IRN-BRU Cup First Round Draw

Jaggy Snake

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎22‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 18:22, Dunning1874 said:

Were Stirling Uni or East Stirling given a say in that? Surely the options for Rangers under 20s should be playing the tie on the scheduled date or forfeiting it if their opponents don't agree to it being moved? As far as I'm aware there's nothing in the rules of the cup competition allowing teams to postpone games for friendlies, as there is with the league?

Would Dumbarton, Morton, or Arbroath be allowed to call off games for Stirlingshire/Renfrewshire/Forfarshire cup ties? If not, why is it being allowed for a youth competition?

It is a strange one but the whole cup seems to have become a bit of a nonsense, tbh.

May have been mentioned above but I also see it's been confirmed that Celtic 'B' will play Annan at Greenock (live on TV :lol:) and Motherwell 'B' will host Edinburgh City at Airdrie. As you say in what other circumstances would a first-class cup-tie be delayed by 1 week due to the host club having gone away to play a friendly, resulting in the postponement of a league game. Plus the next round is just 6 days later: will this affect the seedings for the next round? Then again in what circumstances would you have 'B' teams in a first-class cup in the first place; in what circumstances them playing games miles or tens of miles from their grounds; etc. etc.

Stirling Albion are actually in a position to qualify from LC section, and it's been announced that LC R2 will be seeded, so the chances of the discussed clash have actually increased.

10 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Stirling Albion are actually in a position to qualify from LC section, and it's been announced that LC R2 will be seeded, so the chances of the discussed clash have actually increased.

We'll need to beat St Johnstone away on Saturday to qualify. Even a draw and a PK win would leave us 2nd and probably not one of the best 4 runners up, so it's an unlikely scenario. 

Prices have been announced for our cup tie with Hearts U-20s next week, and just like the Elgin game on Tuesday, it's a very reasonable £5 for adults. Club should be applauded for this. 

On 7/15/2016 at 09:13, Radford said:

Skyline Drifter said it will be strictly U20 players, the same as the Youth Cup, so only players born in 1997 or later will be eligible.

Is that right about 1997 onwards?  There will be a number of players born in 1996 who will still be 19 when the competition kicks off in August.  I would have thought that they could still qualify to play for an U20 side this season. (league or cup)

25 minutes ago, dee_62 said:

Is that right about 1997 onwards?  There will be a number of players born in 1996 who will still be 19 when the competition kicks off in August.  I would have thought that they could still qualify to play for an U20 side this season.

Certainly in league, I'm sure the cut-off date is the start of the relevant year. I remember seeing it on a teamsheet, maybe Hamilton's?

At Saints, all the 1996-born players are in the first team photo too, if that means anything. Suppose it could be slightly different in this competition?

What exactly is the issue with this? I've never actually heard anything about this, and I feel like I've just opened the door to a room containing the angriest people in Scotland.

Guest The Phoenix
14 minutes ago, Estragon said:

What exactly is the issue with this?

There isn't one aside from some fans being precious about their "big" team playing against another club's "wee" team.

It is what it is and protesting by (for example) not turning up only serves no constructive purpose.

We've cut admission to a bare minimum in order to encourage fans from both clubs to come along.

I'm looking forward to something different before we start our SPFL2 campaign. 

17 minutes ago, The Phoenix said:

There isn't one aside from some fans being precious about their "big" team playing against another club's "wee" team.

It is what it is and protesting by (for example) not turning up only serves no constructive purpose.

We've cut admission to a bare minimum in order to encourage fans from both clubs to come along.

I'm looking forward to something different before we start our SPFL2 campaign. 

It might serve the purpose of expressing dissatisfaction with the devaluing of the tournament, as well as expressing concern over this as the thin end of a wedge.

Guest The Phoenix
1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It might serve the purpose of expressing dissatisfaction with the devaluing of the tournament, as well as expressing concern over this as the thin end of a wedge.

Point taken but I'm not convinced.

I'm hoping our fans turn up at a fiver and enjoy the match for what it is. 

Looks like England have went down a similar route with their version of this cup, although without the Welsh and Irish teams.  Although 6 premiership teams have opted out of it and been replaced with Championship U21s

“Admission prices for Tuesday’s match v Kilmarnock U20s will be £12 for Adults & £6 for Concessions.

Due to the fact that pricing agreement couldn’t be reached between ourselves and Kilmarnock FC we had no alternative but to defer to competition minimum pricing rules.

Please note there will be no parent and child gate. We are sorry for any inconvenience caused but you will appreciate the matter is outwith our hands”

:lol: ffs!

Our match against Turriff is £8 for adults, £5 for concessions and free to U12s.

Seems a touch expensive for what it is.

31 minutes ago, Mick1867 said:

“Admission prices for Tuesday’s match v Kilmarnock U20s will be £12 for Adults & £6 for Concessions.

Due to the fact that pricing agreement couldn’t be reached between ourselves and Kilmarnock FC we had no alternative but to defer to competition minimum pricing rules.

Please note there will be no parent and child gate. We are sorry for any inconvenience caused but you will appreciate the matter is outwith our hands”

f**k sake all those students will have to go into their overdraft to afford that 

48 minutes ago, Mick1867 said:

I believe that Killie wanted the charge for adults to be £16. That's a double ffs.

I hope we hammer whoever we play, but there's no chance I'll be attending this demeaning pish. Not only are we lumbered with a set of teams whose fans have no interest in the tournament, but these clubs clearly want to charge ludicrous prices. The best way forward for this trophy is to make it either Championship or League One downwards with added sides from the juniors and non league and have it played on a regional basis until the latter stages. That way, you'll have sets of fans who actually have genuine interest in winning games and having a run in then tournament, with a wee dream of a wee bit of silverware. A simple case of the big boys enforcing unwanted change on the little guys and pissing all over a tournament that already struggles for crowds. As I said, whilst I hope we win every game we play, I hope this version of the tournament is the spectacular failure that it deserves to be, with the lowest possible attendances to embarrass the imbeciles who dreamt up this pish. 

Utter nonsense that Rangers can get away with supposedly not being able to raise an under20 side without being papped out the competition. It seems to be a race to degrade it.

I assume the friendly that they're away for was arranged before they were invited into the cup. Would seem a touch harsh to force them to cancel it.

Would be a different issue if this continues next year and they did it again though.

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Wow. I think the last time I saw a game with an under 20 side it was £3.

Was free at Murray Park for me, and a cup of (machine made) tea was 40p.

12/6 with no parent and child gate to watch a bunch of kids who will likely spend their career in the Ayrshire district league :lol: 

Archived