Premier League 2016-2017

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He'll win games in the same way Vieira and Keane used to win games in their pomp. Its not as obvious as scoring a screamer, but controlling the midfield is vital.

I agree but usually the most expensive players are the match winners not destroyers. Makelele and Alonso were as vital as Zidane or Gerrard but never went for the same money.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

I agree but usually the most expensive players are the match winners not destroyers. Makelele and Alonso were as vital as Zidane or Gerrard but never went for the same money.

Pogba is nothing like any of those players, he's more complete and "all round" than three of them, obviously Zidane is a higher level but its a different financial world we live in now. 

£100m is too much, but considering EPL sides pay £30m for Benteke and £50m for Sterling/Stones, then it seems half understandable.

Pogba isn't a defensive midfielder / destroyer, and is far closer to Zidane in terms of style than Makele or Alonso. Gerrard wasn't transferred for any money during his career either.

Other than that, good point.

57 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

Pogba isn't a defensive midfielder / destroyer, and is far closer to Zidane in terms of style than Makele or Alonso. Gerrard wasn't transferred for any money during his career either.

Other than that, good point.

Paul Pogba = destroyer. What fucking lunacy is this?! Also he won plenty of games on his own for Juve, usually with absolute screamers in the last minute. One game for Man U and he's already being written off. :lol:

7 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Paul Pogba = destroyer. What fucking lunacy is this?! Also he won plenty of games on his own for Juve, usually with absolute screamers in the last minute. One game for Man U and he's already being written off. :lol:

Uhhh

2 hours ago, J_Stewart said:

Not hugely surprising. Their front two consists of a winger and a striker who's career best in the premier league is 10. Toothless against a half decent side.

ETA: for anyone who was previously wondering, the correct answers to the question "what duz Pogba even do? Lolz", is either "absolutely everything" or "whatever he fucking wants".

Boy is the definition of a "baller".

Pogba will obviously hugely improve the Man Utd team but the transfer fee was of course obscene. At the end of the day though a player is worth what someone wants to pay. What I find strange is how he was endlessly touted for a £75m move before the Euros, had a very average tournament, then was suddenly worth £100m. 

I still think it's a lot less ridiculous than £47m for John Stones. He seems to be individually at fault for a goal in almost every game he plays but makes up for it with the occasional stroll out from the back.

He's not capable of winning a game on his own like ronaldo or messi though is he really?

I don't think he's in the same class as them and they've paid £50m too much.

Competent and ambitious football clubs don't sign players for their ability to 'win games on their own', but do so in the hope they can perform to a consistently high standard over the course of a season for a title-challenging team.

Other than that, as well as setting his benchmark against the two best players ever for no reason, a solid Billy Brown out of 10 post.

On that viewing, Utd have bought very expensively but very wisely this summer. 

Ibrahimovic is exactly what they needed in the short term. A proper talisman who at 34 is still one of the very best in the world at what he does. 

Pogba is going to be at the heart of everything. He'll be every bit as important to Man Utd in the coming years as Yaya Toure was to City. A guy who is strong in both penalty areas. Some who can break up and create equally effectively. 

Bailly looks like the centre half they've needed since Ferdinand went. A big imposing monster of a guy who still looks raw in places. 

Mkhitaryan, I've not seen much of other than dribs and drabs with Dortmund where he always looked the part but then so did Shinji Kagawa who just didn't suit the English Premiership at all. 

On that viewing, Utd have bought very expensively but very wisely this summer. 

Ibrahimovic is exactly what they needed in the short term. A proper talisman who at 34 is still one of the very best in the world at what he does. 

Pogba is going to be at the heart of everything. He'll be every bit as important to Man Utd in the coming years as Yaya Toure was to City. A guy who is strong in both penalty areas. Some who can break up and create equally effectively. 

Bailly looks like the centre half they've needed since Ferdinand went. A big imposing monster of a guy who still looks raw in places. 

Mkhitaryan, I've not seen much of other than dribs and drabs with Dortmund where he always looked the part but then so did Shinji Kagawa who just didn't suit the English Premiership at all. 

Watched Dortmund and Mikhytarian (spelling all over the place no doubt) quite a lot and would say he's much better than Kagawa like. I think he'll break into the team at some point, I think he'd be great in Rooneys position.... Although he got a good assist last night for Ibra so might keep that going. Very good option to have though.

10 hours ago, Firhill Road said:

Competent and ambitious football clubs don't sign players for their ability to 'win games on their own', but do so in the hope they can perform to a consistently high standard over the course of a season for a title-challenging team.

Other than that, as well as setting his benchmark against the two best players ever for no reason, a solid Billy Brown out of 10 post.

Real Madrid are totally incompetent then.

Let's  judge pogba when he comes up against real class like Kante and Matic rather than Stephen Davies. He has the potential to be a great player and that's added on £50m.

Dont believe all the hype yet.

"hype". He's been an absolute standout for Juventus for years now, even in the CL. One poor Euros due to being used completely wrong shouldn't degrade all that.

You're verging on making a Weeper "Neymars a YouTube star and nothing more" Dee type arse of yourself

20 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Real Madrid are totally incompetent then.

Let's  judge pogba when he comes up against real class like Kante and Matic rather than Stephen Davies. He has the potential to be a great player and that's added on £50m.

Dont believe all the hype yet.

A Kante who the majority of people knew nothing over a year ago. Who compared to Pogba has achieved relatively nothing.

Pogba is well deserving of the hype around him, even if it's price tag has been inflated by the English tv deal. There's only a handful of midfielders in the world that match has level of current talent and most of them can't compete with his athleticism, never the fact he's still getting better.

Is he overpriced, yes.

Is he overrated, yes.

Does he have great potential, yes.

Did I say he was shit, no.

Do most of the people sticking up for him support man united, probably.

Could United have saved themselves £70m and bought Matic or Kante, perhaps.

Time will tell.

Is he overpriced, yes.

Is he overrated, yes.

Does he have great potential, yes.

Did I say he was shit, no.

Do most of the people sticking up for him support man united, probably.

Could United have saved themselves £70m and bought Matic or Kante, perhaps.

Time will tell.

Pogba is a completely different player to both of them though.

Pogba, aside from being a completely different player from Kante and Matic (who had a piss poor season last year whilst Pogba was winning another Serie A), is already better than both. It's a ludicrous claim.

I've said before, but if Pogba had been playing in the Premier League or La Liga the last four years, not a single person would be questioning this fee, but because Serie A doesn't get the same amount of coverage as the aforementioned two, people are ignorant to how good he actually is. The fact that this near heads gone case D.A.F.C thinks he's a destroyer is testament to that.

Yay...D.A.F.C.'s back! He's one of the three professional Man United haters on here that love nothing more than watching United so that they can hate them. It's second only to going on here and writing about how much they loath United and everything about them. He went missing for a while last season so good to have him back. Don't know where the other two roasters are, the Airdrie and non-league club supporter. Maybe they haven't been allowed out of their straight jackets yet. They really do work themselves up into an amazing frenzy about a club from another country and league system from their own. It's great stuff to read though. :thumsup2

Archived