IRN-BRU Cup First Round Draw

Jaggy Snake

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Be interesting to see what sort of difference there is between the first teams and the u20's. I expect most of the u20's sides to take a fair beating, simply down to the experience and physical advantage that older players should have.

I'm not entirely against "Colt teams" being allowed to enter the league system but would definitely have a limit on how far they are allowed to rise. Would say that league 1 should be the absolute high point they are allowed to hit if it ever comes to it.

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

There's absolutely no desire for it? I'm afraid that's a pile of shite. Just 3 years ago the clubs of the SFL were asked to consider letting Rangers and Celtic fire B teams into the 4th tier, with both teams being up for the idea. The desire is there and if you don't think this is trial run then you're a bit of a moron.

It's a honking idea and it needs to fail. I can only hope that the U20 teams crash out of the competition with a several goal drubbing, all watched by the total attendance of 3 people and we can go back to having a sensible tournament for lower league clubs.

There is no particular desire for it though. Which is why it hasn't happened and nobody is suggesting it. The whole "won't somebody think of the children" mewling about Colt teams being a stepping stone for League acceptance reminds me a lot about the whole "we can't have a GB team at the Olympics or FIFA will make us have a single GB team in real football". It was tosh then and it's tosh now.

I quite like the idea of the 20's teams being in the Challenge Cup though I don't expect many to get far. I much prefer the 20's being in it to the Welsh and Irish, though I accept the foreign part of it is what's interesting new sponsors and tv.

30 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

There is no particular desire for it though. Which is why it hasn't happened and nobody is suggesting it. The whole "won't somebody think of the children" mewling about Colt teams being a stepping stone for League acceptance reminds me a lot about the whole "we can't have a GB team at the Olympics or FIFA will make us have a single GB team in real football". It was tosh then and it's tosh now.

I quite like the idea of the 20's teams being in the Challenge Cup though I don't expect many to get far. I much prefer the 20's being in it to the Welsh and Irish, though I accept the foreign part of it is what's interesting new sponsors and tv.

I don't agree there's no desire for it, the two biggest clubs are for the idea and I can see others in the top division following them. I don't agree that it's not a stepping stone, once everyone has accepted this is the norm it'll be "you don't have any problem with them in cup competitions". We'll see what happens but I'll be astounded if it doesn't rear its head again in regards to the league.

I don't agree there's no desire for it, the two biggest clubs are for the idea and I can see others in the top division following them. I don't agree that it's not a stepping stone, once everyone has accepted this is the norm it'll be "you don't have any problem with them in cup competitions". We'll see what happens but I'll be astounded if it doesn't rear its head again in regards to the league.

Never going to happen as lower league clubs would unanimously reject it.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Is he a 'moron' too for having a different opinion to you? 

6 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

On your first point, this whole forum is about football competitions. Of course people are going to take them seriously. By your logic we shouldn't care about any league games either as it's just football at the end of the day.

I've no issue with people disagreeing with the idea in principle, it's all about opinions at the end of the day. The point I was making was the level of seethe and the utter raging nonsense posted about it on here far outweighs any importance it has. 

Archived