ABE

And that is a presumption on your part. In my experience of living in both countries it is the case that they really don't think much about us.

No it's not. I have family living in England too. You think we care about them? The only time it ever really gets discussed is in regards to politics and football. Other than that nobody gives a f**k.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I assume you are equally bealing when the BBC posts stories regarding Scotland on the main sports page for all to see?

I've read and heard plenty of coverage on Scotland's failure to qualify from national outlets over the last couple of days despite them being perennial failures and a complete irrelevance to Euro 2016.

Whether you like it or not, the Scottish national team and domestic football are given a percentage of airtime and column inches in national media proportionate to their relatively small following in Britain as a whole.

I know this doesnt fit with your view that Scotland is somehow oppressed by her Anglian overlords. For every Scotland fan who just see the English Football Team as some kind of pantomime villain there's a seething faux freedom fighter like you, it's a wonder the English don't actually fucking hate us.

When I switch on the telly it says "This is BBC Scotland", it disnae say BBC England or BBC Wales.

Why do you accept 'proportionate to their relatively small following in Britain as a whole' as a guide line for showing Scottish sport in Scotland?

Is there any other country outwith this scepter'd isle which shows the same deference to another countries sport at the expense of its own?

That is why I'm a follower of ABE as a get it up ye tae the British/English media.

When I switch on the telly it says "This is BBC Scotland", it disnae say BBC England or BBC Wales.

Why do you accept 'proportionate to their relatively small following in Britain as a whole' as a guide line for showing Scottish sport in Scotland?

Is there any other country outwith this scepter'd isle which shows the same deference to another countries sport at the expense of its own?

That is why I'm a follower of ABE as a get it up ye tae the British/English media.

Aye true, BBC Scotland could have stuck something on in it's place. What would you suggest? The last 8 of the Cumbernauld and district lawn bowls? Bet there will be some cracking match ups in the Crown Tavern dominos league this evening.

I wonder if viewers of BBC Yorkshire are gushing about the showing of the NI v Poland game, complete with Northern Irish commentator, at the expense of the Helmsley Badminton Club over 40's Sunday doubles? Nah, they're probably just enjoying the football like most other c***s of sound mind.

It is technically possible to have alternate commentary on the red button.

The BBC have done this on their 6 nations coverage in the past. I remember being so pissed off with the regular commentary ("clearly that try should have been disallowed but it wasn't so who cares? Come on England!") that I swapped over to the audio from BBC Radio Ulster (who spent most of the game bitching about the Dubliner who was keeping Ulster's number 10 out of the Ireland side)

Always having a dedicated option for fans of ABE may be a little too much to ask but surely they can give us the option of the BBC Wales feed

It is technically possible to have alternate commentary on the red button.

The BBC have done this on their 6 nations coverage in the past. I remember being so pissed off with the regular commentary ("clearly that try should have been disallowed but it wasn't so who cares? Come on England!") that I swapped over to the audio from BBC Radio Ulster (who spent most of the game bitching about the Dubliner who was keeping Ulster's number 10 out of the Ireland side)

Always having a dedicated option for fans of ABE may be a little too much to ask but surely they can give us the option of the BBC Wales feed

The coverage of the Wales game on 5 live was provided by BBC radio Wales. It was mostly John Hartson shouting at the referee.

Aye true, BBC Scotland could have stuck something on in it's place. What would you suggest? The last 8 of the Cumbernauld and district lawn bowls? Bet there will be some cracking match ups in the Crown Tavern dominos league this evening.

I wonder if viewers of BBC Yorkshire are gushing about the showing of the NI v Poland game, complete with Northern Irish commentator, at the expense of the Helmsley Badminton Club over 40's Sunday doubles? Nah, they're probably just enjoying the football like most other c***s of sound mind.

Are you deliberately obtuse?

The title of this thread is ABE which covers mair than the Euros.

And you didnae answer my question

Nae doubt you're happy that Scottish TV shows on a Saturday night every f**king goal from the English leagues and also the English women's fitba' on a Friday night.

But hee haw regarding the Scottish game.

Is this a politics forum now?

Politics should be left at the door when it comes to football.

Our obsession with England is really quite worrying though.

I am more annoyed with the Gareth Bales love in. The sooner their bubble bursts the better.

One thing I have noticed over here when watching the games on Swiss or German TV is that the commentators do not constantly relate things to their own country. For example, I watched Wales v Slovakia on Swiss TV and the commentator and studio guests never once mentioned the Swiss side or provided any tenuous links to the Swiss league or Swiss players, but when I watched Croatia v Turkey yesterday on ITV they were linking everything to England wherever it was even slightly possible.

No problem.......You would think, the way some bang on, that our lives depended on seeing England fail, I have some seen some grown men froth at the mouth quite literally in some respects. The question is, who actually cares? I laugh as much as the next person when they fail but my life is not dependent on it nor is my happiness. I cannot stand their media or the bias as much as the next person either but as you get older you become ambivalent to it all and of course, if the games are on Tv there is a thing called the off switch or the mute button.........

Rivalry is healthy, they lose we laugh, we lose they laugh, that's how it should be but as I say, the way some bang on is its as if lives and livelihoods are at stake, end of the day its a game, pointless losing sleep over it.

No problem.......You would think, the way some bang on, that our lives depended on seeing England fail, I have some seen some grown men froth at the mouth quite literally in some respects. The question is, who actually cares? I laugh as much as the next person when they fail but my life is not dependent on it nor is my happiness. I cannot stand their media or the bias as much as the next person either but as you get older you become ambivalent to it all and of course, if the games are on Tv there is a thing called the off switch or the mute button.........

Rivalry is healthy, they lose we laugh, we lose they laugh, that's how it should be but as I say, the way some bang on is its as if lives and livelihoods are at stake, end of the day its a game, pointless losing sleep over it.

I agree with all of this apart from the bit where you said the way some bang on would make you think that their lives depended on seeing England fail. That part is a lot of shite. That's not the case at all and you'd be wrong to think that.

England sang about us at their opening Euro game Saturday night, is their happiness just determined over our failure to then instead of their success?

If so they're extremely lucky.

Nae doubt you're happy that Scottish TV shows on a Saturday night every f**king goal from the English leagues and also the English women's fitba' on a Friday night.

We do have our own highlights show on bbc Scotland aswell you know

The reason for that is that like it or not their is a keen interest in the game south of the border and the channel are just putting something which will attract viewers , bbc does a reasonable job of showing scottish sporting vents it's just that when it comes to league football sky and bt rules the roost and they are limited to what they can show

Rob have you ever watched BBC SCOTLAND and seen the slavering and sycophantic utterances of commentators regarding the England football team (and other English teams).

We get far, far more coverage of the English teams, men and women, than we do of our own teams.

It gets rammed down our throats this compulsion to hype up the English teams no matter what.

Rob, don't ye think the ABE thing is in retaliation to the media.

How else can we show our dislike of what is shown in Scotland by an impartial media?

I don't give a f**k about English (or any other supporters) but I do give a f**k about what is shown in the media in Scotland.

If all the shite that is written about South British teams were confined tae South Britain then I'm sure that there would be little need for ABE.

Like I said Willie, it doesn't matter a jot, I don't care who wins between England and Wales for example, just hope it's a good game, if I manage to catch it. Some of the English pundits/commentators are a wee bit annoying at times, but it's nothing to get all het up about surely? We've had one or two of our own down the years when it comes to Scottish sport no?

The ABE pish is a product of a self persecution complex that really shouldn't exist.

The reason for that is that like it or not there is a keen interest in the game south of the border and the channel are just putting something which will attract viewers

Like the Tennis at Wimbledon the Premier League is only English by virtue of being played in England. It is a Global brand with a Global Audience and pulls from a Global pool of talent.

In an independent Scotland it would still command attention just as it does in Ireland and Norway

Like the Tennis at Wimbledon the Premier League is only English by virtue of being played in England. It is a Global brand with a Global Audience and pulls from a Global pool of talent.

In an independent Scotland it would still command attention just as it does in Ireland and Norway

Exactly , still the image of willie howling at his tele on a Saturday night because that pesky motd and football league show is back on is humorous if nothing else

Go into any bar in Glasgow/ Edinburgh/Dundee etc on a Saturday afternoon, and you'll see groups of lads sat with a beer and a fistful of betting slips watching the scores come in on SSN for their accumulators. Most of em will include English games. There's a huge interest in the game down south whether you like it or not Willie.

Archived