Champions League 2016/17

lichtie23

I've got a soft spot for Leicester through my dad and his dad, so brilliant to see that last night.  

For once, the CL has actually generated some interest this season.  Monaco vs City was delightfully ridiculous, as was Barcelona vs PSG, and then last night.  Not a classic game, but Leicester turned up and Sevilla didn't.  They deserved to go through in the end, particularly after the absolute piss take of a penalty.  Fair enough if he got excited and blasted it wide or over or something, but to essentially pass it back to the keeper like that in such a key moment...fucking hell.

On a side not, is there anyone with a more punchable face in football than Samir Nasri?

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've got a soft spot for Leicester through my dad and his dad, so brilliant to see that last night.  
For once, the CL has actually generated some interest this season.  Monaco vs City was delightfully ridiculous, as was Barcelona vs PSG, and then last night.  Not a classic game, but Leicester turned up and Sevilla didn't.  They deserved to go through in the end, particularly after the absolute piss take of a penalty.  Fair enough if he got excited and blasted it wide or over or something, but to essentially pass it back to the keeper like that in such a key moment...fucking hell.
On a side not, is there anyone with a more punchable face in football than Samir Nasri?

James Vardy.

Great stuff from Leicester. Vardy is the kind of player you despise unless he plays for your team.
Claudi WHO? [emoji56] [emoji191] [emoji191] [emoji191] [emoji191]

3 hours ago, The OP said:

One of the 20 richest clubs in the world beat a club outside the top 30. What a fairytale story.

3 hours ago, accies1874 said:

What The OP is saying is 100% spot-on: Leicester had by far the biggest budget in their group, and they'll also have a much bigger budget than Sevilla. However it is always good seeing a new team going further in the Champions League. So often we see the same teams progress every single year and this year seems no different.

Money isn't always the best metric though. Leicester are in the richest league in the world, so their wage bill and any transfe fees are artificially inflated. Sevilla still have a more talented squad IMO. Also need to remember that they've got far more European pedigree (this was their first knockout defeat in 3 years). Whilst I agree with your point that this isn't some sort of David v Goliath, surely you can admit it was an upset of sorts.

Hate the way the pundits openly support English teams, yeah wanting them to win is fine but McManaman saying things like Man City needed to out score Monaco last week and they did and let's hope they do again tonight doesn't add anything and is just annoying as f**k.

Where was the talk about budgets when everyone was saying Leicester would get horsed? Nobody wanted to disagree with that, despite the budget talk, so anyone who chooses to come away with it now is being dishonest at best.

Archived