still on the agenda and it has nothing to do with the time of day it is about offering a Scottish perspective on international stories.

In the same way  Scotland should have their own coverage of major international tournaments whether they are there or not. There are angles that are of specific interest to Scottish football fans with relevance to the league here and best of all we wouldnt have wall to wall coverage of a rival team.

I listened to Sportsounds coverage of the Euros so far yesterday and it was excellent.

Its not just about us either, some of the coverage of Wales on ITV has been bizarre, as if they are another foreign country with reference to England.

A scottish six sounds utter shite

Not particularly fussed about England this year as don't think they have a chance but it did rile me a bit that they couldn't help but put a section into half time of Wales match about England.

I can understand this maybe for Switzerland v Albania or the like but Wales should be entitles to have their domestic broadcaster focus on them for the 2 hours they are playing in a major tournament.

Whether you like it or not, the Scottish national team and domestic football are given a percentage of airtime and column inches in national media proportionate to their relatively small following in Britain as a whole.

But not £s.

Go into any bar in Glasgow/ Edinburgh/Dundee etc on a Saturday afternoon, and you'll see groups of lads sat with a beer and a fistful of betting slips watching the scores come in on SSN for their accumulators. Most of em will include English games. There's a huge interest in the game down south whether you like it or not Willie.

Odds are they'll be watching the saturday evening epl game at the same time.

Go into any bar in Glasgow/ Edinburgh/Dundee etc on a Saturday afternoon, and you'll see groups of lads sat with a beer and a fistful of betting slips watching the scores come in on SSN for their accumulators. Most of em will include English games. There's a huge interest in the game down south whether you like it or not Willie.

Lads with fistfuls of betting slips?

Do you drink exclusively in 1970s theme pubs?

Lads with fistfuls of betting slips?

Do you drink exclusively in 1970s theme pubs?

Come to think of it, Aye, I probably do lol😀 Cannae beat ticking em off on a good old fashioned bookies line, not quite the same scrolling through a betting app on yer phone!😉

Archived